Options

Advice, help asking

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
I have not submitted anything to KPOTD since the first of the year, or shortly after. I am thinking of submitting this one. Thought about it when I took it, then put it off, it was last Saturday. Thought of it this AM, thought I should get on with it. But since my record is Zip, so far...........I am asking for comments, suggestions. Not a lot of work, either it is a go, or it isn't. I would crop, but not change colors or anything. No, I would not use the white line one. I would send the original, is that wrong? I mean size wise.

I would like to get a handle on what I should at least be thinking of when I submit. I thought this was as good a photo as I could come up with. (Except the camera might be the wrong brand, can't tell on that........? Film is not an issue)

g thanks, if you all would, please........... (the lashes and stuff are sharp, the hands and camera, I can't vouch for, but not terribly off, or OOF?)
23679747-L.jpg

NEVERMIND!:splat

I ignored all the non comments and entered the damn thing.

If they accept it, I am probably up the creek, what can they do?
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    digitaldandigitaldan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    It looks great. Don't go away mad!

NEVERMIND!:splat

I ignored all the non comments and entered the damn thing.

If they accept it, I am probably up the creek, what can they do?[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Hi Ginger
    I didn't comment because I've only once entered it and didn't get selected. What I did see in the other winners is that color seems to dominate their shots. And I mean bright colors. I haven't looked at them all, but what ones I pulled up were very bright.
    I'm not thinking your comp is a problem, it just lacks the color brightness that I've seen in other winners. But that is no reason why not to enter it. You are no worse off by entering it so I'd enter as many as you can and want to :D. Just MHO,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Ginger
    First I like the shot
    The only thing I can think of is maybe crop more of the sky out ne_nau.gif
    I like the concept thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Ginger, my advice is to stop submitting photos to POTD, challenges, and contests. It's obviously causing you anguish. And to be honest, it's just not worth it.

Shoot for pleasure, and share your photos in the same frame of mind. Stop asking for critiques, comments, and advice. Start exploring what you want to do, what your imagination dictates, and where your growth takes you. Not where others think you should be.

Be the artist Ginger.

Take risks artistically, accept that some people will not like your work, and some will, and that you will never get everyone to like your work, so you might as well do what brings you satisfaction rather than them.

Only then will you start producing work that is inspired and inspires. Right now it sounds like you are not much more than a photographic order taker, and that inspires no one.

So again, I say, be the artist, make your own decisions, create and display your own work, and then let it stand as is.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Ginger, my advice is to stop submitting photos to POTD, challenges, and contests. It's obviously causing you anguish. And to be honest, it's just not worth it.

Shoot for pleasure, and share your photos in the same frame of mind. Stop asking for critiques, comments, and advice. Start exploring what you want to do, what your imagination dictates, and where your growth takes you. Not where others think you should be.

Be the artist Ginger.

Take risks artistically, accept that some people will not like your work, and some will, and that you will never get everyone to like your work, so you might as well do what brings you satisfaction rather than them.

Only then will you start producing work that is inspired and inspires. Right now it sounds like you are not much more than a photographic order taker, and that inspires no one.

So again, I say, be the artist, make your own decisions, create and display your own work, and then let it stand as is.

Good words Shay, and I agree. Ginger, just have fun.:):

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005

Phew, finally some one comes out and speaks thumb.gif. Not an easy thing to say. I've said this a few times to others when asked certain things. Shay has put it much better than I ever could mwink.gif . Its not something I've ever done Ginger. I know a lot that enter different competitions, but thats slightly different to POTD's...........IMHO.

You would be much better off taking what you like the most and having them in a stock portfolio somewhere. That way you could make some money out of it if it works out for you. No guarantee's though for sure, but it gives you something tangible to aim for. You would be surprised at what sells and what dosen't.

All the best Ginger.

Danny.