Monthly Assignment #3: Get the story!

2»

Comments

• Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    EICMA 20O7 Motorcycle exhibition in Milan
    220137947-M.jpg
    Once again, the Milan motorcycle exhibition was bigger than ever. This year it attracted more than half a million visitors and caused major traffic problems on Milan’s Tangenziale Ovest.

219586400-S.jpg
    Ducati’s long overdue replacement for the15 years old Monster got a lot of buzz, and not only because of the well decorated stand. 220013261-S.jpg
    Among the generally positive attitude, some Monster enthusiasts judged the new bike “too modern and Japanese”. Others may have not looked at the bike at all.

219685947-S.jpg220211741-Th.jpg
    With the much-anticipated Stelvio, powered by a "quattrovalvole" engine, Moto Guzzi steps into the growing road going maxi-enduro sector and challenges mainly the only other shaft driven one, the BMW GS.

219682520-S.jpg
    However, a real surprise on Guzzi’s stand was V7 Special, another incarnation of Guzzi’s small block line, now dressed up as a retro bike, nicely fitting into Moto Guzzi heritage. V7 Special will be on sale next spring.

220089226-S.jpg
    MV Agusta won clearly the “most beautiful bike of the show” contest with its Brutale 1078RR, not too bad for a company whose slogan says “Motorcycle Art”.

Milan is one of the world’s most reputed fashion and style centres, so we decided to dig out the next spring’s fashion colours: white is in, black is totally out, orange is quite yesterday. But beware, white is not just plain dull white, it needs to be pearlescent white. Here are the proofs:
    220101484-Th.jpg220120957-Th.jpg220126617-Th.jpg220145714-Th.jpg220146719-Th.jpg220157452-Th.jpg220155950-Th.jpg220079912-Th.jpg220100493-Th.jpg

And then there's Harley for those who prefer yesterday :D
    220128594-S.jpg
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Pexi,
    First of all, I'd like to apologize for the delay with reply. Totally swamped with post-processing of two large and one very large shoots.

Thank you for the entry! thumb.gif Looks like you had a great time! mwink.gif
    Now I'm curious what Rutt has to say about it! ear.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    PexiPexi Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    First of all, I'd like to apologize for the delay with reply. Totally swamped with post-processing of two large and one very large shoots.

Thank you for the entry! thumb.gif Looks like you had a great time! mwink.gif
    Now I'm curious what Rutt has to say about it! ear.gif

Come on Nikolai, there's no need to apologize! I'm not paying a cent for this great guidance and mentoring you folks are providing here, so if and whenever you use your time to give any feedback, I'm all ear.gifand bowdown.gif . Really.

BTW, this assignment was really hard for me, due to my lousy english grammar and vocabulary, so I'm learning here at many levels! You guys rock wings.gif !!
    Life is pretty straight without motorcycling
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    It seems I always come to these things late, But I will see whats hapening this weekend in the horse capital of the world and get back to the assignment in Photo journalist model ( I do have a press pass thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    CookieS wrote:
    It seems I always come to these things late, But I will see whats hapening this weekend in the horse capital of the world and get back to the assignment in Photo journalist model ( I do have a press pass thumb.gif
    Yay! This would be great! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    just a question;

would anti abortion protests and counterprotests be too controversial for this forum? i may be able to do a PJ photorep about it in two weeks time.

plz let me know.

thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    just a question;

would anti abortion protests and counterprotests be too controversial for this forum? i may be able to do a PJ photorep about it in two weeks time.

plz let me know.

thumb.gif
    PJ is by default about the contoversy. Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    I'll be really glad if this thread comes to life again.
    I shot some Operation Rescue people outside of Boston Planned Parenthood a couple of years ago: here is the gallery.

I tried very hard to cover this story as an impartial journalist. Perhaps I succeeded, because it sparked quite a controversy on Fred Miranda, but there were political criticisms of ME from both sides -- how could I condone those baby killers, why didn't I capitalize the word "God", what right does a man have siding with those antiabortion people. The people with strong views read a neutrally presented story (at least that's what I was trying to do) and saw someone who wasn't being fair to them. That's a good lesson: people only think journalism is "fair and balanced" if its slant agrees with their bias.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    I'll be really glad if this thread comes to life again.
    I shot some Operation Rescue people outside of Boston Planned Parenthood a couple of years ago: here is the gallery.

I tried very hard to cover this story as an impartial journalist. Perhaps I succeeded, because it sparked quite a controversy on Fred Miranda, but there were political criticisms of ME from both sides -- how could I condone those baby killers, why didn't I capitalize the word "God", what right does a man have siding with those antiabortion people. The people with strong views read a neutrally presented story (at least that's what I was trying to do) and saw someone who wasn't being fair to them. That's a good lesson: people only think journalism is "fair and balanced" if its slant agrees with their bias.

I cant believe the critisism you recieved on the story you wrote; to me this is as impartial as it gets. But i see your point, that is why I wasnt planning on being this impartial but more trying to get both sides of the story so they can be seen side by side, regardless of who is right.

I'm not afraid of a good debate about religion because i discuss about it a lot with my peers but more afraid that this debate will be set here at Dgrin (where politics are left out, fortunatly).

hope i will catch the protest because such things are rare here in the netherlands were religion isn't as strong as in other parts of the world. I really like the idea of a PJ assignment and will certainly post something else if this fails. wings.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    larafliteslaraflites Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    "bake sale"
    240327312-M.jpg
    thanks for the inspiration! I caught up with this forum about a month ago and found that pushed me way past my comfort zone. thanks! not only did I take the shot on a busy afternoon, but I also introduced myself and got the story of who she is and what she was doing! and then I sent it to the editor of my local paper! thanks!!

for the link to today's chapel hill news posting of my photo and descriptive words go here:
    http://www.chapelhillnews.com/143/story/11897.html

wings.gif laura -- www.butterflites.smugmug.com
  • Options
    larafliteslaraflites Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    more on bake sale
    just to add, I asked her permission to send the photo and story to the newspaper while talking to her. I also brought her an 8x10 print of the photo a few days after taking the shot. she was quite pleased with it! laura
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    laraflites wrote:
    just to add, I asked her permission to send the photo and story to the newspaper while talking to her. I also brought her an 8x10 print of the photo a few days after taking the shot. she was quite pleased with it! laura
    Yay! Congratualtions! WTG!thumb.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Don't know how I missed out on the MA. But I'm going out this weekend for this!

-Jon
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Don't know how I missed out on the MA. But I'm going out this weekend for this!

-Jon

Great news, Jon, thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    I'm just finding my way around DGrin and exploring all of the categories. I found this one intriguing because, in my other life, I'm a PR professional and spend a lot of time writing stories and trying to find images (my own or others) to illustrate them. Most of my work involves horse shows (English and Western) and livestock exhibits. Sometimes there are other aspects.

http://imagesbyceci.smugmug.com/photos/297101820_m8XYR-S.jpg

This little girl was amazed by the collection of antique tractors racing inside the arena. It was used in context with other shots of the tractors - the focus being on the discrepancy between this wee one and the 60+ year old tractors that appeal to many people, regardless of age or gender.:ivar
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2008
    Snowgirl wrote:
    I'm just finding my way around DGrin and exploring all of the categories. I found this one intriguing because, in my other life, I'm a PR professional and spend a lot of time writing stories and trying to find images (my own or others) to illustrate them. Most of my work involves horse shows (English and Western) and livestock exhibits. Sometimes there are other aspects.

http://imagesbyceci.smugmug.com/photos/297101820_m8XYR-S.jpg

This little girl was amazed by the collection of antique tractors racing inside the arena. It was used in context with other shots of the tractors - the focus being on the discrepancy between this wee one and the 60+ year old tractors that appeal to many people, regardless of age or gender.:ivar
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    The story is quite appealing, my only complaint here is that the photo itself does not provide even a slightest clue to what's happening. Pretty much anything can be said about it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Here is my first shot at this, in this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=99665

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Bendr wrote:
    Here is my first shot at this, in this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=99665

Thanks,
    Ben

Very cool, Ben! thank you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    MikeInRochesterMikeInRochester Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Too late to get in on this?

I have an idea that I can work on in the next couple weeks.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Too late to get in on this?
    I have an idea that I can work on in the next couple weeks.
    Never!thumb.gif
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    The Deal

It's a beautiful day with nothing more fun to do than blow bubbles with my bubble gun.

578543994_g22pq-L.jpg

578773802_c6GPp-L.jpg
    So much fun.

Nice bubble gun! Let's trade!
    578774016_XCpAx-L.jpg

On second though, I'd like my bubble gun back
    578544013_MHAR3-L.jpg

578774021_X7vJg-L.jpg

Bliss!
    578774223_Q2UqT-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter