Options

a "cool" picture from Vegas

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in Holy Macro
i very rarely like my own images, and even though this image could have been way better - i do like what i was able to come up with. I think it's a "cool picture"...... ISO 3200, 20D lens - EF-S 10-22
troy
15803602-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    i very rarely like my own images, and even though this image could have been way better - i do like what i was able to come up with. I think it's a "cool picture"...... ISO 3200, 20D lens - EF-S 10-22
    troy
    15803602-M.jpg
    I'm not the gamblin' type but you just made me wanna go to vegas! Really, this is a nice shot. It's out of my forte' but I like it a lot!!
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Troy, that's a very nice shot, I really liked it. My camera wouldn't be able to capture that without tons of noise, nice job. thumb.gif

I hope you don't mind but I played with it a bit to see if perspective cropping would look good on the buildings. I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Dave

15892775-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    all i can sya are two things!!!!

WOW and GO BOSTON!!!!!

thanx!!

troy

DJ-S1 wrote:
    Troy, that's a very nice shot, I really liked it. My camera wouldn't be able to capture that without tons of noise, nice job. thumb.gif

I hope you don't mind but I played with it a bit to see if perspective cropping would look good on the buildings. I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Dave

15892775-L.jpg
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Great night shot! I've not been to Vegas in years, but its as bright as I remember.

For a person used to telephoto, you've really done a nice job with the new WA.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    thanx dave - I appreciate the encouragement!!!!!!

troy
    dkapp wrote:
    Great night shot! I've not been to Vegas in years, but its as bright as I remember.

For a person used to telephoto, you've really done a nice job with the new WA.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    so dave - do tell HOW DID YOU DO IT???
    i wouldnt know where to begin

troy
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Dave

15892775-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    Oh, sorry! Do you have Photoshop, or some equivalent?

- In the crop tool, there's a box that says "perspective". Check that, and then you will be able to drag the corners in separately. So instead of cropping to a rectangle, you can crop to a trapezoid shape. I just dragged the top left corner to the right to match the angle of the left building, then did the same for the top right corner and the angle of the right building. When you execute the crop, it figures it all out and stretches it where it needs to.

It doesn't always work great, but in this case it came out pretty good.

- Other than that, before I cropped it I rotated it a bit to make the "Eiffel Tower" straight.

- After the crop I made a layer copy of the background (ctrl-J), then changed the blending pull-down to "overlay", and played with the layer opacity until I liked the result. I think I ended up with 20% or so. This step makes the image more saturated (I think).

- I cloned out the bright right edge of the "hot air balloon" because I thought it was distracting.

- The only other thing was an unsharp mask filter. I was able to be fairly aggressive with it, so it sharpened up nicely.

That's it. It's a lot to type, and it sounds complicated but it's really simple. It took me 3 or 4 minutes to do. I am not a Photoshop guru by any means, I just like fooling around with it. If you have Photoshop or Paintshop Pro or something similar, you can learn this stuff just by playing with it and reading Dgrin. That's how I learned a few months back.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2005
    PS: Always nice to meet another Sox fan! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2005
    it took me all this while to finally get back to you, but thanx for the "tutorial" .

troy
    PS How'd ya like that 17-1 Boston blowout!!
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    PS: Always nice to meet another Sox fan! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    it took me all this while to finally get back to you, but thanx for the "tutorial" .

troy
    PS How'd ya like that 17-1 Boston blowout!!
    I missed the whole series with family commitments, but I got some good shooting in so it's not all bad! I love 17-1, but I'll settle for making the playoffs. It's gonna be tough this year. nod.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Hey Nice Shot Troy
    windoze wrote:
    troy
    Got a question for you.......... I love that shot.

I've never pushed my camera to 3200, in this shot I see you have lots of really nice bright lighting, did you hand hold the shot? and could you have done the same thing at 1600 ??? just curious to know because I want to do this sort of thing at night soon myself :) Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Now thats a great night shot. Very well taken and certainly is something I would like to see. Also great to see you here thumb.gif

Danny.