Options

Dual Camera Strap... Cool!

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited July 17, 2009 in Accessories
I saw pictures that Nikolai took of a photographer recently, and noticed he had a strange camera strap on... I think I found it! Any of you use one of these or something similar? Looks interesting, but For $120 I'll hold off for now.

Camera Slingers Dual Deluxe Camera Strap
Jer

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    cool maybe.....outrageously priced.....most definitelyeek7.gifhuh
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    cool maybe.....outrageously priced.....most definitelyeek7.gifhuh
    yes, but if you put it in the aspect of, if you charge $1000+ for a wedding, you use two bodies (one with telephoto the other with wide angle)... it will pay off itself pretty fast.

A. less strain on your neck
    B. More comfortable than having two straps around your neck
    C. Fewer trips to the Chiropractor :D

I'm sure there are cheaper versions out on the web... I just came across this while searching for stuff on Adorama.
    Jer
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    yes, but if you put it in the aspect of, if you charge $1000+ for a wedding, you use two bodies (one with telephoto the other with wide angle)... it will pay off itself pretty fast.

A. less strain on your neck
    B. More comfortable than having two straps around your neck
    C. Fewer trips to the Chiropractor :D

I'm sure there are cheaper versions out on the web... I just came across this while searching for stuff on Adorama.

The camera is hanging by the tripod mount. Are you going to trust a clip on the tripod mount to hold your investment???

Try UPstrap. I shot all my weddings with two bodies. One on each shoulder.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    The camera is hanging by the tripod mount. Are you going to trust a clip on the tripod mount to hold your investment???

Try UPstrap. I shot all my weddings with two bodies. One on each shoulder.
    well, you trust tripod mounts when using them on tripods right? Why not on a strap? But yes I get your point!

hmm... cool. Will look into that... I'm not looking for a strap to do this, just thought the dual camera strap idea was kinda cool.
    Jer
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,870 moderator
    edited July 17, 2009
    Op-Tech is introducing a product that appears to cost about 1/3rd the cost of the Camera Slingers product and the Op-Tech system converts to a single camera system. The Op-Tech unit also attaches to the normal strap lugs which I trust more to carry the weight and it leaves the tripod mount available for either a flash bracket or tripod plate.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=87
    http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html?searchinfo=dual+camera+strap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    After seeing that strap, why did a picture of Clint Eastwood flash in my mind. :D
    http://thevideovixen.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/outlaw_josey_wales.299175927_std.jpg

That would help keep me from banging 2 bodies around on the sideline with I'm shooting the third body on the 400 f2.8. Im going to have to look into that one. My rapid straps may get retired.
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    well, you trust tripod mounts when using them on tripods right? Why not on a strap? But yes I get your point!

The camera is hanging UPSIDE DOWN from the tripod mount on this strap.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    The camera is hanging UPSIDE DOWN from the tripod mount on this strap.
    OK Fine, you win... not safe! But I'm sure its tested and has been proven to work perfectly 99.99% of the time.

I like the one ziggy linked to more... I also like the price tag more.. Although the one I posted looks the most like the photog's one that Nikolai observed shoot a wedding.
    Jer
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,756 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I have the Black Rapid Couplerkit on order

http://www.adorama.com/CZSBRCRK.html

Two single Black Rapid RS4 camera straps which can be coupled into a double system.

I had hoped to use it this Saturday at Fairford, UK ( http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow ) but it's not yet delivered. So I'll be using the "Smugmug" camera strap.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    So, you would rather hang your camera from 2 - 1/16" pins instead of a 1/4 bolt?

The shear strength in a 1/4" carbon steel grade 5 bolt is 3600# for a grade 8 it's 4400#.
    I'm guessing the strap will break long before the bolt.
    I suppose the threads could come out, or strip in the bottom of the camera.
    I've never had it happen, but I guess it could.

When using a flash bracket, isn't that held on by the tripod thread, and don't you normally
    carry it around by the handle on the bracket?

As for it hanging upside down, do you think the camera cares about this?

The way this unit hangs the camera is a more natural way to grab and shoot.
    I think it's a great idea, but sadly, way over priced.

Link to fasteners info: LINK
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    We can argue about tensile strengths, shear strengths, etc... of the bolts which are probably grade 3 anyways) but that is likely not the determining factor of overall strength of the connecting mechanism. How the tripod "nut" is installed in the camera is likely far weaker than the bolt. If not the clip would definitely be weaker than the bolt as well.
    But aside from all those arguments and discussions we could have the simple fact that the Black Rapid straps are out there being used and loved by a great number of people speak volumes for the connecting systems.

I have read some reviews for the black rapid straps and am intrigued. Most of the time I have my kids with me and getting the camera out of the way quick to deal with them is important to me.