Options

#29 - "Memories"

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited July 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I just played a little with some images I took these days, thinking to create something
maybe good enough for the DS29 - song contest...

This image would say "Memories"

583595947_BrnLE-L.jpg

What do you think?
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Very nice, Tatiana! clap.gif

BTW, not only can use use "Memories" from Cats, you can also use "The Way We Were" as a title. Both would work. "The Way We Were" has a verse that also goes perfectly with this:

Memories
    Light the corners of my mind
    Misty watercolor memories
    Of the way we were
    Scattered pictures
    Of the smiles we left behind
    Smiles we gave to one another
    For the way we were

As a matter of fact, that's the first song I heard in my head when I saw your photo.

I'm wondering how the background images would look if you applied the Orton effect to them? headscratch.gif

Something tells me this challenge is going to make us all crazy before the month is up. :crazy rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Very nice, Tatiana! clap.gif

BTW, not only can use use "Memories" from Cats, you can also use "The Way We Were" as a title. Both would work. "The Way We Were" has a verse that also goes perfectly with this:

Memories
    Light the corners of my mind
    Misty watercolor memories
    Of the way we were
    Scattered pictures
    Of the smiles we left behind
    Smiles we gave to one another
    For the way we were

As a matter of fact, that's the first song I heard in my head when I saw your photo.

I'm wondering how the background images would look if you applied the Orton effect to them? headscratch.gif

Something tells me this challenge is going to make us all crazy before the month is up. :crazy rolleyes1.gif

You are an angel Linda!!!

1. I tried to find a title related to that image, but all I could get was "Memories" by Elvis Presley:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YzwL9-c_w

However "The Way We Were" fits soooo much BETTER !

Wonderful lyrics too thumb.gif

2. Oh, yeah - the "Orton effect" was what I felt I needed for those images in the background!!!

I didn't know about it, but now I'll search for how to do it thumb.gif

I don't have words to thank you :D

An yes there will be some gorgeous images on this round, I'm sure.

One thing that I don't really agree with, is making from a photography contest
    an actual "digital imagery / graphic design" contest.

- I personally didn't have the intention to do a composite image, but I did it because
    the first photo posted into the contest was, ... and... I yes, a composite image
    can be more powerful that just a simple shot...

I've been doing this (digital imagery / graphic design) for about 15 years now
    - mainly for web and for budget clients using stock photos -

I came here to learn photography as a hoby, not to do the same thing...

Hmm....
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    I disagree with you that a composite image can deliver a more powerful message than a straight photograph can.

Here are some famous album covers that are not composites and yet they are classics:

http://www.abc.net.au/myfavouritealbum/albumart/img/stickyfingers.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioassets/photos/2007/8/23/27383_2.jpg

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/elvis_presley/elvis_presley/

It all boils down to a matter of taste and what you're trying to express. ne_nau.gif

The value of these challenges is that they force you to think outside the box. In your case and in mine in the previous challenge this has forced us over into a new realm -- creating a composite image. And composite images don't necessarily do well in challenges -- heck I got only one vote for mine in the last one and it wasn't even my own. rolleyes1.gif But, I had a lot of fun creating that image and it REALLY taught me how to think outside of the box. And no one can take that away from me.

Sorry for rambling. But I think you have a very nice image. And plenty of time to try different versions and have a lot of fun with it. mwink.gif
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I disagree with you that a composite image can deliver a more powerful message than a straight photograph can.

Here are some famous album covers that are not composites and yet they are classics:

It all boils down to a matter of taste and what you're trying to express. ne_nau.gif

The value of these challenges is that they force you to think outside the box. In your case and in mine in the previous challenge this has forced us over into a new realm -- creating a composite image. And composite images don't necessarily do well in challenges -- heck I got only one vote for mine in the last one and it wasn't even my own. rolleyes1.gif But, I had a lot of fun creating that image and it REALLY taught me how to think outside of the box. And no one can take that away from me.

Sorry for rambling. But I think you have a very nice image. And plenty of time to try different versions and have a lot of fun with it. mwink.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

I know :)

When I was writing the reply I was actually thinking that I will have a response like this... and here it is.

... Hmm,... yes you are right, and I'm so happy you are thinking like this thumb.gif

And in addition I have to say that I really appreciated your work and creativity -

Your "rambling" it's what I actually needed to hear - thank you for this :)

Yes, I have time to find a better shot rolleyes1.gif

Thank you and thank you "bf2015" to enforce this too iloveyou.gif

All the best to you :D
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Well, what more can be said... Looks like they covered all the basis here.:D

Good luck on your entry..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Honest C&C, I'm not feeling this one. If you want to have a realistic shot at winning one of these things you really have to bring your A game. The competition is pretty fierce. I should now, I've never managed to win one. And I'm oozing with so much talent that my awesomeness actually radiates in some sort of electromagnetic way, causing my camera to fail at critical moments.

Seriously, here's what I don't like:

1- The framing is too tight. The ghost images look like they are squashing her, or trying to steal her breath, or are about to tie her up and throw her in a walking chicken legged shack, or something Baba Yaga-ish. Give the central character some room to breathe.

2- I have very strong feelings about Kitsch. I only shoot it because it sells, but I don't generally like it. (check here for a description of my judging prejudices, which inform the rest of the post)

I'm super iffy on composites, because they tend to be a slippery slope towards kitsch, even schlock. There's a very fine line between kitsch (which can be good) and schlock (which is never good), and that line has to do with oversentimentalizing and oversymbolizing things. I think you've strayed too far here. Symbolism should be delivered with a nudge, not a hammer.

All the tech details in this photo are good, and you've at the very least given the theme some thought, and tried to present it in an interesting way, so that's good- you are already ahead of 90% of the other folks out there. But the top 5% of entrants will make your eyes hurt with their awesomeness and fill you with a bitter, homicideal, nikon breaking (theirs, not yours of course) rage.... Oh, I've said too much.

Regardless, none of them will win either. I think your on a good track. But why not try to take a melancholy route? (melancholy often saves Kitsch from Schlockiness).

Aslo, the ghost chick on the left with the clapping hands looks as if she has just tried, and failed, to catch that seagull in mid-air. Perhaps she doesn't know she has ghost hands? ditch the clapping, or reposition it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Tatiana - I like the idea, but I just find this image too busy. Too many colors maybe? I wish I could be more specific - I just know that it doesn't work for me. ne_nau.gif I know you'll appreciate the honesty. I have no worries for you though.....how many contenders did you have for the last round - 5?! thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Ha, ha... Thank you Justiceiro and Whiterice for your comments :D

Yes I really appreciate this kind of honest / helpful feed back iloveyou.gif

I will give it another thought considering all the details you suggested,
    or maybe I'll come with something else :davidto

Thank you again thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    I will give it another thought considering all the details you suggested, or maybe I'll come with something else :davidto

:lurk:D
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    :lurk:D

mwink.gif

BTW: 5 minutes ago, I finally found my wanted shot for the "Circles or Squares" subject :smo

I didn't take it because now I DON'T WANT it anymore rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    try to make the dream part B&W as im told we dream in B&W.... but I cant confirm that info since I never remember my dreams, I just wake dripping of sweat and my teeth hurt from clinching.... j/k

Anyway, IMHO
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    try to make the dream part B&W as im told we dream in B&W.... but I cant confirm that info since I never remember my dreams, I just wake dripping of sweat and my teeth hurt from clinching.... j/k

Anyway, IMHO
    Not me... I have full techno-color!

maybe its all those drugs.....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009

Anyway, IMHO

rolleyes1.gif

Good idea - I can try, but I'll also try improving a little the overall composition thumb.gif

This in case I really cannot find anything else... ne_nau.gif

Thank you :D
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Not me... I have full techno-color!

maybe its all those drugs.....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I actually don't think I dream B&W either - I even remember last night seeing lots of colors,
    and I know I went to bed before 12.00 and only had 2 beers, 1 small bottle of red wine and
    very few shots of whisky... mwink.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    I actually don't think I dream B&W either - I even remember last night seeing lots of colors,
    and I know I went to bed before 12.00 and only had 2 beers, 1 small bottle of red wine and
    oh, I'm sure that wouldn't do it.... :lol

BTW... just how many is "very few"? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    oh, I'm sure that wouldn't do it.... :lol

BTW... just how many is "very few"? rolleyes1.gif

I don't remember rolleyes1.gif

- kidding, of course :lol
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    mwink.gif

BTW: 5 minutes ago, I finally found my wanted shot for the "Circles or Squares" subject :smo

I didn't take it because now I DON'T WANT it anymore rolleyes1.gif

That is so funny Tatiana - it seems that all I ever notice lately are circles....GRRRR!! Matter of fact, I took this shot last week that I love very much.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    That is so funny Tatiana - it seems that all I ever notice lately are circles....GRRRR!! Matter of fact, I took this shot last week that I love very much.

Same here rolleyes1.gif

BTW: your image is gorgeous!!! I love, it, love it, love it sooo much iloveyou.gif

583701448_PRnoQ-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:

You are too funnyrolleyes1.gif That reminds me of a song.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvka3SSv9Y
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    You are too funnyrolleyes1.gif That reminds me of a song.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvka3SSv9Y

Now that's a foot-tapper for sure! And a head-bobber. ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Now that's a foot-tapper for sure! And a head-bobber. ylsuper.gif

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer

Ha, ha... he's missing the wine, but of course this is understandable
    since he's not in Spain :cavig hmm... I think we need some more icons here
    rolleyes1.gif