Options

Urban Numbers...

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited July 20, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I wanted to share my first attempt at a long-term photography project. I'm calling it Urban Numbers. I began capturing images for the series about 18 months ago and intend to keep adding.
595303558_rprWY-L.jpg

These are scenes you can find all across Beijing and Shanghai, and I am sure other China cities as well. The numbers are quickly spray painted on walls with a short description of the service and a number. Essentially, this is how you would find your local plumber, handyman or other community service. While technically illegal, it is mildly tolerated with the more popular walls regularly spot painted and whitewashed.

Feedback is definitely welcome on all topics: the shots themselves, which gallery format works best, should I make an attempt at a custom format... I personally enjoy looking at them using the slideshow as it feels more like a journey, but I can understand why some people would rather not be Flash-dependent. I've opted for the new Journal format for the time being, although this isn't a text journal and no captions.

Comments

• Options
    junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    urban numbers
    I enjoyed looking at these prosaic scenes of a different type city. It is very different than than the traditional pictures of area landmarks. I think collections of pictures can say things that single pictures have a difficult time doing.

I personally have difficulty seeing good pictures of these types of scenes. So as far as I am concerned kudo's.

Question

It looks like some of the numbers are stamped on or done using a template. Is this what they are doing. Making s template and going through the area spray painting it everywhere??

Jim
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Mods - Please close this thread
    Jim, they are spray painted using a template. It's not graffiti, but it is very much a hit-and-run process. Thanks for your comment.

MODS: I've reposted this in "People" as this is more Street related than "Other Cool Shots". Can you please close this thread?