Seeking tripod recommendation

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited July 15, 2009 in Accessories
Dgrinners...

I am looking for a recommendation on a sturdy, field-ready tripod.

I travel extensively, mostly internationally, and I need something that is solid but, takes weight and saving kgs to heart.

I also take my photography to extreme climates recently for example Muscat, Oman temp. +51C, Borneo, Malaysia +42C and last year Yellowknife, NWT temp -53C. So the tripod should be tough and climate resistent.

I have a D300, 70-200mm lens and occassionally use a colleague's 80-400mm lens, so the tripod will need to be able to hold the weight.

My current tripod is solid but weighs ALOT, making packing it for long international flights a challenge, and carrying it in the field, even more so.

I have a ball mount head that I love and will probably stick with the same head unless totally moved to switch to something different.

Thus, any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I would suggest one of the Giottos 4 section tripods....they come in aluminum, carbon and basalt.

Great pod especially if carrying attached to backpack....short enuff to enter bus, trams and trains without hitting top of doors..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I recently bought a Gitzo 1541 Mountaineer tripod with an Acratech GV2 leveling ballhead. I love it to bits. It's a very big investment, but has several features:

- 4 sections, collapses down to roughly 24" tall inc. ballhead
    - carbon fiber - weighing 2.5 lbs inc. ballhead
    - sturdy build - aluminum and carbon fiber
    - center column, allowing maximum camera height to be above eye level for me (I'm 6'2")
    - lifetime warranty

Another feature the sales person told me about, especially regarding climate hardiness, is that the Gitzo (at least versus Manfrotto) has rubber locks for each leg section, whereas Manfrotto uses plastic clips (like bicycle quick releases) for each section. If used in cold climes (like Calgary in winter) the plastic has an opportunity to snap or crack if tightened too tight. It would be tougher to do that with rubber.

For lenses such as those you suggest, I would consider a 2541, which is 1 cm. thicker diameter of legs, and can handle bigger lenses. The difference in price is marginal.

Good luck!
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited July 3, 2009
    I moved this to Accessories, just because ... :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Post moved
    Thanks!!

Most appropriate in Accessories!

Sorry I missed that forum, and mis-posted incorrectly.

Thanks for the move!

Happy 4th!
    edited July 3, 2009
    Thanks
    Cdub and Art....

Thanks for your insights and input. clap.gif

I will check out the Gitzo, as this looks like it is exactly what I need.

Appreciate your responses!
  • norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    GIGT0531 1 GT0531 6x CF 3-SEC TRIPOD/RAPID/G-LOCK
    GIG2180 1 FLUID HEAD (SERIES 1)

Got these 2 earlier this year, great gitzo carbon tripod. I like the hook in the center.
    Lets me hang my backpack/camera bag on it for added stability, and easy reach.

The gitzo fluid head was more for the video aspect of my 5dm2.
    The combo is very light, money well spent.thumb.gif
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
    edited July 4, 2009
    Insights appreciated!
    Overall it looks like the Gitzo line is the way to go.

Thanks for your insights and suggestion of the GT0531!
    edited July 4, 2009
    Another Question
    To those who have previously replied with great insights, another question...

Assuming positively that I acquire a Gitzo as suggested, I see some models come without a center column, I suspect reducing the overall weight further.

Regardless, of what final model I purchase, will I still be able to use my current Monfrotto 490RC4 ball mount, (female connection to tripod is 3/8") or would I need to also acquire a new mount and plate, in addition to the tripod?

I like the 490RC4, it has worked very well, at 2.5lbs, a tad bit heavy but, if I can save a few $$$'s and need only to purchase the tripod, using my exisiting mount, it would make cost justification of the purchase easier to handle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.
    edited July 5, 2009
    I'm not an expert, but I assume most ballheads are made to work with most legs... The Gitzo legs I have have a reversible screw on the mount, which will work with both conventional diameters. I personally recommend the center column, because of the versatility - nothing like having to shorten leg segments to achieve the height you're after... And I think the additional weight is modest... Depending on what material you go with obviously.
    CW

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    If you travel a lot, the next time you are in B&H drop by their used section. I bouhgt a NatGeo carbon fiber tripod (It's private labeled, I think it's really a Manfrotto, for $100.

The original cost something like 4 times that. B&H always has a lot of good stuff in its used department, and they also post the stuff on line- so I would go there. Maybe you'll get lucky- there's a lot of junk there, but always, always at least a few diamonds.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited July 5, 2009
    center column
    Good point on the height to leg length, sans center column.

Probably will regret the lack of a center column the first time I truly need it. The current tripod has a center column and I am always adjusting it for proper height, vs shortening or lengthening the legs.

Point well taken!!
    edited July 5, 2009
    B&h
    Thanks for the tip.

I'll check out B&H to see what they have.

It appears that there is a lot of potential and lots of possibilites to select from.. I wish someone would have constructed a simple spreadsheet comparison chart matching up most common standard features with options and brands, along with typical usage.

Or how about a simple flowchart. You know...If your are shooting with a "xyz" type camera, with a "abc" size lens, go to brand "x", if you have "model y" camera, with "xxMM" lens, go to brand "t". Each brand then would have a decision tree with appropriate options.

Whew, gotta get out of the office more.

Thanks for your input/insights, sorry for the IT ramblings above.
    edited July 7, 2009
    I feel your pain man. I'm doubly cursed- I am both cheap and a photography addict who loves accessories. It's a difficult combination.

The most important non-photographic things that I have learned about photography are as follows:

1- Beyond a body and a lens there are, with a few notable exceptions, almost no gadgets out there that are absolutely necessary. Even a zoom lens isn't necessary, you can always use your feet, or find some other workaround for just about everything. Unfortunately for you, the tripod is one of those exceptions. Anyone with aspirations beyond just screwing around absolutely, but absolutely needs a tripod.

2- It is always more expensive to buy something twice than it is to buy it once- so get what you need and pay the necessary price to get it. This doesn't mean you can't comparison shop or bargain hunt (viz. my buying a $450 tripod for $100), nor does it mean that you should get the most expensive thing out there. People that do that shoot strictly Leicas, hang out on photo.net, and aren't missed over here. But get what you need- if you save some bucks on a tripod without a center column, you'll just buy one with a center column one year from now, and you'll have two expensive tripods to serve one camera. In order to justify the existence of your extra tripod and avoid admitting that you screwed yourself, you'll end up buying some remote flash trigger system. You see? You see how the madness begins?)

Regardless, It makes no sense to mount your flash on a carbon fiber tripod, just because it's gathering dust. That's what God made Sunpak for. I know, you are snortling and gainsaying me right now. I did the same thing when my photography Guru told me this. But the sunpak is $25! Seriously, $500 for a platform? He only has, like, 5 acesseries and he spent $5000 on them. (note that with his 5 accesories, he sells mad copious amounts of photos.)

Well, I bought the Sunpak. Then I bought a Sanford and Davis. Then I bought the NatGeo. I screwed myself, twice. Now I have more peglegs than a Pirate convention. Learn from my expensive experience-- If I had started with the NatGeo, I would already have my lumiquest 80-20 bounce system, rahter than be saving for it. Believe me when I dogmatize about point #2. Verily, I say unto thee, buy quality and sacrifice regularly upon the altaer of B&H, or surely the gods of photography shall smite thy trigger finger and wither thy bank account. So don't dither on the center column. Get one with a hook, even. You can hang a milk jug there. I don't know why you would, but you can.

#3- I forgot. I think it's been subsumed in point #2. Go back, read point #2, believe it, do it, and send me $50 because following my advice will save you far more than that.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    if you buy a tripod that actually fits you then there is not need for a center column....once yu raise the center column you loose stability.....as each inch up the column goes you loose a lot of stability. If you are dead set on a center column then get a tripod with a shorty (3-8 inch) center column......personally I would be more concerned about how flexable my pod legs are....can you raise each one to a different angle for shooting on un even hillsides.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 7, 2009
    Sage advice oh Justiceiro bowdown.gif

Taken to heart shall I and as the non-photographic saying goes....

measure twice..cut once!

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but when I do all advice provided herein will certainly be taken into consideration. Had I only received this input/advice from everyone before I bought my current pod.

Thanks again!
    edited July 7, 2009
    Art

Good point thumb.gif as I have seen this occur with my current pod, and its center column.

Another good piece of advice to consider before releasing the Visa.

Thanks!
  • PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Both my husband and I have Gitzo tripods. Mine is much shorter than his (but it's perfect for me because I'm short!). Mine is the GT0531 with the G1178M ballhead. His is the GT1541 with GH1780QR ball head. Both are the Carbon Fiber 6X and honestly, they are so light I hardly notice the weight!

Right now I think Gitzo is offering a rebate (up to 100 off if you buy both tripod and head...and I think 50 off the tripods alone).

Before we decided on one for my husband, we bought two and had them shipped so he could test the height and weight with the rest of his gear. B & H was happy to take back the one we didn't want.

Good luck!

Robyn
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

edited July 8, 2009
    A center column is more important than just to get your camera to eye level... I find mine important for photographic perspective and angles... When shooting still life, sometimes you want to come in from a higher angle. Happens all the time.

And I think (don't quote me) all Gitzos come with hooks for adding weight.
    CW

• 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    if you buy a tripod that actually fits you then there is not need for a center column....once yu raise the center column you loose stability.....as each inch up the column goes you loose a lot of stability. If you are dead set on a center column then get a tripod with a shorty (3-8 inch) center column......personally I would be more concerned about how flexable my pod legs are....can you raise each one to a different angle for shooting on un even hillsides.........
    Can I get an amen!?
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    I don't think you can really compare a center column tripod to one without. They're different tools for different purposes. In a studio or for macro, you probably want a center column. For shooting wildlife with long lenses for example, you don't want a center column. So... one has to do some soul searching and decide ultimately where their interests lie. If they lie in both directions, then two tripods are probably in your future.
    edited July 9, 2009
    or why not get one with a center column and then when you are shooting wildlife with long lenses, you commit to not raising it? Seems like overkill to suggest that because something has a feature, you are condemned to using it. Unless I am entirely missing the point.
    ne_nau.gif
    CW

edited July 9, 2009
    Two reasons: 1) Center column tripods generally have shorter legs, so it's not convenient to shoot them with the center column down. Tripods without center columns are available in extended length, so you don't miss the extra reach that a center column would normally give you. 2) Even with the center column fully down, you still have extra parts in between the head and the legs. Extra stuff means more places to induce play in the mechanisms and more parts which can flex.
    edited July 10, 2009
    Great Stuff!!
    Great Stuff everyone!!!clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for ALL the insights and perspectives.

Lots of information to consider.

I appreciate everyone taking time to provide their input and as a result, assisting me in gathering further data on selecting an appropriate pod, making a better, informed purchase decision. :D
    edited July 11, 2009
    20DNoob wrote:
    Can I get an amen!?

NO YOU MAY NOT!

Detachable center columns are great. This is a fact, known by all.

You can hang your camera off of them in bizarre ways, which may occasionally be useful. Anyway, my tripod comes just about up to my eyeballs (without extending the center coolumn), and I'm 6'3. I don't think you need much higher than that. But a minor adjustment (1cm or so) is easy to make without futzing with the legs and, perhaps, losing the light in the process.
    edited July 11, 2009
    A tripod with a center column is not the end-all, be-all tripod for all occasions, and certainly not for serious wildlife use. Any time you design something that attempts to do everything, compromises are made. For example, what's the weight rating on your tripod, Justiceiro? The better tripods without center columns are typically rated around 40 lbs or more. The heavier rating also means greater stability across the board, even if you're not using camera/lens combinations that heavy.

Serious nature photographers do not use tripods with center columns. See for yourself.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/gitzo3540xls.html
    http://www.birdsasart.com/faq_tripod.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/icons/travelstotheedge/behindthescenes/default.mspx

My own criteria for a tripod was as follows.

1) Buy it once. I wanted a tripod that I never have to upgrade.

2) Sturdy enough to hold securely any wildlife lens I will ever buy including 500mm, and 600mm lenses. (see item 1 above)

3) Works excellent for landscape as well.

4) Lightweight

Based on those criteria, a tripod without a center column was the best choice for me and still is. Why add the extra weight, expense, and extra complexity of a center column if you're not going to use it? ne_nau.gif

I also disagree with the contention that by the time you adjust the height on a tripod without a center column your light is gone. I can adjust the height on my Series 6 Gitzo in six seconds. Now, let's talk about what happens when you want to shoot your camera at ground level. I can splay the legs on my tripod and lay it out flat in seconds. You have to remove your center column to do that which takes much longer. Using your argument, your bird is gone. :giggle (That's presuming your tripod can do that btw. ) Simply put, a center column is a liability in wildlife photography.

Now for general purpose around town kind of photography then a removable center column tripod might be just what the doctor ordered. However, for an uncompromising wildlife setup, it's not the best choice.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    NO YOU MAY NOT!

Detachable center columns are great. This is a fact, known by all.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, my life is now complete with this knowledge. rolleyes1.gif
    Justiceiro wrote:
    You can hang your camera off of them in bizarre ways, which may occasionally be useful.
    Maybe if you've got something like the Manfrotto 458B and are chasing bugs about all day, but it doesn't hold squat as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise I can hang my camera in all sorts of the same "bizarre ways" as the BH will let me with or without the center column. *gasp*
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Anyway, my tripod comes just about up to my eyeballs (without extending the center coolumn), and I'm 6'3. I don't think you need much higher than that. But a minor adjustment (1cm or so) is easy to make without futzing with the legs and, perhaps, losing the light in the process.
    See, you've got a center column and you still have to futz about with the legs to get it down to the proper height.

Again,
    Art Scott wrote:
    if you buy a tripod that actually fits you then there is not need for a center column
    Providing your not a macro shooter that benifits from a wonky center column like the 458B has.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Two reasons: 1) Center column tripods generally have shorter legs, so it's not convenient to shoot them with the center column down. Tripods without center columns are available in extended length, so you don't miss the extra reach that a center column would normally give you. 2) Even with the center column fully down, you still have extra parts in between the head and the legs. Extra stuff means more places to induce play in the mechanisms and more parts which can flex.

15524779-Ti.gif

I have a gitzo with a center column, and plan on replacing it with one that doen't have one. (as soon as I wear the current one out)

Apart from simply being more stable for longer lenes you can also get lower to the ground with a tripod that does not have a center column.

If you are looking at Gitzo's you might also want to look at Induro's line of tripods.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member