Options

Please advise on this wide angle lens

jnrpotographyjnrpotography Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited July 1, 2009 in Technique
Hello all,

I shoot alot of band photography, primarily during their concerts. I shoot with a Canon 40D and in my kit I have the Canon 70-200L IS f2.0, Canon 28-135 IS f3.5-5.6, and Canon 50mm f1.4. For an upcoming concert shoot I want to experiment with a wide angle lens for stage shots and also for some formal group shots before the show. The band has anywhere from 10 - 15 members on any given night. I am considering renting the Canon 10-22mm. Anyone with experience on this lens, please advise or do you have a lens that would work better. For the formal group shot I will be outdoors most likely and have a shot idea where I lay on the ground and have the band circle me and look down at me. Would the 10-22mm be able to work for this? Also with a standard group shot. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jd1585jd1585 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I rented the 10 - 22 for an 84 person group shot, and it was fantastic. It went a little soft around the edges but it was barley noticeable. I would consider buying in, but I hope to eventually bump up to the 5DMK II and it is an EF-S lens.

Hello all,

I shoot alot of band photography, primarily during their concerts. I shoot with a Canon 40D and in my kit I have the Canon 70-200L IS f2.0, Canon 28-135 IS f3.5-5.6, and Canon 50mm f1.4. For an upcoming concert shoot I want to experiment with a wide angle lens for stage shots and also for some formal group shots before the show. The band has anywhere from 10 - 15 members on any given night. I am considering renting the Canon 10-22mm. Anyone with experience on this lens, please advise or do you have a lens that would work better. For the formal group shot I will be outdoors most likely and have a shot idea where I lay on the ground and have the band circle me and look down at me. Would the 10-22mm be able to work for this? Also with a standard group shot. Thanks!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    You can't go wrong with that lens - love it. It's a special purpose tool so it doesn't work for every situation, but when the job is right for the lens, well ..... nothing's better IMNSHO :D

Rent it and see. What would be the harm?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    on to the pose.....remember your camera needs to be dead center for the up shot.....depending on the genre of the band a few off center might be good also.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    oferreroferrer Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2009
    You definitely can't go wrong with the Canon 10-22mm, it's one of the best wide angle lenses out there for Canon, mostly sharp even at 10mm, and will be definitely enough to get 10 to 15 people in a group shot. If you're trying to go for a really wild look you could go for something even wider, like an 8mm fisheye, but the 10-22 is a bit more versatile and somewhat easier to use, especially if you have that many people waiting for the shot.

If you are looking to rent one, aperturent.com currently has it in stock, here is the direct link to the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (and here is the fisheye). Contact me if you have any questions as I work for them.
    Hello all,

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I'd also consider the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. If you are shooting in low lighting, the faster lens may help you out. Optically it's sharper than the Canon. However, the Canon focuses better, especially in low light conditions.