Options

Pictures will not upload??

BrewmasterBrewmaster Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I have uploaded photos flawlessly many thousands of times without issues. Now, I have a gallery from a recent camping trip that I tried to upload about 60 pictures too, but 4 of them will not upload. I have even deleted the .jpg files, and created new ones from the .dng's, but they still will not upload. Any suggestions???

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Your upload log tells the answer
    http://www.smugmug.com/homepage/uploadlog.mg
    they are too-large, resize them under 12mb and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Your upload log tells the answer
    http://www.smugmug.com/homepage/uploadlog.mg
    they are too-large, resize them under 12mb and you'll be fine.

Ok, I'm not sure why I thought there wasn't a limit on filesize. Do you see that limit going up as sensors get larger and these files tend to get bigger?
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    Brewmaster wrote:
    Ok, I'm not sure why I thought there wasn't a limit on filesize. Do you see that limit going up as sensors get larger and these files tend to get bigger?
    we have already moved them from 8 to 12 for standard and power. And from 12 to 24 for pros.

I shoot with 1Ds Mark III and Canon 5D Mark II and both give me files under 12mb. If you're getting files over, 12mb, I'd love to know how - exact details and workflow, please?

Thanks!
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Hit it a bunch today
    Andy wrote:
    we have already moved them from 8 to 12 for standard and power. And from 12 to 24 for pros.

I shoot with 1Ds Mark III and Canon 5D Mark II and both give me files under 12mb. If you're getting files over, 12mb, I'd love to know how - exact details and workflow, please?

Thanks!

Actually this note is very timely. I finally post processed a bunch of vacation pictures, and about every other one would not upload.

Previously (talking years) in a few hundred uploaded shots I would get one or two that hit the 12 meg limit, I started getting them every other shot today. I did a straight JPG export thinking it was the LR pluging, and found some as high as 19 meg.

I did nothing scientific, but I found it was happening most often when there was a lot of detail background - trees with leaves, texture in furniture or walls, etc. I also found that noise appeared to be a big contributor; I had a series of shots where (blush) I had left ISO at 1000 that had a fair amount of noise, and those seemed among the worst offenders. I'd have a basic background and see 8 meg with the same settings.

These were straight NEF's exported with LR after in-place editing (i.e. not editing in photoshop or resizing externally or anything similar).

Here is an example shot:

http://captivephotons.com/photos/590041355_vTTev-O.jpg

That's the original, which as loaded is a 90 quality image. At 100 it is 12.9meg, at 90 it is 7.7 meg. It's a D300 image, 1000 iso (again, embarassed at that), nothing special, relatively plain background but a bit of noise and detail in the seat and shirt and face.

I have no reason to think 90 is not adequate. I'm not complaining, but wanted to provide an example.

And ask a question:

When does it become relevant to use 100 vs. 90 quality? Any general guidence, like un-noticable below 8x12? 16x14? 4x6? eek7.gif

It's unfortunate that nice tools, like the LR uploader plugin, won't permit you to say "resize to be 12meg". I've read (and in fact there is a non-working feature of that plugin that purports) that Smugmug will let you upload anyway, and then resize. I have yet to observe that. If it is so, HOW does it resize? Does it resize to 12Meg (or whatever your quota is), or does it drop the original and keep X3?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    You can use 90 all the time - nobody would ever tell the difference in any print size we sell.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Thanks!

Well, my workflow is fairly simple. I shoot in RAW (.dng) exclusively, and use CS4 to produce the .jpg files. Usually all I need to do is a fairly minor curves adjustment, some sharpening in LAB mode, convert to srgb color profile, convert to 8 bit, and then save as an optimized .jpg at highest quality. I very rarely crop any of my photo's and as there is more detail in the photo, the sizes seem to go up quite a bit. This is actually the first time that I had anything go beyond 12M, and I suspect that the level of detail had allot to do with it. One thing I forgot to check, and might be the root cause, was how large the photo started out in RAW. Every once in a while I move to a larger overall size, and I may have done that here accidentally.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Brewmaster wrote:
    save as an optimized .jpg at highest quality.

use 10 (or 11 if you must) (not 12). You'll never ever be able to see the difference, on screen or in-print.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    use 10 (or 11 if you must) (not 12). You'll never ever be able to see the difference, on screen or in-print.

I know....and I should.........and I probably will IF I run into trouble again.