Options

Best Pub lens for canon?

TbiaforeTbiafore Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited June 29, 2009 in Cameras
Doing a trip in Scotland and England and was thinking of buying a new lens. Wanted to get some of your thoughts on what you think would be the best lens to take shots in a pub?

We are going to be spending a lot of time indoors and in pubs so I wanted to make sure that area is covered.

I have a 5d Mark ii

Thanks!

--Thor
www.NerdGodPhotography.com <-- Come check it out!

Comments

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Budget high? 50mm f1.2
    Budget Low? 85mm f1.8

Don't get drunk and lose your camera.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    Personally I'd mostly shoot wider than 50mm in a pub. I'd choose either a 28 or a 35. If you don't want to shell out for lthe 35/1.4L, I'd suggest looking either the 28/1.8 or the 35/2.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    I have a 16-35L 2.8 now and it seems to do well, but never had a lens that went down to 1.2 or 1.4 so not sure how much of a boost in low light situations I will get. Maybe its not worth investing another $1,500-$1,800 for another lens...

--Thor
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    f/2 will halve the shutter speed that you get at f/2.8. f/1.4 will halve the shutter speed again (over f/2). You will get shallower depth of field as you open the aperture.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    I don't know about the best lens for a pub, but here is the best pub lens shade:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm297/brotulix/Image173.jpg?t=1246051345
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I would suggest the 50mm f/1.4. used it in a bar not long ago and did a great job catching candids of people at tables, the stage show and even a tight group shot of 4 lovely young ladies.
    Of course this was also on a 50D. I also used flash but at a -2 FEC. That kept the ambient light mood still in the shot as well.
    For examples...

http://tag-photos.smugmug.com/gallery/8363473_m9r5G#550466109_a2JMK
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Toshido actually seeing the lens in action really helped. I think its performance in low light is exactly what I would need, however the only downfall I can see from the images you have posted is that being a 50mm focal length, it may not be wide enough to get a good section of a pub which is partially what I would be using it for.

Thanks, it helped me a lot!

--Thor
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I don't know about the best lens for a pub, but here is the best pub lens shade:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm297/brotulix/Image173.jpg?t=1246051345

Looks like it's covered by a "Mack" warranty, toodeal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Tbiafore wrote:
    Toshido actually seeing the lens in action really helped. I think its performance in low light is exactly what I would need, however the only downfall I can see from the images you have posted is that being a 50mm focal length, it may not be wide enough to get a good section of a pub which is partially what I would be using it for.

Thanks, it helped me a lot!

--Thor

Take your zoom into a bar and set it at 24 and 28 and 35 and see which of these lengths meets your needs for what you have in mind. Then look at your options at those focal lengths that please you.

If you use a flash to supplement the shots, then your 16 - 35 should do fine.
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Take your zoom into a bar and set it at 24 and 28 and 35 and see which of these lengths meets your needs for what you have in mind. Then look at your options at those focal lengths that please you.

If you use a flash to supplement the shots, then your 16 - 35 should do fine.
    Are you planning to use a flash? If so, a 17-40 would give you a wide angle for close ups. Think wide angle.

Check out this link. The setting was the grand opening of a biker bar.

All pics were shot with a 40D and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    I also have a 17-40 F/4L. I choose the 1.4 first because I was going to try it without flash. i wa still scared of high ISOs though.
    Secondly I wanted to keep as much of the background in as possible. I was worried that the light would fall off too quickly for the F/4, and also I would need too much flash to get a decent picture.

The flash was all over the place for those shots, Bounce and direct, no modifiers.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Personally, I'd use the kit lens. If it got full of beer, you can turf it without too much remorse mwink.gif

I agree with those saying you need a widish lens. My experience is that my Sigma 24-135 is wonderful for such occasions.
  • Options
    Jekyll &amp; HydeJekyll &amp; Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Tbiafore wrote:
    Wanted to get some of your thoughts on what you think would be the best lens to take shots in a pub?
    J: If I were to select Canon's (best) lens for myself for that purpose, it would be the 35mm f1.4L.

H: I prefer ambient light shooting, and that would be the most useful focal length (for me).

Have fun BTW!
    J&H
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    J: If I were to select Canon's (best) lens for myself for that purpose, it would be the 35mm f1.4L.

+1thumb.gif

Second, would be the 50 f/1.4
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Thanks for your input, after everyones discussion I figured I would purchase two lenses to cover a couple indoor needs.

I got the 35mm 1.4L and the 85mm 1.2L

Thanks for everyones feedback!

--Thor
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Anyone know a good lens shooting puberty? Seems like none of my lenses are accepted by anyone undergoing puberty .. ne_nau.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    The OP could probably still shoot at f/11. He's got a 5d MKII after all. :D

Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fish is a fun lens.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Tbiafore wrote:
    Thanks for your input, after everyones discussion I figured I would purchase two lenses to cover a couple indoor needs.

Thanks for everyones feedback!

--Thor

Those are two of Canon's best lenses! You should enjoy them immensely. Have a great trip and share pictures of these pubs when you return.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Tbiafore wrote:

Doesn't get any better.
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    I don't think I could get away with, "Honey, I'm going out to spend $4 K on lenses before we leave for England."

Just a bit jealous... :D

Congrats - the 35 is on my list... Looking forward to seeing your shots.
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L