Options

Practicing with a reflector

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 23, 2009 in People
Did these for a friend this evening (hair to die for or what?!) - we finally had some SUNLIGHT (after what seems like weeks and weeks of rain), so we went and played for an hour or so. C&C welcome!

Some of these were taken through the Magic Glass Bricks (not quite as good as The Magic Garage, but hey - we make do with what we have :D), and the others were outside, all around 6pm.

568883758_vfNNN-L.jpg

568668541_RmpSk-L.jpg

568668598_GskbA-L.jpg

568668646_R8xAq-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    #1 rocks the world off of its axis!
    IMO, it's the "Rabbit Shot". rolleyes1.gif

NICE work there, diva.

Curious Q: When in the shoot did this one come to life (early or later)?
    It's reminiscent of the 'other' ladies pose that I liked.....
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I agree, the first one is fantastic!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    1 and 3 have great lighting! I need to remember to take my reflector with me. Gonna try it out tonight with 8:00 light.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    #1 is excellent. I love the pose, the eye contact and the lighting.

Well done!!bowdown.gif

I find the covered eye in 2 distracting.

3 is good, but the smile feels a little forced.

4 the lighting looks kind of flat. How did you light that one?
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    +1 for #1!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    Thanks everybody! I think #1 is the best processing/retouching I've ever done... I just wish I could remember all the steps I used (I know some of them for sure, just not all) :wow I do love reflected light when it's on offer - it's just so *pretty*.

Buggsy, you make me laugh out loud (literally) - I KNEW as soon as I saw your name there'd be mention of a rabbit in some form :D (I think I need an appropriate new avatar rolleyes1.gif). That shot was taken in the middle of the session0 somewhere - it looks similar to the other one since it's the exact same hallway w/glass brick windows at a similar time of day (nothing like repeating myself, eh?) Dunno - it seems to bring out the slightly-sultry-challenging-but-attractive-look in my models rolleyes1.gif

Mitchell, #3 and #4 were once we moved outside and are actually in the exact same position and light - I just moved slightly between shots, I think. For these it was the low sun behind her and a reflector aimed at her, gold side used for most of them although as the sun went down and got weaker I switched to silver. I think the difference can be accounted for in that she doesn't like "bright" and although she gamely put up with it (and is THHHRRRRIIIILLLEEEED with the pictures :whew) she kept instinctively moving OUT of the reflected light so some of this series worked better than others.

One thing this set really shows me is that I really need to process them all as well as I did that first one - the last three had less done to them (you can see that in the skin texture) and although I think they're "ok", they don't have the same wow factor IMO. Definitely time for me to try and streamline my workflow and, more importantly REMEMBER my workflow when I do these quite-retouched-but-want-them-to-look-natural shots. I spend an awful lot of time trying to make it look like I did nothing at all.... rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the kind words and pointers, as always - appreciated!
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    I like #1; the eyes are great (canoes, and in focus!). The hair being what it is, I would have included more of it, although I really like to fill the frame, but there's always a danger of the hair dominating everything.
    I don't like the hidden eye in #2;

In #3 the lighting is great, but the eyes are closing up a bit.

I think #4 looks too flat.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Good going! Definite improvement! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Thanks, both!!! iloveyou.gif

Wil, there are a few where the hair is more prominent but I've actually had to crop some of it out in those - definitely a risk of the "Cowardly Lion" look if there's too much....

Still processing and trying to remember what I did. I know I added a "screen" blend layer at some point which seems to have been what really made the skin tone just right, but I can't remember at what point (and because I'm low on hdd space at the moment I didn't save it as a .psd with all the layers like I usually do - wouldn't you know it!!)

PS "Canoes"? (not quite sure I know what that means in this context but I think it was a compliment so.... thanks!!)
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I personally like #2 the best. The hair over one eye adds a bit of mystery to the model. BTW...She has beautiful eys and smile!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    PS "Canoes"? (not quite sure I know what that means in this context but I think it was a compliment so.... thanks!!)

The eye whites in shot 1; with her looking up, the bottom whites are exposed, thus creating an image of an exaggerated 'canoe'.... Look back, you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    The eye whites in shot 1; with her looking up, the bottom whites are exposed, thus creating an image of an exaggerated 'canoe'.... Look back, you'll see what I mean.

Well duh - once you point it out, it's obvious!

A couple more from the series - I find it fascinating how different this gal looks dependent on the angle and lighting. Sure, true of everybody to some extent, but I REALLY see it in her - very different facial planes depending on how you shoot her.

She is ECSTATIC with them, which comes as a much needed bright spot after a few really tough days - I'm so happy. Best part was she said they "gave her a boost of confidence" when she saw them, and I honestly can't imagine a better compliment than that. YAY.

1. Can't decide if the hint of flare bothers me or not, but I like the way her eyes came out in this one.

570373891_ETbYo-M-4.jpg

2. Decided to have some fun with processing :D

571127023_RxW2Q-M-1.jpg

3. Does this one need more pop? Can't decide....
    571126998_butBS-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    See bold;

divamum wrote:

1. Can't decide if the hint of flare bothers me or not, but I like the way her eyes came out in this one.

Whats distracting here is the light is cut-off high on her forehead. Maybe a tighter crop (???)
    I Like how she's popped a couple buttons (hey, I'm a guy) in this one and wouldn't want to lose this.....

570373891_ETbYo-M-4.jpg

2. Decided to have some fun with processing :D

For me, it's not workin' (sorry 'bout that). I *think* it's got to much 'something' and needs to be reeled in a bit.

571127023_RxW2Q-M-1.jpg

3. Does this one need more pop? Can't decide....

Yes, MORE 'pop'! GO FOR IT!!!

571126998_butBS-M-1.jpg

So far the original "rabbit" is the winner BUT,,,, there's potential here in this set. :D

JMO.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    I just noticed..... In 1 & 3, it looks as though she has 2 different noses - I'm not sure if I'd pursue 3 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    The immediate impression I get when I see #1 is "ah, here's an interesting woman, but she looks as if she has a secret… it's not exactly a smirk, but what exactly is she thinking about?"

OK, I wouldn't worry too much about the flare; if anything, it softens the image slightly, which isn't A Bad Thing (IMNSHO). The eyes are SO IMPORTANT when thinking about portraits.

(1) they have to be in focus (yeah, obvious, right mwink.gif ), but here's the thing about the "canoes": look at any portrait (both men and women; exactly the same rules), from any era, look at the eyes!

(2) look at the eyes; if the head is tilted down (even slightly), the eyes have to look up slightly (to look into the lens and connect with the viewer) and the "canoes" are there, and the subject seems subservient, or humble or modest†. Now, have the subject tilt the head up, and of course the eyes have to now look down, and the total subject/viewer relationship has changed; now the subject seems to peer down at the viewer, seeming to be almost being aloof, superior or scorning.

OK, so the question is: "humble, subservient, modest" is more attractive than "aloof, proud, dominating, scornful" ? I'll let you decide on the answer…

(I'm not just making this up, it really is just Portraiture 101 mwink.gif)

Sorry if this sounds like I'm preaching, but that's the way it works; eye contact is so important in human interaction; it always has been, and it always will be - the eyes are the windows of the soul. It is exactly the same when you look at portraits - The Eyes Have It! thumb.gif

- Wil

† actually, I've just thought of an exception: check out Alfred Eisenstaedt's picture of Joseph Goebbels taken in Geneva in 1933 (makes me shudder!)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    The immediate impression I get when I see #1 is "ah, here's an interesting woman, but she looks as if she has a secret… it's not exactly a smirk, but what exactly is she thinking about?"

Goodie - that was the goal :D Fortunately, this was a "play" session for both of us, so we just had a good time and tried out all sorts of different things. "Attitude" was one of them, and from what you say... that's what's coming across!
    OK, I wouldn't worry too much about the flare; if anything, it softens the image slightly, which isn't A Bad Thing (IMNSHO). The eyes are SO IMPORTANT when thinking about portraits.

(1) they have to be in focus (yeah, obvious, right mwink.gif ), but here's the thing about the "canoes": look at any portrait (both men and women; exactly the same rules), from any era, look at the eyes!

(2) look at the eyes; if the head is tilted down (even slightly), the eyes have to look up slightly (to look into the lens and connect with the viewer) and the "canoes" are there, and the subject seems subservient, or humble or modest†. Now, have the subject tilt the head up, and of course the eyes have to now look down, and the total subject/viewer relationship has changed; now the subject seems to peer down at the viewer, seeming to be almost being aloof, superior or scorning.

OK, so the question is: "humble, subservient, modest" is more attractive than "aloof, proud, dominating, scornful" ? I'll let you decide on the answer…

(I'm not just making this up, it really is just Portraiture 101 mwink.gif)

This is awesome - I really work for "sparkly eyes", but I have no formal art theory training, so hearing it codified like this is both fascinating and really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write it up! thumb.gif

Buggs, I left the bottom of the shirt in that one as-is for PRECISELY the reason you mentioned... which is why it was a bugger to crop ;) (that really is the bottom of the shot). I can't quite see the double nose in that last one, but I'll have another look.

The neat thing about this whole shoot is that it has just been FUN. Whee!!
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Buggs, I left the bottom of the shirt in that one as-is for PRECISELY the reason you mentioned... which is why it was a bugger to crop ;) (that really is the bottom of the shot). I can't quite see the double nose in that last one, but I'll have another look.

The neat thing about this whole shoot is that it has just been FUN. Whee!!

It's the lighting in 3..... the shadow cast makes her shnozz look bigger in that of 1. All I'm thinking about is what her thoughts might be IF presented with both photo's, side by each.

To havin' "fun"! (cheers).