Options

Best from Wednesday's shoot.

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited July 19, 2009 in People
In my quest for better composition, framing, and improve the overall quality off my work, I shot these with how they felt better. I totally blocked the 'Rule of the thirds' out of my mind and shots these as they felt best.

C & C always welcomed, and please remember to comment about the composition as well.

592836411_dC9Bv-L.jpg

592838097_GCv6U-L.jpg

592838144_NW7qX-L.jpg

592838882_pWNDV-L.jpg

592839215_c8MDU-L.jpg

592839744_E9abv-L.jpg

592840129_7s3Ja-L.jpg

592840309_ok8cr-L.jpg

592840635_xLtUW-L.jpg

592840774_yJDNc-L.jpg

592840885_HkUu2-L.jpg

592841208_KqyM8-L.jpg

592841871_f5Rt3-L.jpg

592842418_7GGzp-L.jpg

592842521_np4iX-L.jpg

592842694_TXJuw-L.jpg

592842894_uPdhC-L.jpg

592843055_xWyNA-L.jpg

592843531_M7RWf-L.jpg

#20 Possible DSS 29, Maneater
592844538_utusp-L.jpg

592845237_miGKH-L.jpg

592845658_DPSfF-L.jpg

592845831_GRZZJ-L.jpg

Sorry for so many photos. Thanks for looking, let's discuss...
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    592840885_HkUu2-L.jpg

To many to comment on (time restraints) BUT,,,,, I know that this is my fave. clap.gif

I'll come back later and converse, more.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    592840635_xLtUW-L.jpg

It's a tie....... They both "feel" really, really,,,, good!
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Great lighting in all of them, what did you use?
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    I like #9 #11 and #20 but thats just my look of things.. Great work.
  • Options
    J0NJ0N Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    Nice set. 9 & 20, (although I would clone out the sign in 9 :D ). are the money ones. Very nicely done.
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    20, 15 and 9 my faves in order. All are very nice though. Great lighting/processing.

Gene
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    mpaulie wrote:
    Great lighting in all of them, what did you use?

Thanks all for the comments. The lighitng was just your typical SB in a shoot through umbrella. I'm telling you, loving the shoot through more an more as I use it.

In regards to #9, I think the sign sells her expression. Even though the person who wrote it, could have used a better choice of words. LoL.

The hardest thing for me, durring this shoot, was exposing properly for the model's face and not blowing out the white t shirt. Sandy has a similar problem when she shot her daughter in a white prom dress. To properly expose her face, she had to blow out the dress. After much thinking, I came up with a solution that might work for a bunch of us.

Scott once said, and proven by experiment: Your shutter speed doesn't matter when using flash. Shutter speed controls the ambient light contribution, and aperture controls your flash contribution. @ f5.6 a flash with a GN of 90, will expose properly from about 6 feet. If you need more light, we can adjust by moving the light closer, or raise the aperture. The distance can be calculated by the invers square law.

The fix, is to snoot the flash just so that you light the face, and expose your shot for the bright white item. I'm going to do a few experiment shots to illustrate the point right now. I'll post them in this thread.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    LOVE 10 and 11 - the catchlights in 10 are to die for, and 11 is plain lovely. I also like 6, despite it being a "nose shot" - it just works.

BG on 19 is messy to me - I like the urban look of the others, but with the cars AND truck AND scaffolding AND cone... I'm noticing those before your I even see your pretty model's there.

Great job, Frank - these are some of the best urban portraits you've posted, I think! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    LOVE 10 and 11 - the catchlights in 10 are to die for, and 11 is plain lovely. I also like 6, despite it being a "nose shot" - it just works.

BG on 19 is messy to me - I like the urban look of the others, but with the cars AND truck AND scaffolding AND cone... I'm noticing those before your I even see your pretty model's there.

Great job, Frank - these are some of the best urban portraits you've posted, I think! thumb.gif

Thanks a ton Diva. When I first saw the angle on #19, I imagined a very nice frame around her head with the gate enclosure. I should have made it a head shot. A shalow DOF would have helped me alot. I should have pulled out the 1.8...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    Ok. The light conditions weren't the greatest so I just used flash as the main.

Bare bulb flash, at 1/16th power. F5.6 at 1/500th of a second, flash about 4 feet slight camera left. These are not the most glamours shots of me. LoL. And it was hot.

T shirt blown
    594020421_9AbnH-L.jpg

Goboed
    594020540_GeKvG-L.jpg

Set up shots.

