LR2 settings for 8X10 prints

timberline12ktimberline12k Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited July 10, 2009 in SmugMug Support
My photo file sizes has increased from around 1MB to 5MB on transfers to my SmugMug web site. I changed some settings when I was downsizing files for video only and now can't figure out what to change back to.

I use LR2 and normally download it to a folder, then download the folder to SmugMug. I know there is some plug in, but I don't know how to use it even after reading the instructions.:scratch

I changed some of the settings and now the file sizes are much larger.

If I want to order 8X10 prints from SmugMug, what LR2 settings should I use for the highest quality?

I selected 240 on the pixels per inch, but did not resize. I also selected 100% on the quality.

There are also other selections on preview, but I don't know what they are for.

Sorry for the basic questions. I never really received any training and just started using LR2.

Would you suggest selecting the SmugMug color correction?

I use a D700 and shoot RAW. Files are converted to JPEG when they are exported from LR2.

Please suggest anything else if I have left it out.

David

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    My photo file sizes has increased from arond 1MB to 5MB on transfers to my SmugMug web site. I changed some settings when I was downsizing files for video only and now can't figure out what to change back to.

I use LR2 and normally download it to a folder, then download the folder to SmugMug. I know there is some plug in, but I don't know how to use it even after reading the instructions.headscratch.gif

I changed some of the settings and now the file sizes are much larger.
    If I want to order 8X10 prints from SmugMug, what LR2 settings should I use for the highest quality?

I selected 240 on the pixels per inch, but did not resize. I also selected 100% on the quality.

There are also other selections on preview, but I don't know what they are for.

Sorry for the basic questions. I never really received any training and just started using LR2.

Would you suggest selecting the SmugMug color correction?

Please suggest anything else if I have left it out.
    I would suggest using 85% on the quality. This is a compression level setting and 100% uses almost no compression. You will see a lot smaller file size at 85%, but no discernible difference in prints.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • timberline12ktimberline12k Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    John,

Thanks!

Are there any other settings I should use? What is the 240 per inch for? Should I resize? I would prefer not to change the 4X6 ratio. If I like the white balance should I opt for SmugMug color correction?

David
    edited July 10, 2009
    John,

Thanks!

Are there any other settings I should use? What is the 240 per inch for? Should I resize? I would prefer not to change the 4X6 ratio. If I like the white balance should I opt for SmugMug color correction?

David
    You should NOT resize. The resolution by itself is just a piece of metadata that Smugmug does not use as long as you are not resizing. I can't tell you whether you should use Smugmug color correction. It depends upon how accurately your white balance is on your photos. If your monitor is calibrated and you manually tweak the white balance to be just right, then there is no need for automatic color correction. If, none of those are the case, then Smugmug's color correction may improve your prints.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited July 10, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    You should NOT resize. The resolution by itself is just a piece of metadata that Smugmug does not use as long as you are not resizing. I can't tell you whether you should use Smugmug color correction. It depends upon how accurately your white balance is on your photos. If your monitor is calibrated and you manually tweak the white balance to be just right, then there is no need for automatic color correction. If, none of those are the case, then Smugmug's color correction may improve your prints.

John,

Thanks for the clarification. I will not resize or ask for SmugMug color correction. I use a color calibration unit on my monitor.

What should the pixels per inch be set for to produce a high quality 8X10 from SmugMug?

David
    edited July 10, 2009
    John,

Thanks for the clarification. I will not resize or ask for SmugMug color correction. I use a color calibration unit on my monitor.

What should the pixels per inch be set for to produce a high quality 8X10 from SmugMug?

David
    I said the pixels per inch setting is not used at all by Smugmug or it's printer (as long as you are not resizing to it). It does not matter at all.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited July 10, 2009
    John,

Thanks for the clarification. The pixels per inch was another box to check and I did not know if it was related to resizing. I don't have access to my LR2 at the moment and I was going from memory. You addressed all my questions and I should be set to order some prints.

Thanks,
    David