Options

Sigma 70-200mm 2.8- Any Good?

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited July 16, 2009 in Cameras
So, I figure, why not save a few hundred bucks and go off brand.

But I hear the version II has pretty bad CA, and is a tad soft at both ends when wide open... Any truth to this?

I sure would love to get the Canon one, but its just a tad too expensive at the moment, and I could really use a lens of this range and speed right now.

Questions:
1. Is it comparable to the canon non IS version (probably not)
2. Is it as tack sharp as the canon version (probably not)
3. Does this lens create a nice Bokeh?

At my work we have the f/4 non IS... (I work at a canon dealer :D).. and I absolutely love it! But I really need the 2.8...
Jer

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited July 16, 2009
    Hi Jeremy,

I tried a couple copies of the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 HSM (before the current "Macro" version). I wound up with the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS) and I am very happy with it. I suggest you save for it.

If AF speed is not so important then I suggest the Tamron 70-200mm, f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro as sharper than the Sigma when used wide open.

More threads:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24116&page=5
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94524
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I have the older version, pre- EX,DG,Macro and I love it...works great on my Konica Minolta 7D (which it will be attached to when the cam goes up for sale)....of course the 7D ahd built in IS in the bod........I have not had any bad lenses from Sigma.....never had to return one because it was sharp at one end or the other.....maybe I am just lucky........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Jeremy,

I tried a couple copies of the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 HSM (before the current "Macro" version). I wound up with the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS) and I am very happy with it. I suggest you save for it.

If AF speed is not so important then I suggest the Tamron 70-200mm, f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro as sharper than the Sigma when used wide open.

More threads:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24116&page=5
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94524

Its not a matter of saving for it... Its more or less - Spending the money thats there or putting it towards some alien bees. :D
    Jer
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    So, I figure, why not save a few hundred bucks and go off brand.

But I hear the version II has pretty bad CA, and is a tad soft at both ends when wide open... Any truth to this?

I sure would love to get the Canon one, but its just a tad too expensive at the moment, and I could really use a lens of this range and speed right now.

Questions:
    1. Is it comparable to the canon non IS version (probably not)
    2. Is it as tack sharp as the canon version (probably not)
    3. Does this lens create a nice Bokeh?

At my work we have the f/4 non IS... (I work at a canon dealer :D).. and I absolutely love it! But I really need the 2.8...

1. No it is not
    2. No it is not
    3. No not as nice.
    4. It's a Sigma to be mounted on a Canon body which means there's a 99% chance you'll have to send it to Sigma multiple times and it still won't be as good as the Canon.

Gene
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    kini62 wrote:
    1. No it is not
    2. No it is not
    3. No not as nice.
    4. It's a Sigma to be mounted on a Canon body which means there's a 99% chance you'll have to send it to Sigma multiple times and it still won't be as good as the Canon.

Gene
    Thanks... thats what I figured... After viewing Ziggy's experience, and also the other reviews I've read, I've concluded that the Sigma 70-200 2.8 isn't the greatest. So, I will be purchasing a Canon 70-200 2.8 sometime... hopefully soon!
    Jer
  • Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I can only comment on my own experience, which has been very good. Used it with both a 20D and 50D - it's been tack sharp from end to end, very fast to focus, and totally reliable (going on about 4 years now).

If you were planning on purchasing somewhere local, can you bring your own body and card to the store and try it out? Take the card home, review the images and then decide.
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Trasmc wrote:
    I can only comment on my own experience, which has been very good. Used it with both a 20D and 50D - it's been tack sharp from end to end, very fast to focus, and totally reliable (going on about 4 years now).

If you were planning on purchasing somewhere local, can you bring your own body and card to the store and try it out? Take the card home, review the images and then decide.
    Unfortunately no... It would be purchased from Adorama ne_nau.gif

But, is yours the newer w/ Macro? I think that came out in 2007... so probably not...
    Jer