594020392_U3xTZ-L.jpg
    594020448_VRGFn-L.jpg

The SB 800 on camera, is just acting as a commander and is not contributing light to the image.

In theory, do you see how this could work? Exposing for the T shirt with the shutter speed, and using a gobo or snoot to light specific parts of the scene. In this case, the face of the subject. Aperture will control the flash intensity. Anyone care to try and post some experiments?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    #5, is that part of your soft box showing in the top left? :D

You've got some great stuff in there.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    592840885_HkUu2-L.jpg

To many to comment on (time restraints) BUT,,,,, I know that this is my fave. clap.gif

ITA, I think this one stands out as my fav!!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    #5, is that part of your soft box showing in the top left? :D

You've got some great stuff in there.

She wanted them like that. I showed her the cropped versions, and she rejected them. She prefered the shots with the umbrella showing in parts of the frame. Here favorite shot was this one.
    592843982_zWVMX-L.jpg

The framing was nice, but the umbrella is in 1/3 of the frame. LoL. I was going to toss this one. But she wanted it bad.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:

+1 .... me likey-likey iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    JDEORTAJDEORTA Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    She wanted them like that. I showed her the cropped versions, and she rejected them. She prefered the shots with the umbrella showing in parts of the frame. Here favorite shot was this one.
    592843982_zWVMX-L.jpg

The framing was nice, but the umbrella is in 1/3 of the frame. LoL. I was going to toss this one. But she wanted it bad.

I'm with her I think this shot is great, as well as a lot of the first ones you posted. great work.
    Jose D.
    Canon 40D
    EF 28-135 IS USM
    Speedlight 580EX II

www.deortaphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    You know what, the umbrella doesn't really bother me, it's kind of neat to see part of what made that photo...

See...you in a couple of hours!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:

#20 Possible DSS 29, Maneater
    592844538_utusp-L.jpg

Definitely my favorite of the bunch thumb.gif
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    ITA, I think this one stands out as my fav!!

I agree! Some terrific shots Trevlan. I don't think that the top she had on in the first part was very flattering to her. The second series with the tshirt and daisy dukes are spot on! The lighting is terrific! Great job on working the issues out. I'm really working on the lighting as well as it is key to all good shots. Keep up the great work and I'll have to look you up when I visit my NYC office.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    These are great Trevlan! WOW.clap.gif. Your model is very pretty also .
  • Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    592840635_xLtUW-L.jpg

592840774_yJDNc-L.jpg

I'm really curious about the light setup in #9. How strong was the flash?....How much ambient light?.....No reflectors?

In #10 I was wondering if you did anything to the eyes in PP. That is a look I long for in my portraits but have yet to master.

All are masterfully lit shots. Great work.

Wes Mims
    www.clix-photo.com
  • Options
    rickabtrickabt Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    #9 is a classic!
    I also like #20...but not as much as #9. The sign makes it.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    I agree! Some terrific shots Trevlan. I don't think that the top she had on in the first part was very flattering to her. The second series with the tshirt and daisy dukes are spot on! The lighting is terrific! Great job on working the issues out. I'm really working on the lighting as well as it is key to all good shots. Keep up the great work and I'll have to look you up when I visit my NYC office.

I look forward to it Randy. I'm heading to the Smug convention tomorrow. If anyone from here is going, I'll see you then!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    592840635_xLtUW-L.jpg

592840774_yJDNc-L.jpg

I'm really curious about the light setup in #9. How strong was the flash?....How much ambient light?.....No reflectors?

In #10 I was wondering if you did anything to the eyes in PP. That is a look I long for in my portraits but have yet to master.

All are masterfully lit shots. Great work.

Wes Mims
    www.clix-photo.com

Wes, if you refer back to #19, that's what was behind me, the blazing sun at mid day. So the street worked as a track light. In PP, all I do is a midtone dodge at 10 %, don't like them when they look over done. The same can be achieved with a track light behind the camera. You should see what a beauty dish does to the eyes. Wa wa we wah!

In regards to the light and intensity, it was an SB 600 in an umbrella. I like to call the abient and fill flash technique that I use, Flash Sync hour. The time when the background exposes at your flash sync speed. So I expose for the background, and use the flash to illuminate the model. Like we said before, shutter speed has no affect on your flash contribution, aperture controls that. The power of the SB was at 1/4 at about 4-5 feet from the model.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter