It's the PITs... (AMA@PPIR)

SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
edited May 31, 2005 in Sports

Comments

• Options
    maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    Good work,

A couple are a tad bit OE'd for my taste (nothing bad or much, just a bit "bright") but nothing that couldn't be fixed, and I was watching the race so I know it looked really bright too (and the thinner air doesn't help exposure either), but nice environmental shots, I think you captured the atmosphere nicely dude.

Thank you for sharing.

I was so bummed becuase I have wanted to snag a Ducati winning at some point and I just had other commitments this past weekend and couldn't go.

I am covering the rest of the season so I'm pretty happy about that and I'm looking forward to Road America next week.

Share more!!

Andrew :)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Yea, I'm still learning MF and shooting out from within a darker garage. All I had to check exposure was the histogram. I don't have the high $$$ pro shooters have for their glass... maybe some day. But, thanks for the feedback Andrew. Every little bit helps.

So, what glass do you normally carry to the track? And, what gets the most use?
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with these images at all. I like the atmosphere and I was hoping you'd share some of what you captured.

Did you shoot these in RAW?

You don't need pricey equipment to get good images, trust me. Just knowing what to do. For the longest time I just made do with my trusty old D60!

What do I take to the track?

2 x1DMK2's
    1 x 1D MK1
    300 f2.8
    500 f4
    24-70 f2.8
    70-200f2.8
    1 1.4TC

I'd say on the track the 300 (I love this lens), *maybe* the 500 depending on reach I need.

In the pits, the 70-200 as I'm a fan of good bokeh'd backgrounds.

Let's see some more!!

I'd say my

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 26, 2005
    hey Andrew,

That's a lot of stuff to be carrying around. Are you sure you don't need
    a weekend sherpa?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Hey Ian...

I'm sure he'd pay you to "be there"... mwink.gifthumb.gif
    Hey Ian/Seymore....

My wife has first refusal (she's a gearhead and a motorsports writer too....)

She's coming with me on two of the gigs towards the end of the season.

Btw, I just take that to the track, you leave everything in the media centre and depending on how you plan on shooting only take what you need...

Andrew

• Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    So, are they "secure" in the media center? They give you a locker... or do you just know the people there? Even being insured, I'd be concerned with theft...
    Well, I guess it's a matter of trust.

Most media centre's have their own security so I really do not worry overly and they're pretty good at checking creds.

Don't forget your also hauling into that centre a laptop, cables, card readers and such, plus there are a lot of people in there who leave their gear too.

I was initially worried, but you simply cannot carry this stuff around all day without some serious detrimental effects to your health.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Thanks for the assurance. I also guess this may vary pending the track... ie: a really low end track.

Thanks again for all your feedback Andrew! thumb.gif
    I don't think "low end" applies...

You'll find the same peeps at the races (writers, journo, photogs) so the track security is usually pretty good.

Just make sure you have good insurance, yes it would be a nuiscance, but you'll get your gear back or renewed.

Andrew

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Thanks for the assurance. I also guess this may vary pending the track... ie: a really low end track.

Nah. I remember when I was racing shifter karts myself. I'd have my belongings in the car. Windows down. Keys, wallet, money, etc. in unsecured locations. Tool boxes left open. Etc. No way I wanted to dealing with locking and unlocking stuff each time I went out on the track. I never worried about it. Everyone else did the same thing. Heck, even my parts supplier did the same with his trailer. (He also raced, so was at times on the track, rather than manning his trailer. People would grab a spare part and write down who they were and what they took, then settle up at the end of the day.)

Granted, there was no public access at these events. If there was a public presence I'd be a bit worried and more careful.

Racers just seem trustworthy. For whatever reason. I'm sure the same applies to the press at such events.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu