Options

safe places to shoot from

dizavedizave Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited May 2, 2004 in The Big Picture
I was wandering Providence trying to come up with something worth posting in the latest photo assignment today. Minding my own business sitting on part of a bridge trying to line up a photo when I hear a little "click". Another guy with a DSLR just caught me in the act.

We both were going on the opposite sides of the river after that, and I caught this after I watched him climb over the fence to stand on about a 6 inch ledge to get a shot of some ducks. It isn't as bad as the Cuyahoga, but I don't think I'd like to fall in this river:

photoguy2.sized.jpg

So, what is the least safe place you've ever shot from?

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    You would have had a great shot if he fell. 11doh.gif

One of the I-95 overpasses in JAX, before they were enlarged, to set up a 4x5 to shoot a building. Awful fun with cars wizzing by at 65mph.

On the inside of a 1/3 mile race track, photographing late model auto racing with no wall to hide behind, to be a teenager again.

These days I will usually let the camera be in the precarious situation and leave me on safer ground.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    A grocery store parking lot.

While working for the MU student newspaper, I took pictures at a standoff between two prision escapees and police. One of the officers saw me reaching into my camera bag and thought I was getting a weapon. He turned toward me and started to raise his shotgun to his sholder. Luckily I didn't see this, I was looking in my bag, otherwise I probably would have soiled myself. My "friend" from the paper told me what had happened afterward. I put "friend" in quotes since when it happened, the only thing he did was take a big step away from me.

So I almost got shot... I did get a great picture that ran on the front page of the paper, and the same shot later won Picture of the Year from the Missouri College Newspaper Association.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    So, what is the least safe place you've ever shot from?[/QUOTE]
    Here is one. It's an old photo of poor quality but does let you know where it was taken from. :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    Nothing to match you guys. Just shooting on the streets of downtown, especially after dark, I get accosted by street guys trying to hustle a buck. I put on my best "I'm really mean and dangerous" look. So far everyone's had the good manners not to laugh when I do that.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I put on my best "I'm really mean and dangerous" look.

This one??

attachment.php?attachmentid=768&stc=1
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2004
    FLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    FLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifFLIPA.gifrolleyes1.gif

Must resist urge to release kryptonite, superman must pay for his actions. umph.gifrolleyes1.gif

????
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2004
    Do you feel lucky? Well, do you punk? :hang
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Do you feel lucky? Well, do you punk? :hang

RU?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    patch29 wrote:

Nah, I'm checking her out.

taxi9.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    Baldy Chutes, Alta UT
    I skied Main Chute on Feb 15 this year. I don't think these pictures really get across how steep this is, but I'm a good skier and it's sort of on the edge of what I will do. (Actually, climbing up there is the thing that scares me most; I don't like to climb over steep rocks in my ski boots. I'd say my feelings about that are near phobic.)

Anyway, here is one looking down into the chute from the top. If you know Alta, the shot is looking across Gremania basin down on the High Traverse.

3864056-L.jpg

Looking back up from about 1/3 down. I messed around a lot in photoshop in order to recover the details in the snow. I don't really like the effect, but it better captures the steepness. It would have helped to have had someone in the picture to give it some scale.

3864082-L.jpg

Here is a shot from an earlier trip to Baldy Chutes, in 2001. This time we are looking down Dog Chute.

1664110-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2004
    You're right, having a person in the shot gives both a sense of scale and of steepness.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    dizave wrote:

So, what is the least safe place you've ever shot from?
    1. In a GF's bedroom while her father was downstairs cleaning his guns...

(pic not included Pissed.gif )

2. sitting on a 33d floor railing.

3. Most dangerous attempt to get a picture was going to Tintagel (google it) in greater than 70 mile an hour winds a couple of hundred meters up a cliff face with a mixture of driving rain and salt spray made everything slippery and the wind was lifting my entire body up so that I had to use both hands to hold on to the slippery rockface.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    mutineermutineer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2004
    safest place to shoot from huh?

um, not from here?
  • Options
    dizavedizave Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2004
    mutineer wrote:
    safest place to shoot from huh?

um, not from here?
    Hah! I know you didn't take that shot. Unless you used the timer.
  • Options
    mutineermutineer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2004
    my little brother took it, I took this one of him http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1189scroll down for the shot.

If you look close you can see that there is no shell in the gun, you can see the action.