edited June 27, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
570141012_DNDEB-M.jpgB

The eyes have it!!!

570074836_bfAPw-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Ok, well I know the first one isn't extemely sharp but since he's my rooster I have more chances to get a better one I just wanted to know if I should bother. He's name is Zeus.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I like him, but I everyone else is better than me at this, so I was waiting to see what others thought.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    I like him, but I everyone else is better than me at this, so I was waiting to see what others thought.

thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hi Camel..:D

I like the first one, it is strongest for theme... The bokeh and the eyes say circles to me...

My advice is to burn in the pupils to make them complete and to stand out. Get the glare out of the eyes and pupils and the beak. There is a little bit of over exposure on his red things, ha ha..rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif ... whatever you call them.. I can't remember..headscratch.gif so I would darken them just a little and give them color so they are not washed out pink...

Nice capture... thumb.gif

Kat:
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Thanks Kat, good advice and I appreciate it much.

g
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Your Very Welcome Camel..thumb.gif

So what are those red thing's called? I am curious now. Laughing.gif ..

cottles? cuttles? I am making up words I think.. :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    I'll have to get back to you on that one, I'm not sure myself.
    I just always called them gobblers. lol

g
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    Gobblers.......:lol4:lol4:lol4

your making me laugh.. Like I am one to talk.. I called them cottles..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I think this is a very creative photo :)

Have you tried a vertical crop on it?

What about shooting just his profile with one eye in perfect focus?
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Gobblers.......:lol4:lol4:lol4

your making me laugh.. Like I am one to talk.. I called them cottles..rolleyes1.gif

Hey Kat, got the answers:

The red crest on top of a rooster's head is called cockscomb or cock's comb.
    You are referring to the Wattle...It is a red flap of "skin" that hangs down under the beak
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    The bokeh in #1 is fantastic!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    #1 cracks me up. The look on that face is priceless. It's a great shot and definitely theme-worthy. My only nit is that the DOF is off by a little and this can come back to haunt you. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Hey Kat, got the answers:

The red crest on top of a rooster's head is called cockscomb or cock's comb.
    You are referring to the Wattle...It is a red flap of "skin" that hangs down under the beak

wave.gifHI Camel,

Sorry, about the late reply,, I never got an email notification you posted again...

Ok,,cock's comb.... rolleyes1.gifHA HA...

Wattle.. that is what I was trying to remember when I said "Cottle" :lol4

HA HA HA.rolleyes1.gif

thanks for the trivia..

Any luck on your submission? you sure have been quiet this round.. Must be super busy on the other end.. thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    What about shooting just his profile with one eye in perfect focus?

15524779-Ti.gif
    that would really say 'circle' to me.

My advice is to burn in the pupils to make them complete and to stand out. Get the glare out of the eyes and pupils and the beak.

if you decide to keep this shot however, i'm not sure about getting the glare out... i'm afraid it might look artificial if you get the glare out completely... maybe just enough so it's not distracting, but keep some so it looks realistic. ne_nau.gif

i do agree with others that this is a great shot of him!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Hi Camel..:D

I like the first one, it is strongest for theme... The bokeh and the eyes say circles to me...

M
    Kat:

I have no idea what 'bokeh' is. Can somebody fill me in? And Camel, both shots made me smile out loud. :D
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    kds1 wrote:
    I have no idea what 'bokeh' is. Can somebody fill me in? And Camel, both shots made me smile out loud. :D

kds - I just learned a few weeks ago too! :Dmwink.gif Referring to the background - just google it, you'll get a better answer than I can provide.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    kds1 wrote:

How nice of you. Bokeh is the background smoothness? Someone else might have a more technical explanation for ya.

gail
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    kds - I just learned a few weeks ago too! :Dmwink.gif Referring to the background - just google it, you'll get a better answer than I can provide.

Whiterice,

Bokeh is the blurred effect you get when you shoot with a small aperture number, when you open your lens real wide, it blurs the background behind your subject and in this case with Gail's Rooster, there was bits of sunlight, I am guessing bouncing off of something, maybe the leaves on the tree and the effect of bokeh makes them look like circles.. It is really an awesome effect,, you should practice it...

Kat

P.S> The intensity of the effect will depend on your lens too... A lens that can open up more gives a greater effect...
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Whiterice,

Bokeh is the blurred effect you get when you shoot with a small aperture number, when you open your lens real wide, it blurs the background behind your subject and in this case with Gail's Rooster, there was bits of sunlight, I am guessing bouncing off of something, maybe the leaves on the tree and the effect of bokeh makes them look like circles.. It is really an awesome effect,, you should practice it...

Kat

P.S> The intensity of the effect will depend on your lens too... A lens that can open up more gives a greater effect...

Thanks for clarifiying this Kat, I didn't know how to techincally explain it.

Ya know I tried to take more shots of Zeus in the same area with the same lens but didn't get that same bokeh again. Ah well, back to drawing board.

g
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Oohhh! Bokeh. Gotcha.

Thanks!

Kara
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks for clarifiying this Kat, I didn't know how to techincally explain it.

Ya know I tried to take more shots of Zeus in the same area with the same lens but didn't get that same bokeh again. Ah well, back to drawing board.

g

No Problem, always happy to help if I can..

After reading this, I took another look at your newest shots.. I am only assuming those are the ones you are referring to here, so please correct me if I am wrong..:D

Anyways,,, It looks like you did get that effect, only there was not the same light play in the shot to give you that pretty round circle effect... If you have less light then it will just make colors look creamy...I also notice more motion in those new shots too, and that will have an impact too and lessen the results from the perfect circle in the Bokeh fully developing..:Dthumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    It isn't screaming circle or square to me.... but maybe if you can get a nice clean shot of Zeus in profile with a big wide eye and get the rooster comb in profile too, that would speak some circles, quirky, interesting to me. The second one is a good pic, be proud of it.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Photobug beat me to it. Serves me right for not reading the answers first. :cry
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    It isn't screaming circle or square to me.... but maybe if you can get a nice clean shot of Zeus in profile with a big wide eye and get the rooster comb in profile too, that would speak some circles, quirky, interesting to me. The second one is a good pic, be proud of it.

thumb.gif

** A little late, but this is what wikipedia tells about on bokeh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh :D

Now, I'm not sure which ones are the new images... headscratch.gif
    - but if the #1 has been changed somehow,
    I like it better than before - maybe it's the same image and I see it differently now??? rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    If you are referring to the last two pic with the guy in the tux the bokeh was forced in post with gaussion, watercolor or stained glass filter, and a possible motion blur and the man stayed preserved. They did a really nice job... very clean. Bokehs are great.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Psssh, don't mind me. I'm just not with it lately. I didn't read your response properly but now I see what you mean. Looking at the bokeh wiki made Gail's first picture look more stunning... maybe we're appreciating her great bokeh??