Options

Say hello to the Olympus E-P1, apparently....

InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited June 18, 2009 in Cameras
It's only a rumour at the moment but if these images are fake, their creator should have a design job with Olympus. It looks gorgeous!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/07/olympus-e-p1-micro-four-thirds-shooter-leaked/

Comments

• Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    I'm so getting one of these.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Looks a lot like the old Pen series. Guess that is why they are making such a big deal about the pen series 50th anniversary - and adding the "P" (probably to stand for Pen) to differentiate it from the other E-series DSLRs. I think this is will be an innovative series that could help shape a new niche of cameras in the future. After all there was a niche for these in the 35mm days. Now that the DSLR and compact camera market is so saturated with options, I think these other arenas will start expanding.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    Thought this was interesting - not sure if they have the exact same dimensions, but this is an interesting pic anyways:
    http://www.omuser.com/attachments/day_090606/20090606_2eda66065b2e57f1264ffYot0MgB3fCZ.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    The camera body looks like a negative. The shadow from the lens is brighter. I bet thats a fake.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    A press release.....
    In Chinese but looking very un-fake like....

http://dcdv.zol.com.cn/137/1373538.html

And now leaked onto Engadget:

http://tinyurl.com/kv8qq3
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    wouldn't surpise me if they were coming out with such a toy... I remember getting a C-5000 and my pal getting a C-5050 back in 2003, when 5 megapixels and two different memory card drives were revolutionary. The 5050 in particular was a beast and appeared to us to be cutting edge in its offer sheet and related value.

Olympus tries everything and captures a scattering of the market. That said, still great value for the dollar I think.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    It's now official. I've not read the detail but there are have been some grumblings (and a fair bit of trolling) on various forums about AF speed.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusep1/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,826 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    Very cool. Not for everybody but this will make people think twice about conventional P&S vs interchangeable lens system cameras.

I love the new lens compatibility adapters which makes all existing as well as a great many older Olympus manual focus lenses available for use on the new camera.

WTG Olympus. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Even if you are from another camp, you have to admit this little camera looks pretty sweet. I think a whole new niche of cameras will follow by all the manufacturers in the coming years. Good on ya Oly!clap.gif
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Even if you are from another camp, you have to admit this little camera looks pretty sweet. I think a whole new niche of cameras will follow by all the manufacturers in the coming years. Good on ya Oly!clap.gif

It's too good!!!!

And I am not kidding its a E-620 in a LX3 sized body, making it my perfect camera for alot of my applications just that price tag is going to need some work before I can jump in :cry

Well I am in no rush....one will be mine someday hopefully sooner than later
  • Options
    startingjourneystartingjourney Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    It looks very interesting. I may consider getting it if the price went down or maybe getting a second version.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Want one, want one badly...

I've been waiting for this ever since micro four thirds was announced (and dreaming about something like this even before), the perfect carry-anywhere platform.

that price is pretty steep though...
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    The E-P1 appears to be compatible with the Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm lens. This is good news and should help those in need of a superzoom now.

I gather that "MegaOIS" is not available on the Olympus bodies?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The E-P1 appears to be compatible with the Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm lens. This is good news and should help those in need of a superzoom now.

I am pretty sure it can work since I remember other E-420 owners going for panasonic lenses for OIS, but there is not much of a reason to:

OIS is viewed as better than sensor based since what you see is what you get in the viewfinder, in a full time live view camera this advantage is lost.

Also if you're going to use a lens that size the G/GH1 would be a better option for stability, and you would not losing much in practicality, since once you get to that size it's no longer a pocketable camera and you're using some sort of small case
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

The Olympus has in body stabilization so all lenses are stabilized. Now, the in body stabilization apparently does not work with movies while in lens stabilization apparently does...... (I'm sure there's a reason for that)...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    found a "hands-on" preview over at photo.net:
    http://photo.net/equipment/olympus/ep1/preview/
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    found a "hands-on" preview over at photo.net:
    http://photo.net/equipment/olympus/ep1/preview/

This reviewer is claiming that, "AF was also fast.", in contrast to the DPReview, "... the samples we've tried have very slow focus in anything but perfect light ...".

It will be interesting to see comparisons of the AF speeds of the Olympus E-P1 with the Panasonic Lumix G1.

I note that the Olympus E-P1 has an ISO 6400 which looks surprisingly capable, especially compared to P&S cameras and advanced digicams.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I note that the Olympus E-P1 has an ISO 6400 which looks surprisingly capable, especially compared to P&S cameras and advanced digicams.

Ziggy - this isn't news to you, but I thought I'd bring it up:
    With the sensor being the same size as other 4/3 sensors it's not surprising that high ISO performance is good. The pixel density of that sensor (assuming it's the same as the E-620) is 5.1 MP/cm². The Canon Powershot G9, for example, has the same pixel count but the pixel density is 28 MP/cm² - that's a big difference! The higher megapixel Powershot G10 has a pixel density of 34 MP/cm². For comparison, the new Rebel T1i (500D) has a pixel density of 4.5 MP/cm².

While sensor noise is not simply a product of pixel density it certainly plays a big role!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Yes, sensor size plays a role and it's true that the Olympus Four-Thirds sensors are not that far removed from the APS-C sized sensors. It would also appear that Olympus and Panasonic are realizing some impressive improvements in the newest sensors in regard to high-ISO noise levels. In particular the Olympus E-620 and the E-P1 are looking interesting at ISO 3200 and frankly darned nice at ISO 1600.

Kudos to Olympus. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This reviewer is claiming that, "AF was also fast.", in contrast to the DPReview, "... the samples we've tried have very slow focus in anything but perfect light ...".

It will be interesting to see comparisons of the AF speeds of the Olympus E-P1 with the Panasonic Lumix G1.
    In terms of speed, I'm more interested in "shutter" lag time. This could be the motorcycle-trip DSLR solution I've been wanting, but only if the shutter is faster than my Canon G9.

Pixel densities be what they will, I still think the Canon sensors produce better results than the only other current micro 4/3 camera out at the moment, the Panasonic DMC-G1. I have been underwhelmed by the fringing/noise/general quality of the photos from that camera. I hope this Olympus sensor does better.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    I just read a report that says the EP-1 should available in about 2 weeks for purchase! If that's true it's pretty exciting. thumb.gif
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    I just read a report that says the EP-1 should available in about 2 weeks for purchase! If that's true it's pretty exciting. thumb.gif
    Bh is taking pre-orders
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    It looks like you can order the kit with a black or a silver lens. That's pretty cool.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009