Options

So you want to sell your photos online?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited May 31, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Get this: If you deal with "royalty free" stock agencies like this one, you are really in the dark about how your images are being used or, even by whom?

I was just curious since someone I know passed me a link to Shutterstock.com and, asked them a question related to how I would know who is using my images and where. Not to say this is limited to Shutterstock's business format... there are many others out there doing something similar. However, do you really want to provide your images in an unlimited fashion to people you don't even know who are not in any way obligated to tell you when, where or how they are going to be using your images? Not me, thank you.

What they do is offer image buyers a way to pay ONE monthly fee for unlimited image downloads, do not need to inform the photographer who they are, where or why they are using the photographers' images. photographer gets 20 CENTS per download.

Here's the reply I got from Shutterstock:
Unfortunately there is no way for us to track the buyer's photo
usage....

Also, because all of our photos are subject to one licensing agreement,
the buyer is not obligated to show credit copyright to the specific
photographer -- although the copyright does remain yours!

Thanks!

There is no way to know how a buyer is using images or if they are doing
so dishonestly except on the chance that they are discovered. At that
point they would be liable legally and in copyright and contractual
infringement since in essence, when a subscriber signs up to our services
they argree to our terms.

This is just the nature of Royalty-Free Stock...

Andrea
Shutterstock Support
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    This is just the nature of Royalty-Free Stock...

This is why I have no idea why some people (some of whom are on dgrin) submit images to services such as this. Lose control of your images, have no idea who your customers are, and all for pennies?

No thanks.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Some would disagree, ofcourse
    Hey, I probably should have posted this in the "mind your own business" forum...... sorry guys!

ANyway: to each their own, as they say.
    Some people like the idea of having their images downloaded hundreds (if it's popular enough) and are happy to get whatever they can from that business atmosphere..... I would prefer to sell less and get more and, in the process gain valuable customers who may buy more in the future and, maybe even recommend me to someone else in the business? Not to mention the other possibilities.

Later,
    Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    As someone new to photography I have found very valuable information on DGrin. I just bought a 20D and had someone ask to use my photos in a low circulation magazine. I thought about asking for money for them, but honestly I didn't know what I should do. My point is that I bet at least some of the people submitting to these sites just don't know, or realize what they are doing because of lack of experience and industry knowledge. That is why I like DGrin soo much because I have learned a lot and hope to learn much much more.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto