Options

Tucson Sky: June 30 7:30 PM-8:30 PM

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited July 3, 2009 in Landscapes
We had some special light and skies tonight here in Tucson. Thought I'd share with y'al. :D

578875767_xWkeo-L-1.jpg

578871620_Mn4Gv-L-1.jpg

578855108_yewzZ-L-1.jpg

578849159_TZnwU-L-1.jpg

578840464_khTSz-L-1.jpg

578835799_LeHpe-L-1.jpg

578821851_6M3wY-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Great light and series, Dan! That 1st shot took my breath away! thumb.gifclap.gif The rainbow shot is pretty special too.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    that first shot looks like it came from AZ Highways! O...love these colors! Monsoon makes for exciting color doesn't it? clap.gif we need something to redeem the heat and humidity!:D
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Very nice series Dan. The first two are spectacular.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Great light and series, Dan! That 1st shot took my breath away! thumb.gifclap.gif The rainbow shot is pretty special too.

Thanks so much Mahesh. These were almost SOOTC. Just a few minor crop and level adjustments. It was quite amazing around the old neighborhood last night wings.gif

Dan
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Beautiful series, #1 and #2 are absolutely spectacular.

I'm staring at #4 and trying to figure it out. headscratch.gif

I'm confused by the color break in the sky where it goes from blue to orange. Is the orange from a bank of high clouds from the edge of the front reflecting the sun ???
  • Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Very nice Dan! I'm new to smugmug and this forum. I'm up in the Phoenix area. I really enjoyed the photos you took of Tucson. I wish we still received monsoon weather like you do. Great shots!
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:

I'm staring at #4 and trying to figure it out. headscratch.gif

I'm confused by the color break in the sky where it goes from blue to orange. Is the orange from a bank of high clouds from the edge of the front reflecting the sun ???

The orange is actually a cloud which is lit from the setting sun. The blue is the Eastern or North sky. You were thinking correctly. thumb.gif

Dan correct me if I am wrong but you were probably facing East to North East on #4.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Dan great stuff. clap.gif

matrix311 wrote:
    Very nice Dan! I'm new to smugmug and this forum. I'm up in the Phoenix area. I really enjoyed the photos you took of Tucson. I wish we still received monsoon weather like you do. Great shots!

We will get some great stuff soon enough. Have the camera ready this weekend and take a drive to the nearest desert. If you are in the East valley head to the Superstitions, North East head to Carefree/Cave Creek, North West head towards Lake Pleasant, South.......um.... South Mountain will work. :D

I will be spending as much of the weekend as possible in the Sonoran Desert SW of Phoenix.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    The orange is actually a cloud which is lit from the setting sun. The blue is the Eastern or North sky. You were thinking correctly. thumb.gif

Dan correct me if I am wrong but you were probably facing East to North East on #4.

The orange IS a reflection from the setting sun, but I am actually facing due west in this shot, and it is just minutes after the sun had set below the horizon. The blue sky is quite a bit above the western horizon, and if you were to look over that hill in the foreground, you would see more orange clouds and the actual horizon line. It is hard to make out what you are looking at, if you don't really know. It is actually similar to the last photo, only later in time.

Hope that all makes sense, and thanks for the comments.thumb.gif

Dan
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Nothing like nature to start and close each day with a bang! Really, really nice stuff here, Dan :D

There's always something special about the kind of light that comes on the opposite side oa dramatic clouds. Is this typical summer weather in AZ or an all-year phenomenon?
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Nothing like nature to start and close each day with a bang! Really, really nice stuff here, Dan :D

There's always something special about the kind of light that comes on the opposite side oa dramatic clouds. Is this typical summer weather in AZ or an all-year phenomenon?

Many great sunset/sunrise oportunities in Tucson year round but the summer monsoon season from late June to early September is when the dramatic thunderstorms roll in frequently.

This will be my first Monsoon with decent photography equipment. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can capture this year. wings.gif
  • Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Dan great stuff. clap.gif

We will get some great stuff soon enough. Have the camera ready this weekend and take a drive to the nearest desert. If you are in the East valley head to the Superstitions, North East head to Carefree/Cave Creek, North West head towards Lake Pleasant, South.......um.... South Mountain will work. :D

I will be spending as much of the weekend as possible in the Sonoran Desert SW of Phoenix.

I'm in Laveen, so the Estrella Mountains or South Mountain is closest to me.
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 1, 2009
    Great series, Dan! Monsoons started early this year, huh? Awesome skies, and I love the sweet light on the saguaros. We have some weather coming in as well. Guess I better get the camera ready. 9496500-Ti.gif
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I'll be in Sedona on Sunday. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great series, Dan! Monsoons started early this year, huh? Awesome skies, and I love the sweet light on the saguaros. We have some weather coming in as well. Guess I better get the camera ready. 9496500-Ti.gif

I'll be in Sedona on Sunday. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Nice hearing from you Joel. Sedona ought to be great right now.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Very nice series Dan

Nice compositions and well the colors....... Well done
    Rags
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

Thanks Schmoo. It's typical for late June & July when when we have monsoons. We get lots of rainbows and fabulous skies not to be believed. The rest of the year it is very sunny and mostly cloudless.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Now that's some crazy light! My favorites are #1 and #3. I think #3 has a strong composition, it might be improved if the silhouetted foreground ran all the way across the bottom of the frame instead of dropping out with 1/3 of the frame left to go (you could crop to achieve this affect, but that would make the tree larger and I think it would work better smaller).
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I love that first shot. Good work!
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    bgarland wrote:
    Many great sunset/sunrise oportunities in Tucson year round but the summer monsoon season from late June to early September is when the dramatic thunderstorms roll in frequently.

This will be my first Monsoon with decent photography equipment. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can capture this year. wings.gif

Another Tucson Dgrinner wings.gif What part of town?

Dan
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Another Tucson Dgrinner wings.gif What part of town?

Dan

A newbe here, learning to play with my first decent equipment. Canon 50D with good glass. wings.gif

I live near Sunrise and Craycroft in the foothills. I love getting out in the back country. I'm hoping to schedule some good trips during the monsoon so all of my attempts aren't just shot off my porch. :D

Brad
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Now that's some crazy light! My favorites are #1 and #3. I think #3 has a strong composition, it might be improved if the silhouetted foreground ran all the way across the bottom of the frame instead of dropping out with 1/3 of the frame left to go (you could crop to achieve this affect, but that would make the tree larger and I think it would work better smaller).

Thanks for your comments and suggestion Ron. Unfortunately there is nothing to crop in. That's an uncropped photo.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Beautiful colors and light Dan. 1,2,&7 are my favorites.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    What a great series of skies Daniel, the first is special.
    wendell