Options

Question on Canon 5d MarkII Battery Grip(Moved to "Accessories')

elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
edited July 12, 2009 in Accessories
I am about to purchase a Battery Grip + (1) Additional battery - However my question is do I need 2 add'ntl battery or just (1)? :scratch

Thanks so much

Comments

• Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I'm not sure how many batteries the grip takes, as I opted to not use the grip (didn't want the extra weight on my bracket). However, you should ALWAYS have a couple extra batteries charged up and ready to go, even with a grip. I have 4 batteries for EACH of my cameras, though I typically only use 2. Better to be safe than sorry. (Especially if you are shooting HD with the 5D2. I find that drains my battery faster than I can bat an eye at.)
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    I'm not sure how many batteries the grip takes, as I opted to not use the grip (didn't want the extra weight on my bracket). However, you should ALWAYS have a couple extra batteries charged up and ready to go, even with a grip. I have 4 batteries for EACH of my cameras, though I typically only use 2. Better to be safe than sorry. (Especially if you are shooting HD with the 5D2. I find that drains my battery faster than I can bat an eye at.)

Good point.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I am about to purchase a Battery Grip + (1) Additional battery - However my question is do I need 2 add'ntl battery or just (1)? headscratch.gif

Thanks so much

Assuming we are using this for weddings...

I 'd carry AT LEAST enough batteies to have three sets. The grip may take a couple batteriesat a time......for a total of 6. Do you know how many it holds?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Elizabeth,

I moved the thead to accessories in the hopes that someone there will be familar with the grip.thumb.gif

Is it the Canon brand grip or third party?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Canon grip - Thanks Jeff I ended up buying 2 plus the one I already have..
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 12, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Assuming we are using this for weddings...

I 'd carry AT LEAST enough batteies to have three sets. The grip may take a couple batteriesat a time......for a total of 6. Do you know how many it holds?

At $83( on Amazon ) - $100 bucks a piece, that gets expensive real quick.

Most of Canon's battery grips will work fine with only one battery, but two will last a lot longer of course.

I suspect three will be enough unless you are planning to shoot a lot of frames and a lot of video.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin