Options

The KING of POP dies at 50

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited June 29, 2009 in Street and Documentary
June 25, 2009 - 2:26 PM - Pacific time, the world learned of the sudden, tragic passing of pop music icon Michael Jackson.

It didn't take long for the streets of Los Angeles to fill with fans wanting to be among compatriots sharing the grief they felt.

The area surrounding the UCLA Medical Center in Westwood Village was so jammed with spectators, ambulances and patients seeking access were redirected to other nearby medical facilities.

In Hollywood, fans flocked to the "Walk of Fame" to spread flowers over Michael's star. Many made the mistake of landing at the star of the former KABC Radio host who went by the same name.

MJ's star, situated directly in front of Mann's Chinese Theater (formerly Grauman's) was covered by a red carpet last night as the premiere of "Bruno" was scheduled and Hollywood Boulevard was closed to traffic:

574832416_u7xi7-L-1.jpg

The broadcast, cable and even blogosphere media started to show up:

574832310_ws5uR-L-1.jpg

and even the tasteless, opportunists turned out in force:

574832250_Q4dVq-L-1.jpg

This morning, after the remnants of the movie premiere had been whisked away, crowds (and I mean CROWDS), of people descended upon Mann's to see Michael's star.

The media was out in force for live feeds. Satellite trucks lined the street jamming traffic:

574832517_b9DQ9-L-1.jpg

this is what the mob looked like. I couldn't get near MJ's star.

574832619_ph8tD-L-1.jpg

there were many hand painted signs:

574832693_fCAW5-L-2.jpg

and lots of tears:

574832788_uG3ns-L-1.jpg

and farewell sentiment:

574832878_k2rsc-L-1.jpg

meanwhile, two blocks away...

574850922_m7tkR-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Great PJ piece, Angelino! Love the final touch... clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Kudos, Angelo, for what you shot, and some of how you shot it. mwink.gif

First, I'm really impressed with the way you've put a story together here. Even if I hadn't read your text, I'd know the story - which is the real test of a photo essay.

As to the images, some are very direct, and tell us exactly what you want us to know, but some are a bit vague. For example, the shot of the guy selling the t-shirts, and the other guy taking a cell phone photo, is terrific. But the first, second, and fourth images, if seen outside the story, could be of pretty much anything in LA, given how frequently camera crews and crowds gather - they really need something in them that says MJ.

But after that, it all comes together, as you have images that all specifically tell us what's going on.

Very nice. I hope you're going to be shooting more of this over the next couple days and posting it here.

B. D.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Hey BD thanks for the comments and encouragement.

I absolutely agree a few of the images do not stand on their own. Lacking better shots I cheated a bit to pull the story together with words. I would've never attempted an image only photo essay without better ones.

I hope to get back over Sunday morning for more shots. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Wow A, good job! The "mob" scene is classic and the contrast to FF's star is a definative statement as to the level of contributions each made to their respective genre. The contrast between the mob shot and the FF single spray is an insightful and interesting twist to the story.

Personally, I feel that as an artist MJ was a driving force of change ... similar to the Beatles before him ... Elvis before the Beatles, et cetera. Sadly enough, MJ's personal life doesn't seem to be of similar stature as his music.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Gary

thanks for looking and chiming in. I hoped you would since I so admire your bw - pj work.

having you AND bd offer thumbs up is an honor.
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Even without words, it's a powerful story...Kudos thumb.gif . Very reminiscent of the events that occurred the day Freddie Mercury (Queen) and Eric Carr (drummer KISS) died.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited June 28, 2009
    Nice work, Angelo. One thing that struck me is that as a set, the main thing that comes across is media frenzy rather than grief. Were you making a sly commentary? My favorite is #7 as it captures both themes well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    These two work especially well:

574832250_Q4dVq-S-1.jpg

574832878_k2rsc-S-1.jpg

In his class, B.D. stressed separating the story told by the pictures from the one told by the text. Each needs to stand on its own. In fact, he made us select and order the images first, then write the text without reference to the images, and only then integrate them. So the story isn't some sort of extended captioning or glue, but rather has is an independent narrative. This way you can really tell two different stories, each using the medium which is strongest for each particular point.

If you rewrite your text to be less glued to the particular images, I think you'll find than you can choose your strongest images more freely instead of needing to pick ones that illustrate particular sentences.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Very powerful series. Nicely done.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Thank you so much for sharing these, Angelo.

Not only are you capturing current events, you are helping us all think about how we tell stories with our photographs.

I love the way you have FF's bouquet in color at the end. No words needed.

That last picture gets me thinking about fame, popular culture and what our society values. Very thought provoking series on many levels.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    bowdown.gifbow Love.

I think you capture the moment so well!
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    hey, thanks to you all. I appreciate all the feedback.

Richard - very astute observation. I was originally going in that direction. mwink.gif

Rutt - I agree and I went through all those same steps but was limited by my images. Next time I'll work towards better results. thumb.gif