Options

Taking up the Backyard Theme...

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited June 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Not quite Italy, and not exactly landscapes, but we work with what's available.

From this spring. The first signs of life after a long winter...

111596812.jpg

Last summer. The woods around our house are full of wild roses in late May, early June (yes June is summer in AK)

94193190.jpg

Last fall. This one was in-fact taken off the back porch.

93350008.jpg

A couple of winters back. Sunrise at forty below (F or C, take your pick).

108290107.jpg
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Beautiful series. The fist two are my favorite. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I really like seeing the wide variety of back yards we have here on Dgrin. It's inspiring!

Amazing where you live, too. Gorgeous summer flowers and I'm shocked at the starkness of your winters.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, Schmoo and Mahesh. Yes the diversity that we all get to experience through this medium is pretty cool. The diversity of nature in Alaska is quite amazing. In mid winter it's hard to imagine any life at all up here. But by the first of June, 20 hours per day of sunshine works miracles. But is passes quickly...
    Dan

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Beautiful photos! That is some back yard you have. The first one is absolutely gorgeous as well as the golden leaves.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    ...That is some back yard you have...
    It has its downsides. Right now for instance the mosquitoes are so bad it's hard to get out and do anything around the house. Also this is the first year my bride decided to plant a vegetable garden. So I built her a nice raised bed planter in a nice sunny part of the yard. Things were going well until a couple of days ago when a moose came through and ate all her plants. And she didn't even get a picture of it... ne_nau.gif
    Dan

• Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    It has its downsides. Right now for instance the mosquitoes are so bad it's hard to get out and do anything around the house. Also this is the first year my bride decided to plant a vegetable garden. So I built her a nice raised bed planter in a nice sunny part of the yard. Things were going well until a couple of days ago when a moose came through and ate all her plants. And she didn't even get a picture of it... ne_nau.gif

lovely images, especially the first. i see you live in alaska - lots of opportunities for wonderful shots too, someone just sent us a series of gorgeous images done there, although they don't look exactly like backyard shots!!i must find the winter terrace shots i took this year - after 25 years in ottawa, and having missed the 4 metres of snow that they had last winter, i miss it (but not the shovelling!!!) we got 1 cm here, and that was a lot for here! cheers, sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Love that sunrise at -40 clap.gif