Options

Vintage Alarm Clock

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited June 21, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I took this in the studio, using a single strobe. Ever-so-slight crop (more to level the image than anything), mild saturation adjustments and sharpening at 147%. No other processing. C&C welcome.

CollectiveShoot1410001.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Excellent detail Lee. I think I see a fingerprint in the black just above the 2 !
    Is there an advantage to sharpening at > 100% ? Judging from this image I guess there is.headscratch.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Nice shot! thumb.gif
    Did you try sepia or tri-x bw? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Nice detail; have you tried softening the light (diffuser?) to try and remove the harsh edges of the shadows?

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Nice detail; have you tried softening the light (diffuser?) to try and remove the harsh edges of the shadows?

- Wil
    I personally think harsh shadows are integral part of this shot. It's an alarm clock for chrissake, it is supposed to be lit with a bedlamp, not with a 8 light glamour setup... deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I personally think harsh shadows are integral part of this shot. It's an alarm clock for chrissake, it is supposed to be lit with a bedlamp, not with a 8 light glamour setup... deal.gif

My mistake, I thought the OP was asking for C&C, not just sycophantic "Me Too!!!"s

rolleyes1.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    Hi Lee,

I find this picture to be evocative of mixed reactions. I, at first, did not care too much for the vast black space on the right. On reflection, however, I consider it an important element of the overall image. I think the stark difference between the bright white and pitch black, along with the crisp line definitions, are the very aspects that give the picture its power.

Very well conceived and executed.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Excellent detail Lee. I think I see a fingerprint in the black just above the 2 !
    Is there an advantage to sharpening at > 100% ? Judging from this image I guess there is.headscratch.gif

Thank you, Jack. You think right. I was going to dust it and wipe off the print, but then decided that the schmutz added to the image.

The way I generally sharpen an image is to start at 100% (sharpening and image size), then oscillate the percentage slider up and down until I like it.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice shot! thumb.gif
    Did you try sepia or tri-x bw? headscratch.gif

What? I thought the stains already were sepia! rolleyes1.gif Actually, no, I hadn't thought about converting it to mono, because it pretty much already is. :D Besides, I like the yellowish stains on the face. For an image like this one, though, sometimes I may desaturate it by fifty to eighty percent, thus leaving just a touch of those colors. This time, though, I chose not to. Thank you, Nikolai.
    Wil Davis wrote:

- Wil

Thanks. You must have been channeling me, Wil. :D While planning this shot I was considering a soft box, but I wanted the harsh-edged shadows. Also, the larger size of a soft box would have made avoiding reflections in the curved glass very difficult. So for those two reasons - but 98% the first one - I decided to go with the bare bulb. As it was, that single light was almost directly above the clock; nearly a foot out and close to three feet up.

And believe me, Nikolai isn't one for sycophantic "me too" C&Cs. I should know; when I participate in his assignments, I usually get some of his harshest responses. He expects his Dgrin Assignments students to do their very best. So, in this case, I consider his words a great compliment.

And speaking of eight-light glamour set-ups. . . . :Dmwink.gif
    Hi Lee,

I find this picture to be evocative of mixed reactions. I, at first, did not care too much for the vast black space on the right. On reflection, however, I consider it an important element of the overall image. I think the stark difference between the bright white and pitch black, along with the crisp line definitions, are the very aspects that give the picture its power.

Very well conceived and executed.

Tom

Thank you very much, Tom. You saw it exactly as I'd intended it.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Thank you, Jack. You think right. I was going to dust it and wipe off the print, but then decided that the schmutz added to the image.

The way I generally sharpen an image is to start at 100% (sharpening and image size), then oscillate the percentage slider up and down until I like it.

Oh of course (the sharpening), I was thinking you viewed the image at 147% (although how you'd do that I don't know) while sharpening. Guess I was having one of those increasingly frequent "senior moments". :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Oh of course (the sharpening), I was thinking you viewed the image at 147% (although how you'd do that I don't know) while sharpening. Guess I was having one of those increasingly frequent "senior moments". :D

Heh! Yeah, I just pick random magnification numbers while sharpening my images. :D

Actually, while sharpening, I'll view an image at a size near that which it will be when finished. That way I have a pretty good idea of how it'll look.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook