Options

Building portfolio - my first subjects. C&C Wanted!

sonny_csonny_c Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited July 11, 2009 in People
DGRIN meet Briana and Iliana. I am building a portrait portfolio and these sisters were my first official victims...err...subjects.:D
Don't hold back. Be honest and do not sugar coat it. I take constructive criticism well. Thanks.

1. & 2.
GTP_5972.jpgGTP_5980_Edit.jpg

GTP_5995_Edit.jpg

GTP_6019_2.jpg

GTP_6107_1.jpg

GTP_6143_Edit_1.jpg

GTP_6167_Edit_Edit.jpg

GTP_6220_Edit_1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Sonny-

Good job!
    I particularly liked (and thought they'd make good portfolio fodder) #s 3, 4, & 5.
    I'll preface my comments with a statement: I have to warn my portfolios haven't been updated enough recently to really get it to where I'd like either... Think of these comments as "perfect world" comments, in other words: in a perfect world, you'd like to have done this/do this.
    In the mean time, while lacking a perfect world, we make do and make the best of things. :) Do what you need to.

#1 is a cute shot, and the parents will be happy, but it doesn't strike me as having a lot of zing as a particularly special shot. It's not a problem for the shoot, just maybe not the best shot for a portfolio.

#2 has more feeling to it, but I really liked the dress color as an offset; was the door/floor too brightly colored and distracting to leave it as a color image? Expression is good, but even if this is more up to portfolio fodder, I'd be extra selective with the portfolio and not get people bored with too many images.

#3: very nice image. The parallel arches of the bench and the trained bushes, as well as the matching arch of her arms, is great. The expression and pose are also very nice: relaxed, fun, happy. Great background separation and color distinction.

#4: Very nice as well. Almost an obligatory pose, I think, and the expression is key. Good job.

#5: Sibling interaction, especially where one isn't as enthralled as the other, is always fun. A good keeper for the portfolio for now; should you ever get a better similar image, you might replace it.

#6: (this one might make some people mad at me... sorry in advance! It's cold hearted commentary and nothing meant in a personal manner at all!) Good picture of the little girl (I'm sure her parents are happy!), and you might keep it until you get a better image, but I might try for a replacement sooner rather than later.
    (you can tell how worried I am about p*ssing you/others off with the above by how much I'm hedging around and not getting directly to the point....)
    People are people, and we're all different (and that's good!), but you might try for a more photogenic baby. Many babies (all?!?) look better to their parents than to other people (mine too, I'm sure!), and the concept is good, so I'd definitely say it's worth a repeat. An improvement: you might move more behind the older sister to get the separation a little less between them.

#7 Concept is good, maybe a bit too much expression on the younger sis. Some might disagree with that, though. I like the composition, etc., but again I'm not sure about hte B&W effect. Could be a personal thing on that, too. (I like color like Eggleston liked it: bold and _there_.)

#8: Like the concept, jsut not sure if it worked out so well here. I find the background rose colors distracting a bit, too.
    (comments getting shorter as it gets later.....)

I think you've definitely got some excellent images for a portfolio there; good job!
    NateW
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Number 3 is really special...wonderful composition and color. Definitely my fave.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thank you Nate! I asked and you definitely delivered.

For my purposes, this is why I like posting. Nate, you have brought to my attention the little things that matter but I overlooked. I appreciate your honesty. These are the kind of notes I will keep with me and review before my next session. Thanks again!

I have a difficult time deciding which post processing (PP) technique will best fit each photo. For these photos I have applied three different PP techniques to each photo.

1. Enhanced PP. Saturate colors, fix blemishes, adjust WB if needed...etc.
    2. B&W conversion.
    3. Sepia/Antique conversion. Sometime called split tone processing.

When I present these to the parent do I show her all the photos with all three PP techniques?
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I think they're all nice and show some interesting ideas. I'm not sure about the pastel approach though…

The one I really like is #7. If only both kids had been looking directly into the camera! Judicious cropping and you'd have a very humorous take on "Masks of Tragedy & Comedy" (was that intended, BTW or just by chance?)

Cute kids, though…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Way ta go NATE! clap.gif (not kidding).
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    sonny_c wrote:
    When I present these to the parent do I show her all the photos with all three PP techniques?

If I get 'stuck' on what version suites an image better, I'll show the varient too and let the client decide which is best, BUT; if I believe one is stronger over the other, then only the strongest makes it to the table.

I figure, why complicate things (?)...
  • Options
    SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    These are all wonderful shots. My favorites are #'s 4, 5, and 8.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Really cute kids! Looks like they didn't mind posing. The photo's are nice and sharp, the bokeh is beautiful and you got good expressions... I like the processing...not too over done... Here are just a few nits...but take it for what its worth...I am by no means perfect :D

#1...something really bothers me about it. the legs, the arms...I don't know....I think the crop should be tighter. Cutting off the legs when you are above and they are very thin makes it look a little weird...I would crop that into a cute headshot..maybe even in a horizontal and next time get all the way to the feet...

#2 very cute pose...like the conversion.

#3. might be a little tilted, but that could be my eyes! Centered seems to work here.

#4 and 5 I like alot.

#6 I would crop the older girl out and focus more on the baby. The blob of hair is a bit distracting...

#7...very cute...watch out for cut off fingers etc...

#8 very cute pose but a little too centered for my taste.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    lindazgrinlindazgrin Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great job! I think these are incredible. clap.gif
    www.lindazelnio.com
    D300 l 85/1.4 l 35/2 l 50/1.8 l 70-300vr l 28-105 l tokina 17-50/2.8 l 135ais l Sb600 and sb900 l Mac
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great set here. I really like them all except for #1.

1) The angle/pose seems to make her head a little disproportional.

2) Great shot an great smile.

3) Beautiful location - very nice!

4) Maybe my favorite of the bunch.

5) Great capture - It makes me chuckle every time I look at it - I love it! I love the interaction and the expression on the little girls face.

6) I like this one and as a parent I would like it even more. After reading Nate's post above I can understand the difference between a great photo for the parents to buy and love as compared to a great photo for a portfolio so sure if you get a photogenic baby in a similar shot then replace it.

7) I like the photo and again the parents may also but I would not add this to your portfolio. Where in #5 the little girl's expression with the interaction makes me laugh, the "feeling I get" (very subjective) here is that the little girl is afraid of something and I don't get a good feeling looking at this image like I do with #5.

8) Just lovely - Again it makes me happy to see her smiling face and her cutting up. Very cute girl.

And of course I must add the standard disclaimer I see all the time. I am not an expert by any means. I am just adding in my own subjective comments.

I really did enjoy this set - Thanks for posting.
    Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thank you ladies and gentlemen encouraging words. It's great to hear different points of views about my shot selection and post processing.

I learned so much just from one shoot. With that being said, I still have miles to go, but improving is something I look forward to doing.