Options

Lens advice - Canon medium telephoto zooms

PhenomenologicalPhenomenological Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited June 28, 2009 in Cameras
To get this out the way - Yes, I'd adore one of the canon 70-200mm lenses, but they're not a suitable price for the amount of use the lens will get. The extra money can be better spent being put toward a third lens (Macro), I feel.

So, I find myself with a dilemma...Which lens to get? If anyone has any suggestions other than the ones I've narrowed it down to, feel free to suggest them! I'm looking for a range of about 50/70mm at the low end to maybe 200/300 at the top end of the zoom. I'd love a wide aperture but again, I don't think it's worth it for the amount of use I'd give the lens. Waste not, as it were...So f/4-5.6ish is preferable.

Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD - Budget. Very budget. But seems to get good reviews...I'm not keen though due to the lack of OS which would probably make it pretty unusable without a tripod at the long end.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - It has IS, and is the mid range option. Made by canon obviously which I do see as a plus...Covers a good range, but not sure about how it will hold up at the long end of the zoom.

Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM - Stabilised 4 stops and with a hypersonic motor, but price is getting higher than I'd like really, though I'd pay for quality - But I'm having trouble finding reviews. Or it for sale. And that's suspicious in a way. I know it's quite new but it ahs been a while...

Anyone got/used any of them? Have any other suggestions? I do my homework very thoroughly before I buy any equipment to make sure it's exactly what I want...but sometimes I end up overanalysing, and need to step back. Plus, outside/user opinions are always very helpful.

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I see in your profile that the 105 macro and the 70-200 f/4L are "dream lenses" for you.

Have you considered picking up the macro first which becomes an "168 equivalent" FL for your telephoto needs as well as advancing your passion for macro photography?

I started with the 70-200 f/4L as my first lens purchase years ago, figuring that it was "only" $200 more to try a professional lens over a consumer one. I was astounded by the level of detail and caliber or pictures that it rendered and thought the $200 more was a bargain!
  • Options
    PhenomenologicalPhenomenological Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    I'm strongly considering getting the macro first, I'd just like to have some lens choices in mind before I decide really...I'm also more inclined towards the L lens for obvious reasons, but it's a large outlay of money. But will save money in the long run...This hobby is complicated and expensive!