Options

I have $$ to burn, what to buy??

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Cameras
Don't ask how it happened, but I have come into a sudden small windfall, that my hubby does not know about. I will do good things and pay bills and such, put a big chunk away for a rainy day,.. but I can afford to spend some on photography. 5 - 10,000. !! Maybe a bit more.

The ONLY hitch is, that it must be stuff that hubby will not notice. He doesn't know what kind of camera I have or even how many lenses. So I am thinking even a camera, they all look big and black to him. Lenses , great choice. Maybe a new monitor, I might be able to pull that off. But, sigh, no studio lights, backdrops, big stuff that will raise his eyebrows, lol.

I am a newbie, I still am learning how to control my camera, I have BIG ambitions, raw talent, lot's of TIME!I want to take awesome portraits and someday make $$ with shooting children, and families mostly.
I LOVE to photograph children. I want a studio with cool props oneday,:deadhorse dream on. :rolleyes I am 56 years old.

I currently own Nikon d 300, a tripod, a sb 800 nikon flash, Nikon kit lens 18 - 70, Nikon 85 1.4 ( love that one), Nikon 18 - 200 vibration reduction, Sigma 10 - 20 I think . I already own stuff beyond my skill level, but I read and study everyday, I am old but making progress! :ivar

I have read reviews, found things that i had to have and then got them on impulse, but NOW I need to know how to best invest to help me meet my goals to one day be really good, and i KNOW it is NOT about the equipment, BUT if I have $$ that may help, why not use it. I have wonderful software, Photoshop cs4 and a decent computer just for my photos.Sony monitor, just cheap one.

Thanks for any input, I have learned more here than I can express.!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    wadesworldwadesworld Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:

I currently own Nikon d 300, a tripod, a sb 800 nikon flash, Nikon kit lens 18 - 70, Nikon 85 1.4 ( love that one), Nikon 18 - 200 vibration reduction, Sigma 10 - 20 I think . I already own stuff beyond my skill level, but I read and study everyday, I am old but making progress! :ivar
    !

You've got pretty nice kit already for what you're doing, so I don't know that you need to add a lot.

Maybe a 50 mm 1.4 and another SB900 flash? Maybe some reflectors that can be broken down when not in use, like the SunBounce:

http://www.sunbounce.com/cms/index.php?id=1324&L=1

Eventually you're gonna need light stands, but those are somewhat hard to hide.
    Wade Williams
    Nikon D300, 18-135/3.5-5.6, 70-300/4.5-5.6, SB800
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Perhaps a 2nd system to help out?

I think a D700 is a must and a few lenses for nikon full frame (even though its only 12MP the D700 really is something special) plus either a Canon 5D mkII or a Sony A700 plus a few lenses for studio work (great primes would be best) and it would be a cheaper option then just going D3X plus you don't have the huge Dx body that your husband might notice.
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I would say, keep your money under the mattress for now, then buy kit as the need arrises. No point in buying stuff that you don't really need.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited June 30, 2009
    With 10 bills, if you are happy with the Nikon system you have:

Nikon D700. It's full-frame without "looking" full frame. It looks very similar to the D300 you already have and is somewhat complimentary to the D300 in use.
    $2700 after rebate or $3700 in a kit with the Nikkor 24-120mm, f3.5-5.6G ED IF VR.

Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED AF-S. One of the finest wide angle lenses ever made, and it's a zoom to boot. Useful to both the D300 and the D700.
    $1750

Nikkor 17-55mm, f2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX. For the D300, this is the standard zoom lens Nikon wants you to have. It is a DX lens so not so useful on the D700, but "very" nice on the D300.
    $1250

Nikkor 24-70mm, f2.8G ED AF-S. This is the standard lens for the D700. Also useful on the D300.
    $1800

Nikkor 135mm, f2.0D AF DC. This is a specialized lens, mostly for portraiture, that provides "Defocus Control" (that's what the "DC" stands for) and it narrows the DOF around the subject. Not too long to attract attention over what you already have. Just a gorgeous luxury lens.
    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/225-nikkor-af-135mm-f2-d-dc-review--test-report
    $1400

Depending on what tripod you have this might be a good time for an upgrade to both tripod and head.

I would also add a second flash, maybe the Nikon SB-900 Speedlight. This would go well with your SB-800 and add more interesting light as needed. Both the speedlights can be controlled via the camera (either the D300 or the D700) using the camera in "Commander" mode.

Now buy a second bag/case to hold the second system.

I have to warn you that, as a guy myself, holding "secret" funds can be a major blow to the marriage if discovered. Be careful to weigh the possibility of a backlash of hurt feelings and possible insecurity on the part of your spouse.

If he should find out that you did this, make sure he understands that you did this to reinforce your own feelings of worth, but without any wish to hurt him. This purchase enhances you as a person, helps you towards achieving a personal goal and provides you with an outlet that can make you a happier spouse and mate.

A better way is full disclosure and sharing, but it sounds like you have reasons not to want that route.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    wadesworld wrote:
    You've got pretty nice kit already for what you're doing, so I don't know that you need to add a lot.

Maybe a 50 mm 1.4 and another SB900 flash? Maybe some reflectors that can be broken down when not in use, like the SunBounce:

http://www.sunbounce.com/cms/index.php?id=1324&L=1

Eventually you're gonna need light stands, but those are somewhat hard to hide.

I'd agree with this - you already have a really nice range of stuff, so satisfy the urge to spend some of it now for fun on these smaller items, but keep most of it to have on tap when you realise there's something you really DO need. If you're serious about doing studio shots, perhaps invest in a 3-light Alien Bees rig once the time comes, which you can make an open rather than covert purchase? (Btw, I agree with Ziggy, and I don't think it's a male/female thing - if my husband came into 10k (regardless of whether legacy, lottery or Big Gig) and didn't tell me about it I think I would STRANGLE him!! Don't mean to moralize or preach and you know your hubby and we don't but ....)

I will also add - speaking from pretty dire personal experience this year - in the current climate you never know when that stash under the mattress might come in handy for Real Life. If you keep it somewhere ticking over until you actaully *need* it for something photographic, you're kind of in a win-win situation since it's there for unexpected emergencies too. I personally love Orange ING online accounts for my "slush fund" (read: "camera stash" :D) - it's not mixed up with any of our household money, I can't get at it without REALLY thinking about what I'm doing, but it's quick enough when I do decide to plonk down the money. And it gets a little more interest than most street banks, which is a small but nice extra.

In any case, congrats on having some play money - what a nice summer luxury!!
  • Options
    JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    It sounds to me you have all the equipment you really NEED at the moment.

Why don't you spend it on your education. Sign up for one of the Dgrin shootouts/workshops or sign up for a local photo class? (http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2577816 )Maybe after you learn more you might NEED something and you'll have the cash for it.

Or take your husband on a trip and use it as an opportunity to hone your skills. You probably wouldn't feel as guilty if you spent some of the money on him.

Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    how about learning tools....Scott Kelby DVD or Photoshop classes.....as you said spend a little on a decent dedicated computer add CS4 + LR2 .......Take Classes.........
    As for upgrading.....look at the D700.....I just got my D300 (new to me but gently broke-in)....if I had enuff $ to have purchased 2 - D700 I would have gone that way as I am still struggling at times with the crop sensors........
    another flash or 2 would be very useful....small and concealable......upgrade to SB900 (3) and sell the SB800 or keep for a 4th and now you'd have nearly a studio:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I second Jay's and Art's suggestion on classes and training material. Acquire more knowledge then buy the equipment that you'll need.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Lot's of GREAT advice here, thanks! I will follow a little bit of everything! bowdown.gif
    I've been married 36 years, the bulk of the $$ will pay off bills and benefit my hubby in many ways, down the road when the time is right he'll know. I tend to the finances, I don't let him worry, but I do share the good stuff, so it is a win win for him.
    I will check out the d 700, a second camera would be very useful, yet practical, a second flash would be awesome and easy to do, I've been reading The Hot Shoe Diaries. And maybe a few more books, been thinking about The Moment It Clicks, maybe more memory, hard drive etc for my computer, and eventually hardware to support a backdrop, as I have been using 2 cardboard room dividers with some black velvet cloth over it that tends to fall over and not be large enough!
    And then keep a small fund for future items. The ING is a great spot to keep money. And paying the bills off will be sure that our monthly budget has more breathing room!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I agree that saving for a rainy day is a very good thing. And I'd never hide anything from my husband. Truth and honesty are the basis for my marriage. Difference of opinions regarding money is the number one cause for a divorce.

If I had 10,000 to spend on gear I would buy:

A set of Profoto Monolights - three of them are $4500. with modifiers in a kit with a 4x6 softbox;

I'd go to A Santa Fe Workshop on studio lighting or portraiture. They can help you pick the right one. The Class is $1250 roughly and the week's hotel and food would bring it up to about $2000. plus airfare to Santa Fe.

I'd save the rest until I'd learned enough to do more.

I opened a studio two years ago. I have been shooting since I am 15. And I am 53 - you're only as old as you feel.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    And I'd never hide anything from my husband. Truth and honesty are the basis for my marriage. Difference of opinions regarding money is the number one cause for a divorce.

This was my first thought when reading the thread.

...and like you, there is a list of workshops Id like to attend.

-Tri-State Photography
    -Zach Arias' "One-Light"
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    And I'd never hide anything from my husband. Truth and honesty are the basis for my marriage.

A wise lady you are. thumb.gif

Thirty-nine years with MDW and not one lie or hidden agenda. I drive her crazy in other ways!:D
  • Options
    WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    My girlfriend...
    Then I am very fortunate to have a great Girlfriend where I do not have to hide my money from her! I had something similar happen and I told her about the money and she was ever so cool about me buying lost of toys. :)

VayCayMom wrote:
    Don't ask how it happened, but I have come into a sudden small windfall, that my hubby does not know about. I will do good things and pay bills and such, put a big chunk away for a rainy day,.. but I can afford to spend some on photography. 5 - 10,000. !! Maybe a bit more.

The ONLY hitch is, that it must be stuff that hubby will not notice. He doesn't know what kind of camera I have or even how many lenses. So I am thinking even a camera, they all look big and black to him. Lenses , great choice. Maybe a new monitor, I might be able to pull that off. But, sigh, no studio lights, backdrops, big stuff that will raise his eyebrows, lol.

I am a newbie, I still am learning how to control my camera, I have BIG ambitions, raw talent, lot's of TIME!I want to take awesome portraits and someday make $$ with shooting children, and families mostly.
    I LOVE to photograph children. I want a studio with cool props oneday,:deadhorse dream on. rolleyes1.gif I am 56 years old.

I have read reviews, found things that i had to have and then got them on impulse, but NOW I need to know how to best invest to help me meet my goals to one day be really good, and i KNOW it is NOT about the equipment, BUT if I have $$ that may help, why not use it. I have wonderful software, Photoshop cs4 and a decent computer just for my photos.Sony monitor, just cheap one.

Thanks for any input, I have learned more here than I can express.!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Why I like Ziggy!
    Nothing more to add, Ziggy you said it best. Why hide the $??
    ziggy53 wrote:
    With 10 bills, if you are happy with the Nikon system you have:

I have to warn you that, as a guy myself, holding "secret" funds can be a major blow to the marriage if discovered. Be careful to weigh the possibility of a backlash of hurt feelings and possible insecurity on the part of your spouse.

If he should find out that you did this, make sure he understands that you did this to reinforce your own feelings of worth, but without any wish to hurt him. This purchase enhances you as a person, helps you towards achieving a personal goal and provides you with an outlet that can make you a happier spouse and mate.

A better way is full disclosure and sharing, but it sounds like you have reasons not to want that route.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited June 30, 2009
    I did not add my comment as a judgement.

If someone understands their own situation and needs to do this I can understand. I know of more than one household where the husband wants the wife to control the funds because they, the husband, are compulsive in their purchases and they realize what is best for them as a couple. The husbands still grumble about it but it's important and they understand it is important. I have also seen the opposite situation.

I'm not saying this is the situation but just an example and reason not to judge. VayCayMom owes us no explanation.

Let's get back to supporting VayCayMom in her relentless pursuit of photography (to which I am hopelessly obsessed). thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Let's get back to supporting VayCayMom in her relentless pursuit of photography (to which I am hopelessly obsessed). thumb.gif

Fine.

She is the one who opened that door, though.

It's only natural that those of us with successful marriages based on trust express such.

No judgement here.
  • Options
    sean000sean000 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Use some of it to buy your hubby a hobby.
    I find that the best way to spend a lot of money on a hobby, without upsetting your spouse, is to get your spouse hooked on an equally expensive hobby... as long as your dueling expensive hobbies leave something for the bills.

I suggest using some of the money to set up your hubby with the hobby of his dreams, and then keep the rest in a photography savings account for you to use as you need/want more equipment. It sounds like you have something like this in mind, but spending a lot and hoping he won't notice might backfire if he decides to google a few model numbers and wonders where you got the cash to buy a D700.

Another option is to earn some money with your photography, and then you can justify new purchases as an investment ;-)

Fortunately I invested a lot of money in my hobby back when I was single, earning a higher income than I do today, and living in a modest apartment. Now that I'm married and living in a house we can barely afford, I'm going to have to be happy with my current setup for a long time to come. Any new gear will have to be paid for by selling old gear and/or earning some money with my gear. My wife and I have invested a bit in her hobby (jewelry making), which she plans to sell online. This worked out for me as well, because I purchased some lighting equipment (nothing big) specifically for photographing her work so she can post some professional looking images on her website :D

Sean
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I did not add my comment as a judgement.

If someone understands their own situation and needs to do this I can understand. I know of more than one household where the husband wants the wife to control the funds because they, the husband, are compulsive in their purchases and they realize what is best for them as a couple. The husbands still grumble about it but it's important and they understand it is important. I have also seen the opposite situation.

I'm not saying this is the situation but just an example and reason not to judge. VayCayMom owes us no explanation.

Thank you Ziggy. I was rather surprised this thread strayed off topic.Thanks for bringing it back.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Fine.

She is the one who opened that door, though.

It's only natural that those of us with successful marriages based on trust express such.

No judgement here.

I have a successful 36 yr marriage based on forgiving what most wives would never forgive.
    It works for us, :ivar , money is not a deal breaker, but timing is everything !! He will be told, but not at this moment.
    Honestly, this was the best way for me to describe what my limits were currently. Maybe I should have not been so truthful in my post.
    I do appreciate the concern though.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Maybe I should have not been so truthful in my post.

:D Personally I saw nothing wrong with your truthfullness. It just opened the conversation up to something not about cameras...again, I see no problem with that either.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    No judgment
    Sometimes when we communicate via threads, with people we don't know, and who don't know us, we are missing information - on both sides of the discussion.

No judgment was intended at all. I am in a 2nd marriage that we have made a pledge to always bare all. We both came from marriages with lots of secrets on the parts of our former spouses. You wouldn't know that - we all have histories that contribute to the present.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    :D Personally I saw nothing wrong with your truthfullness. It just opened the conversation up to something not about cameras...again, I see no problem with that either.

I have to agree with Ric. I also had no issues with your truthfulness. :)
    But by the same token It should be ok for me to be proud of the relationship with my lady and be allowed to share that pride.
    iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    Ok, all is well. I am proud of my marriage too !!

Thanks for all the great advice, I am having fun poring over magazine reviews, and I found some stands for backdrops that are only $100.00, I am getting rid of the cardboard room dividers for sure, hubby approved purchase!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Ok, all is well. I am proud of my marriage too !!

Thanks for all the great advice, I am having fun poring over magazine reviews, and I found some stands for backdrops that are only $100.00, I am getting rid of the cardboard room dividers for sure, hubby approved purchase!

thumb.gif

I have to say reading back over this thread that the books and classes suggestion sounds awesome - wish I had money to burn on some location-vacation-classes!!!!
  • Options
    kensingtonkensington Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Wish I was the recipient of a 'small windfall'

I second the D700 suggestion as well as glass upgrades. With that kind of money if you are thinking portraits a tripod/ballhead upgrade would be in order?

Prior lens suggestions like the 14-24, 17-50 and 24-70 sound like great suggestions. So does the specialized 135mm lens for portraits which is what you are interested in? Another less expensive option to that would be the 105mm 2.8 which is supposed to be great for portraits as well?

While your pc may be nice upgrading a 'decent' pc to a better one could make a world of difference, you want to make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM and 4 does not hurt. Maybe monitor calibrator? The ColorMunki is supposed to be cool.

A second flash is very cool but could also be very obvious.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    d 700 for sure! I knew nothing about it until it was suggested here. After reading about it, I am sold, a great idea for me. New glass! I want the 135mm dc but it seems to be backordered everywhere. The 105 is my next choice. If I have the 85 1/4 should I consider the 50 as well or is it overkill. I really do not know much about lenses. That is the next item I will research a bit more.
    Then some upgrades to my computer, filling in the slots with what my computer guy suggests.
    Hubby agrees I need a background stand.Had also considered one of those white background pop up thingies. Obvious but he'd be ok with that.
    Trudy

NIKON D700