Options

Canon 5D mark 2, What battery grip? Batteries?

kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited July 12, 2009 in Cameras
Hello all!

Finally pulling the trigger on a new 5D

My question is what are you guys using for batteries and grips?

Are Canon factory accessories/batteries a must on this camera?

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Go with canon grip? and aftermarket batteries?
Any other must have accessories for this?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,906 moderator
    edited June 29, 2009
    I don't plan on getting a vertical grip for my 5D MKII mostly because how I use it I don't really need the grip. I am very happy with the battery life with just one battery and the camera handles fine for me in portrait without the grip.

I use both a Canon battery and inexpensive third party batteries, but as far as I know none of the available third party batteries are completely compatible with the "smart" features of the Canon batteries. Most disturbing is the third party batteries do not communicate remaining power information so the camera will not show how much life is left in the battery.

Not really a problem for me but if it was your only camera or your primary camera I could see it as a problem.

There is also the possibility that these cheap batteries could damage the camera, so I don't recommend them as a rule.

Canon batteries are now available so that is what I recommend. (For a long time it was a problem to get the genuine Canon batteries for the 5D MKII.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    I would use the grip for vertical shooting and extended battery life.
    I primarily shoot events, batteries going dead is not always an option for me

Are there any quality aftermarket grips?

Im leaning towards factory Canon equipment at the moment.
    -Grip and 3x batteries... too bad its so $$

Thanks for your input ziggy!
  • Options
    EmmettEmmett Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    The original canon LP-E6 batteries are 1800Ah and last for ages. I shot a motorsport event at 5MP (S normal) and after 200 shots it had dropped down by 1 bar to 3 bars remaining!! I have a second canon battery now they're available and the price has started to come down (£60 on Amazon). I just hope I need it!

The 5MP images are pretty good quality...

IMG_1318.jpg
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Phottix Battery Grip is very nice and 99% the quality and feel of the original Canon grip. It comes with a free Battery magazine too. Just google it.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    How many extra batteries do you need to purchase with the grip? 1 or 2? I'm also trying to make this purchase.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    The grips work with 1 and with 2.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston