Options

#28 Refreshing Circles

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited June 26, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
"Refreshing Circles" - No, that's not the title of the image....still a work in progress - just not clever enough at this hour! :wink

I'm going to reshoot, but before I do I wanted to gather some expert input. Some obvious fixes in the next shoot - add ice! (as soon as I can find some photogenic ice), even the vignette, maybe a little too hot on the lemon? What else?

573399200_4zSXM-M.jpg

And I promise that I haven't been procrastinating.....I've had many ideas, got kicked out of several grocery stores AND a laundromat for this theme!:rofl
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Delmar "Was it just the one Woolworths or the whole chain"
    I like the colors cool and refreshing.
    You need to mumble more and have small outburst (these canned goods are not cooperating):tiptoewhen shooting in public then they will leave you alone.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I don't know, I kinda like this as is, not sure if you need to add ice, although I would try it just to see. I really like the repetition of circles you have going on there. A nice simple composition from a great perspective, and the colors, as mentioned, very refreshing. Nice jobthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Very cool, I like the idea and how it came out so far. I like the colors, there is a definite mood here. Watch the shadows on the umbrella 'pole'. Great DOF.

Laundromat? A long row of dryers I presume? Neat idea.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Definitely needs ice.

That's an aesthetic judgement, not a technical one. :D
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Definitely needs ice.

Yeah, the more I look at it, I think you're right
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Very nice, I like it clap.gif

- I guess that you can give it a try with ice too - just as a variation... ne_nau.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I like the concept a lot.

The picture makes me want some lemonade! Could you send some and along with it some sun? It's been raining for days, with more to come. :cry:cry

If you are going to reshoot, I would experiment with repositioning the paper umbrella. Have it point towards the lower left corner for example instead of parallel to the straw. Or at other angles As is, for me it gives the photo a static feel. Which may be fine, since in is a graphic.

Whatever you decide, tis a good, solid entry!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif 100%
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Definitely needs ice.

15524779-Ti.gif.. I have noticed Mark is usually right with the tweaks,,, I would definitely try it with ice.. It would add some light dimension.. I really like the colors here whiterice and the processing... it is almost nostalgic. I really favor that straw and the way you shot it.... Great entry,,,thumb.gif Kat
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I know they make cubes that look like ice that would look good in there. Maybe at a Hobby Store?
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Definitely square ice would be ideal.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    I really like the creaminess of the image, and because of that I'm not sure how ice will do. It'll add more visual information for the viewer, but could lose that overall creamy feel which is the strength of the image in my eyes.

Also the angle is very interesting not quite vertical, with a tiny bit at the bottom of the front of the glass showing. This makes it slightly softer approach than the harsh circle but since you're reshooting might as well try and change your angle of tiny bit so the circle is a bit harsher in its bottom line, this could go well with the jagged ice to be added.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Delmar "Was it just the one Woolworths or the whole chain"
    I like the colors cool and refreshing.
    You need to mumble more and have small outburst (these canned goods are not cooperating):tiptoewhen shooting in public then they will leave you alone.

All of the sudden I see a worker in the produce aisle running to get a manager....."Oh crap, don't kick me out of this store too!" I thought to myself. At the third grocery store I brought my 3 year old son and let him push around the tiny grocery cart, thinking this would create enough chaos that no one would notice me with camera! Then I gave up. I can see how mumbling might work! rolleyes1.gif
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    I don't know, I kinda like this as is, not sure if you need to add ice, although I would try it just to see. I really like the repetition of circles you have going on there. A nice simple composition from a great perspective, and the colors, as mentioned, very refreshing. Nice jobthumb.gif

Thank you - I was worried that the theme might not be that evident..ne_nau.gif
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    Very cool, I like the idea and how it came out so far. I like the colors, there is a definite mood here. Watch the shadows on the umbrella 'pole'. Great DOF.

Laundromat? A long row of dryers I presume? Neat idea.

Thanks Mike - I've been playing around with the light placement today and I think I've nixed those shadows!

The laundromat - if you only knew! I had an idea, one that I didn't think was that complicated. An old laundromat with those early 1980's type dryers, slow shutter speed to show the swirl of colored clothing, in the foreground a pile of quarters - titled "Time and Money". I'm just not skilled enough to pull if off, too many reflections in the dryer window - and the lady looking at me strange......
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Thanks Mark and Tatiana - yup, ice is a must! Just wouldn't be accurate without it.
    - Christopher
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks Mike - I've been playing around with the light placement today and I think I've nixed those shadows!

The laundromat - if you only knew! I had an idea, one that I didn't think was that complicated. An old laundromat with those early 1980's type dryers, slow shutter speed to show the swirl of colored clothing, in the foreground a pile of quarters - titled "Time and Money". I'm just not skilled enough to pull if off, too many reflections in the dryer window - and the lady looking at me strange......

If they aren't looking at you strangely, you're not trying hard enough. deal.gif

(Says the man who sits in a dark room and shines flashlights on eggs. Confused my four year old.)
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Thanks Linda - appreciate any compliment from you!

Kat - so happy so chimed it....I depend on your input!! What do you mean my light dimension? You'd really laugh if you saw my rickety light set-up. I told myself "YOU CAN NOT BUY ANY LIGHTING EQUIPMENT UNTIL TO TAKE A PHOTOGRAPHY LIGHTING COURSE!"

I'm glad you like the processing....that's the exact vintage look I was going for. Thanks again Kat.
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    If they aren't looking at you strangely, you're not trying hard enough. deal.gif

(Says the man who sits in a dark room and shines flashlights on eggs. Confused my four year old.)

You're always making me laugh Mark!rolleyes1.gif
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I like the concept a lot.

The picture makes me want some lemonade! Could you send some and along with it some sun? It's been raining for days, with more to come. :cry:cry

If you are going to reshoot, I would experiment with repositioning the paper umbrella. Have it point towards the lower left corner for example instead of parallel to the straw. Or at other angles As is, for me it gives the photo a static feel. Which may be fine, since in is a graphic.

Virginia

Thanks for commenting Gina - I really value your input. You are exactly right.....I messed around with the umbrella placement and it looks much better as you suggested! Parallel didn't look right. Thanks again Gina.
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Definitely square ice would be ideal.

Donna and Chris.....my gosh, you think "ice is ice", but all ice is not created equally! I just bought a bag from the grocery store sight unseen....a big crushed-up mess. I really wanted the circular ice with the circle holes in the center...and I'd be willing to drive anywhere within a ten-mile radius for it! But not I'm thinking that a regular old plastic tray might work. ne_nau.gif
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    I really like the creaminess of the image, and because of that I'm not sure how ice will do. It'll add more visual information for the viewer, but could lose that overall creamy feel which is the strength of the image in my eyes.

Also the angle is very interesting not quite vertical, with a tiny bit at the bottom of the front of the glass showing. This makes it slightly softer approach than the harsh circle but since you're reshooting might as well try and change your angle of tiny bit so the circle is a bit harsher in its bottom line, this could go well with the jagged ice to be added.

Thanks for your assessment....this is exactly the type of info that is helpful. I'd like to say that the angle was purposeful mwink.gif , but really it was a faulty set-up. So you think the angle should be exactly vertical? I'll try it both ways tonight to compare. You noticed something I didn't pay any attention to thumb.gif.
    - Christopher
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks for your assessment....this is exactly the type of info that is helpful. I'd like to say that the angle was purposeful mwink.gif , but really it was a faulty set-up. So you think the angle should be exactly vertical? I'll try it both ways tonight to compare. You noticed something I didn't pay any attention to thumb.gif.

I would try the full vertical but just slightly more towards it from the shot you posted would be nice as well so the bottom half would be the solid line and then you have some perspective into the glass keeping the more natural look. I find exact vertical perspectives to have a different feel but it could work as well, since its digitial no reason to try every angle thumb.gif
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thanks Linda - appreciate any compliment from you!

Kat - so happy so chimed it....I depend on your input!! What do you mean my light dimension? You'd really laugh if you saw my rickety light set-up. I told myself "YOU CAN NOT BUY ANY LIGHTING EQUIPMENT UNTIL TO TAKE A PHOTOGRAPHY LIGHTING COURSE!"

I'm glad you like the processing....that's the exact vintage look I was going for. Thanks again Kat.

Hey Whiterice... Sorry if my statement was confusing.. When I said light dimension, I meant that the ice might be really neat to try because it will allow the light to bounce around in the ice...thus, giving the photo some highlight dimensions... I think it would be awesome, plus, add some more character to the photo, however, Jon, made a solid point too, it may take away from the mild creamy look too, so I suggest when you shoot your new composition try both, just in case you don't like it.. I think it will turn out pretty though...
    Can't wait to see it.. A very nice work you have going here...thumb.gifrofl

Kat

P.S. No ... I would not laugh at your light set-up.. Mine is just as bad.. HA HA... seriously...
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I like it a lot, but the ice adding might make even that much better... especially if you get the right kind of ice. I'm thinking the larger cube type ice, might make some really cool squares!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    AirThom wrote:
    I like it a lot, but the ice adding might make even that much better... especially if you get the right kind of ice. I'm thinking the larger cube type ice, might make some really cool squares!

15524779-Ti.gif

And you can enjoy a nice cold drink when you're finished photographing it. mwink.gif