Options

Wind turbines at sunset

CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited July 7, 2009 in Landscapes
With nothing better to do, and so that everyone--including 'Maestro'--knows that just because I do core analysis for the oil and gas industry, doesn't mean I can't be a renewable energy enthusiast...

..I took a 50-mile drive east of Midland to Big Spring (which had that terrible refinery explosion back in February), which gets pretty well into Wind Turbine country. Right now, the standard wind turbine appears to be General Electric 1.5 megawatt units, spun by blades about 100 feet long--which probably explains why the towers are about 300 feet high. Anyway, the voltage generated is 600 volts, which then goes to a substation to be transformed to 17kv, 57kv, or whatever.

After all the shots I took, I only found ONE I wanted to do anything with.

Nikon D200 with Tamron 28-80 at 32mm...ISO 100...1/60 sec...f 4.0...and some post-processing (I keep forgetting to clean off those "dust bunnies").

Hope it was worth the effort to share this!

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    I do love me some wind turbines. I think the cleanness of their lines goes well with a nice soft background sunset, like you have here. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    You're welcome!

And let's hope that there aren't any late frosts to kill off next spring's cherry blossoms. You WILL shoot some cherry trees in bloom next year, won't you?cheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif
    schmoo wrote:
    I do love me some wind turbines. I think the cleanness of their lines goes well with a nice soft background sunset, like you have here. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Very nice choice--it's a keeper. I like how the sun is barely seen at the edge of the turbine's base. Nice, soft colors.

Now, for your next assignment . . . can you get a good photo of T. Boone himself? :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Well, my man Pickens seems to be spread out pretty thin: oil in one hand, wind in the other!

redleash wrote:
    Very nice choice--it's a keeper. I like how the sun is barely seen at the edge of the turbine's base. Nice, soft colors.

Now, for your next assignment . . . can you get a good photo of T. Boone himself? :D
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    "Well, my man Pickens seems to be spread out pretty thin: oil in one hand, wind in the other!"

That would make a great shot! rolleyes1.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Just in case anyone's interested, I have a job interview Tuesday, June 30 at 11am for a Wind Tower Technician position at the new Dry Lake Wind Project, located 18 miles northwest of Snowflake, Arizona, up on the Mogollon Plateau (and at around 6,000 feet above sea level). As I had been trying to get into wind energy while in Texas (to no avail), I'm pretty jazzed about this!

This is a new wind energy project (phase 1, btw) for Arizona (which won't likely be a premier wind energy provider in the nation due to the wind patterns in this state), which will provide 63 MW of power (with 30 Suzlon wind turbines 0f 2.1 MW each) that the Salt River Project will purchase and use to supply some 15,000 homes in the southeast Phoenix metropolitan area. Using wind to generate electricity at the above capacity will prevent some 185 million pounds of CO2 per year from being formed (about what 15,000 average cars produce in a year) if combustion processes were otherwise used.

Your prayers are coveted!

Steve-o

P.S., if I get this job, I'll be sure to post shots of me standing on the nacelle of one of the towers, which stand over 260 feet tall!

P.P.S., the BEST plase for wind energy: The Aleutian Island chain in Alaska. Have FUN with that!!!
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Best of luck... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Yes, good luck with the interview. Beautiful image, BTW! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Wow good luck to you! That sounds like a great opportunity, as well as a great view :D
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow good luck to you! That sounds like a great opportunity, as well as a great view :D

The interview went very WELL. I should start work next week, as that's when the 30 wind turbines are to be commissionedwings.gif

I'll get some shots of me on top of one of the almost 300-foot-tall towers when I get a chance!
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    Corehead wrote:
    The interview went very WELL. I should start work next week, as that's when the 30 wind turbines are to be commissionedwings.gif

I'll get some shots of me on top of one of the almost 300-foot-tall towers when I get a chance!

Woot! Congratulations! I don't think I'm the only one here looking forward to that :smo
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Alas, I'll have to wait for "the word" until "late next week", due to the holiday season. :bash But that's OK. I need the extra time to get better built up. Climbs on 265-foot ladders "up to 10 times a day" isn't for "spuds" (couch potatoes). So I do the 937-foot climb up Lookout Mountain (a mile from my house and yes I walk there and back thank you very much) TWICE a day, and I do 300 reps on a "chin-up" weight machine five times daily. That's the best I can do to approximate the ladder climbs.

And I think I'm doing darned good for being fifty!

You have a good "Fourth" over there on the East Coast. I bet you have some PRIMO fireworks displays there!

Steve-o
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Keep us posted, Steve-o. It sounds like an exciting job--and yes, you're doing darn well for "50." I only have 9 months to go and no way can I climb like you can . . .

Good luck!
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com