Options

wtb: Lightstand + Umbrella + Hot-Shoe Adapter for umbrella holder

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited July 7, 2009 in The Kitchen Sink
wtb: Lightstand + Umbrella + Hot-Shoe Adapter for umbrella holder

I'm looking to shoot w/ a portable hot shoe flash attached to a light stand and a white umbrella. Something similar to what Shay did here. Looking to spend around or less than $50 for a set.

Budget is the usual issue, if you can point me to the right direction, that would be really help. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Strobist setup
    On www.strobist.com, which is the premier source for info on this tyupe of setup, there is an advertiser that has specialized in this, Midwest Photo Exchange (www.MPEX.com). I think its more in the range of $100 though. You can probably substitue a cheaper light stand though. Moishe is the MPEX guy to talk to about it.
  • Options
    rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I just got this same setup in the mail TODAY!!! (well yesterday...it's 2 AM now)...

I got it all from B&H and the total was like $60.75 including shipping. So far I'm pleased. While it is definitaly not the best stuff it gets your flash off camera and adjustable.

Here are the model numbers of the stuff I got.

Impact IMBSM
    Umbrella Bracket REG

Impact IMLS6BQ
    Black Light Stand REG

Westcott WEU43SS
    Umbrella - Soft Silver, Collapsible Compact - 43" REG

You could substitute the umbrella for a slightly cheaper one, possibly saving 5 bucks or so. But as far as the stand and umbrella adapter go I think what I got is about the cheapest you would want to go.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    Cool. That price isnt as bad as 100+.

The Wescott umbrella you listed just went out of stock.
    Everything else is in stock though.

Give me a pm or email me joel@pnoise.com w/ photos of the entire set-up..all set up. I wanna' see how tall it goes and stuff.

But yeah, I really want to buy a studio kit, but I'm still unsure if I'm ready to commit to that large of an investment. So this is very affordable.

Did you buy one set or two? I really want to buy 2 sets for two flashes.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    Hey man...sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...I haven't checked Dgrin till right now!

I took some pics but they are horrible... I'm about to go to bed but I wanted to get back to you asap.

The lightstand will go up to 7' 8" maxed out with the legs as high as they can go (not super stable). I wouldn't go more than just over 7' with it.

In the picture I have it raised up prolly around 6' 6" or so. It could go higher but not with the umbrella on it inside my house.

In the other picture you can see that all taken down the stand is about 25" long and the umbrella is super compact.

As far as the umbrella goes I don't know what would be the best bang for the buck, I will probably get a white shoot-through umbrella soon so you might think of getting one of those first then waiting on the other to come back in stock.

I will tell you that the 'collapsible compact' means that the umbrella shaft actually pushes in to half the length. I'm guessing normal umbrellas don't do that.

-Grant
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    Stuff broken down
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    Cool thanks I'll look into it.

How did you keep the ebay flash trigger from falling or detaching when attached to the top of the impact adapter?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    That impact umbrella adapter comes with a shoe mount. It has a thumb screw on the side that keeps the ebay trigger's mount secured.

If you do get this umbrella adapter one thing I might suggest is you should switch the end that the hot shoe adapter is on because the way it comes you can't swivel your umbrella with the flash... That will make more sense when you have it sittin in front of you to see.

-Grant
  • Options
    whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Yeah. That's the way it's supposed to go. I guess they just got mixed up at the factory. Also the umbrella is supposed to be in the side so it's slanted upwards slightly.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts