Options

The Contestant_______________IR

PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Howdy All,

Went to the Johnson County Sheriff's Posse Rodeo last Saturday night, talk about a slice of Americana. We just love going to this event, takes you back to the 1960's feel of things, just good people, good Rodeo Riders, and wonderful night.

This little girl was riding in the Mutton Busting event a little later in the evening, #5 Kelsey.

114117159.jpg

Thanks for looking, shot with modded D70S, had to push things, it was getting kind of dark and running out of light.
Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy All,

Went to the Johnson County Sheriff's Posse Rodeo last Saturday night, talk about a slice of Americana. We just love going to this event, takes you back to the 1960's feel of things, just good people, good Rodeo Riders, and wonderful night.

This little girl was riding in the Mutton Busting event a little later in the evening, #5 Kelsey.

114117159.jpg

Thanks for looking, shot with modded D70S, had to push things, it was getting kind of dark and running out of light.

I used to shoot events there, many a time. But, I've never seen it in IR!

Give me a shout-out next time, maybe we can meet-up.
    Randy
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Sorry but I have to ask - what is the 'hooha' about IR photo's? they look aweful and don't show the beauty of the photograph at all. Bit like overdone HDR I suppose, just a passing fad (I hope)

.DAVID.

PS: just my opinion, sorry if I offend anyone
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I used to shoot events there, many a time. But, I've never seen it in IR!

Give me a shout-out next time, maybe we can meet-up.

Morning Randy,

Good to hear from you, we just love going to that arena,

we'll have to get together, it's been a little warm lately to stay

out too long, that 104 yesterday kind of "Wilted" me:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Gnome wrote:
    Sorry but I have to ask - what is the 'hooha' about IR photo's? they look aweful and don't show the beauty of the photograph at all. Bit like overdone HDR I suppose, just a passing fad (I hope)

.DAVID.

Howdy David,

Thanks for you reply and thoughts, I don't think IR is a passing fad, it's been around for a long time in film, and I think the modding of cameras for IR is up over 600% from last year, so I guess you either need to get used to it or simply don't look:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Ah well, each to their own - it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing eh.

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Gnome wrote:

.DAVID.

Of course, I don't agree with this, David. But I do think that IR shots require careful composition and processing. Unfortunately, Panther, I'm not sure this one really works. I'm just being honest. And, of course, it's just my peculiar "eye" on things. I've had my share of IR shots that I thought worked but others did not. I'm no trying to be overly critical.

But I think the only thing that commends this shot is the odd IR coloring. And I don't think that's enough to make an IR image work. In other words, without the IR this shot would never make it. The composition is off and the subject matter is just not that interesting. Now, I know, IR makes some normally uninteresting subjects quite wonderful. But you have to be careful, right? The IR factor does not work with everything.

What do you think? Does that make sense? rolleyes1.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy All,

114117159.jpg

Good shot Panther, This shot reminds me of an alien movie where the subjects didn't know they were turning into gray aliens, zombies.

I really like the shot!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Gnome wrote:
    Ah well, each to their own - it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing eh.

.DAVID.

Howdy David,

:D I have to agree, that's what keeps it interesting.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Of course, I don't agree with this, David. But I do think that IR shots require careful composition and processing. Unfortunately, Panther, I'm not sure this one really works. I'm just being honest. And, of course, it's just my peculiar "eye" on things. I've had my share of IR shots that I thought worked but other did not. I'm no trying to be overly critical.

But I think the only thing that commends this shot is the odd IR coloring. And I don't think that's enough to make an IR image work. In other words, without the IR this shot would never make it. The composition is off and the subject matter is just not that interesting. Now, I know, IR makes some normally uninteresting subjects quite wonderful. But you have to be careful, right? The IR factor does not work with everything.

What do you think? Does that make sense? rolleyes1.gif

Howdy Jeff,

Once again, we seem to agree to disagree, the shot was as I liked it, not trying to be argumentive, but this was as I saw it, and I do agree the "False Color" gave it a different feel, but this was a small town Rodeo, where a young girl and her mother (holding the Vest with #5) caught my attention and that was what I was trying to capture, and I liked the end result of the coloring, could the shot have been done different, most certainly, could it have been done better, most certainly, but this is the shot I presented because "I" liked it, photography like so many other things is subjective, and I think I'll stop there:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Jeff,

Once again, we seem to agree to disagree, the shot was as I liked it, not trying to be argumentive, but this was as I saw it, and I do agree the "False Color" gave it a different feel, but this was a small town Rodeo, where a young girl and her mother (holding the Vest with #5) caught my attention and that was what I was trying to capture, and I liked the end result of the coloring, could the shot have been done different, most certainly, could it have been done better, most certainly, but this is the shot I presented because "I" liked it, photography like so many other things is subjective, and I think I'll stop there:D

Of course, Panther, I appreciate what you say and agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if you like the shot, I can understand why. You were there, and it preserves a memory for you. No problem. I understand and appreciate that.

But my (objective) criticism of this image still stands. The composition is cramped and jumbled. There're no central subject. There's a distracting head in the lower left corner. Everyone in the image is turned away from the camera. Is there a woman with red hair behind the guy with the cowboy hat? The horizon cuts through the center of the image. This might have been a better shot if composed as a landscape crop. Possibly. I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I like the shot. But unlike many of your others, it's not a very artistic shot. iloveyou.gif
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Of course, Panther, I appreciate what you say and agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if you like the shot, I can understand why. You were there, and it preserves a memory for you. No problem. I understand and appreciate that.

But my (objective) criticism of this image still stands. The composition is cramped and jumbled. There're no central subject. There's a distracting head in the lower left corner. Everyone in the image is turned away from the camera. Is there a woman with red hair behind the guy with the cowboy hat? The horizon cuts through the center of the image. This might have been a better shot if composed as a landscape crop. Possibly. I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I like the shot. But unlike many of your others, it's not a very artistic shot. iloveyou.gif

Howdy Jeff,

I appreciate your thoughts, and insights,
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Jeff,

I appreciate your thoughts, and insights,

You are very gracious. I hope I didn't overstep my bounds. :hide
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Jeff,

Your first range of comments regarding Graig's picture, right or wrong, reflected, I'm sure, your sincere feelings and were accepted as such by Craig. Your second range of comments was totally unnecessary, repetitious, inflamatory, and not at all in keeping with the genial spirit this forum tries to foster.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Jeff,

Your first range of comments regarding Graig's picture, right or wrong, reflected, I'm sure, your sincere feelings and were accepted as such by Craig. Your second range of comments was totally unnecessary, repetitious, inflamatory, and not at all in keeping with the genial spirit this forum tries to foster.

I'm sorry. Unnecessary and repetitious I can see. Forgive me. But inflammatory? I certainly didn't intend anything like that. I thought I tried not to be snarky or caustic. All I did was fill out a very general critique in the first response with a little more detail.

Panther, please forgive me. Black mamba, if you are a moderator on this forum, then feel free to delete my comments. I don't want to give the wrong impression or encourage the wrong kind of behavior.
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    I'm sorry. Unnecessary and repetitious I can see. Forgive me. But inflammatory? I certainly didn't intend anything like that. I thought I tried not to be snarky or caustic. All I did was fill out a very general critique in the first response with a little more detail.

Panther, please forgive me. Black mamba, if you are a moderator on this forum, then feel free to delete my comments. I don't want to give the wrong impression or encourage the wrong kind of behavior.

OK Guys, please let's just stop this now, this was a shot that I liked and thought that I would share. This has gotten a little out of control and don't want any hard feelings anywhere, so please just let this go quietly, and please return to your normal viewing forums:D and post some pics.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas