Wanted: MONOPOD

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited May 5, 2004 in Flea Market
Looking for opinions mostly on what brand to look for. I have a Manfrotto tripod but I want a mono for motorsports photography this summer. Any suggestions what I should look for? I will be using it to support/steady a 400mm telephoto lens. I don't know anything about them.

Thanks,

-Doug

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2004
    There are a lot of manufacturers out there. B+H has an extensive selection. If this direct link works you can find them here.

I currently use a Gitzo that is very tall, yet compact. I think theirs are the best, they tend to be the most expensive. I like the twist lock they use, it is fast and secure.

I have also used a Bogen that tightened from the side. It worked well and was tall. It had a fatter diameter and did not compact very small, but was very fast to adjust. For the price they are a great deal.

Slik makes one with a snap lock on the side for adjusting and the top section adjusts with a toggle type button to allow you to make incremental changes quickly.

Things to look for are diameter, extended and compact length, and if you like the way it operates. One recommendation would be to get one that extends farther than you think you might need. I have been in situations where I might be up on a short wall/box and it is easier to have it on the ground then the wall or if you are on a hill and it slopes down. I like to have it able to extend higher then to have to bend over to see through the camera.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Looking for opinions mostly on what brand to look for. I have a Manfrotto tripod but I want a mono for motorsports photography this summer. Any suggestions what I should look for? I will be using it to support/steady a 400mm telephoto lens. I don't know anything about them.

Thanks,

-Doug
    I just picked up a Manfrotto monopod for about $65. The legs work just like my Manfrotto tripod. It also accepts the same "head", but works fine without one.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • geckogecko Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2004
    id be careful with b&H their quality is usually good, but they are a bit steep
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 30, 2004
    gecko wrote:
    id be careful with b&H their quality is usually good, but they are a bit steep
    quality is good? A bogen is a bogen no matter where you buy it, no?

My BH experience is good. Their prices may not be Brooklyn cut rate, BUT, its in stock, ships when promised and backed up with some support.

Monopod - I've played with a friend's carbon fiber Bogen with snap locks. Very beefy, easy to adjust. And at just about $100, seemed like a good deal. Don't know the exact model.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 1, 2004
    I have a Manfrotto that I am happy with. It fits in the side case of the bike
    (which is important) but only if I take the head off. And then I realize it was
    easier to deal with the head off.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • csnudelmancsnudelman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2004
    I used to have a Gitzo but it just didn't feel sturdy enough for me. I now have a Bogen (Manfrotto) 681 and use a Slik SL-5 (now a Standard Ballhead II) ballhead. Nice fat leg sections, will support anything I use, love the secure snap feeling when the legs lock and not too heavy for me to carry around. Works for me.
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

Thanks,

-Doug

Motorsports my favorite subject, well, the Paris-Dakar and any motorcycle sport at least.....

I've got a Manfrotto 135 which is good. But unused for a long time. I've taken it to all sorts of places but have only used it fully shooting wildlife.

If you want to shoot moving vehicles I found it gets in the way. Difficult to pan with the erratic movement of vehicles when trying to fill the frame.

I sit down, cross legs at ankles, elbows into sides resting on hips. I then get a comfortable position to pan with left hand under lens and side strap holding hand to camera body. The extra freedom of movement from not having a pole sticking out the side of my lens + the need to get down low to shoot anyway has made the 'stick' redundant to me. I'm shooting a 1.8 200mm @ 1/250th and maybe 1/200th sometimes.

It's taken a few attempts to get things to a point at which more shots are in focus rather than a load of rubbish, although some might say differenty....Great fun...

A good belt with everything you need is a must. You dont want to be leaving things on the ground. I use a modified UFO. This also hold a 60w Digital Camera Battery which is a good investment for anyone looking for flash/camera/backup device power. Covers 1.2~16V eg all my stuff. http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com/

Of course it depends if you can't sit and must stand. There are some very high tech (Read expensive) free flow heads that will allow pan and tilt suitable for what you may need.

I'd go for a practice with some friends and try sitting and a monopod. See which method is best for you.

Hope thats of help...

Paul

456V0658-200.jpg
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières