Options

Might have to address size limitations

surfmonkey89surfmonkey89 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited June 22, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Now that I have a D700 I'm unable to upload my originals from Lightroom. I verified this by simply importing a photo and immediately uploading it via jfriedl's plugin. I get an error saying that I'm over my limit as a Power User.

This sucks because now I can't upload my originals, and I'm only over by like 300KB. I totally get that there need to be limits in place, but I think with all the new cameras producing such huge files you might want to recalibrate things a bit.

Might I suggest you increase your upper limit for Power users by...say...500KB or so? :) Seriously though, it would kinda suck to have to upgrade over such a little discrepancy.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

paul

lukinich.smugmug.com
Paul

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Hi, try exporting at 98, 97 or some lower number that will get the jpg under 12mb, then you can upload it to SmugMug. Thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    What JPEG compression level are you selecting for the export/upload?

With a proper compression level (~85% on the 1-100% scale or level 10 on the 1-12 scale), you should have no problem uploading 12 megapixel images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    uploading 12 megapixel images.

Just to be clear, it's not 12megapixels that's the issue (we allow up to 48 megapixels) ... it's that his files are over 12 megabytes each - and for standard and power accounts we allow up to 12 Mb, Pro accounts up to 24 megabytes.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Just to be clear, it's not 12megapixels that's the issue (we allow up to 48 megapixels) ... it's that his files are over 12 megabytes each - and for standard and power accounts we allow up to 12 Mb, Pro accounts up to 24 megabytes.
    My point is that the 12 Megapixel file should not be over 12 MB if he uses a reasonable JPEG compression value.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    surfmonkey89surfmonkey89 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    I was uploading the NEF.

What I do to get around it is exactly what you suggest: make it a jpg and/or decrease the quality to < 100%. That kind of gets away from the idea of having my originals in the cloud though.
    Paul
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    I was uploading the NEF.

What I do to get around it is exactly what you suggest: make it a jpg and/or decrease the quality to < 100%. That kind of gets away from the idea of having my originals in the cloud though.
    Smugmug doesn't accept NEF files, you should convert to JPEG at quality level 10. If you want to keep NEF originals in the cloud, then Smugmug offers SmugVault which is an added service that lets you store any kind of document in the cloud including your RAW files and they can even be associated with photos in your galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular