Options

New to the Biz end of things . . .

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Someone wants permission to use a couple of photos from my website and I honestly don't have the faintest on how to go about it. This person wants to use them on her website about Morgan horses.
Do I request my watermark stay on the photos? Do I charge for the use of them (sell them?) and if so, how much? Gaaa! Help please! I need to give an answer soon.
I would at least want photo credit mentioned, but not sure if I want to "give" them away. What is the typical protocol for this?

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 20, 2009
    watermarks and credit are not realistic. if they agree, you're lucky but expect the opposite.

i purchase photos regularly for use in advertisements and marketing campaigns - I would never incorporate those elements.

take 5 minutes to search out any number of various websites, hotels as an example, and see if you can spot watermarks or credits anywhere. NOT!

as for pricing. since you did not shoot exclusively for this potential client and not allowing them exclusive use (you're not?) and since they are small, lo-res image files, think in the range of $79 - $129 per image.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    watermarks and credit are not realistic. if they agree, you're lucky but expect the opposite.

i purchase photos regularly for use in advertisements and marketing campaigns - I would never incorporate those elements.

take 5 minutes to search out any number of various websites, hotels as an example, and see if you can spot watermarks or credits anywhere. NOT!

as for pricing. since you did not shoot exclusively for this potential client and not allowing them exclusive use (you're not?) and since they are small, lo-res image files, think in the range of $79 - $129 per image.

Small operations are more apt to work with you on credit line (by line) or even a reciprocating link back to your photo site.....than large corporations......

Even tho a lot of corporate users of graphics may not tend to even consider giving credit where credit is due.....
    IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK,,,,,,,,,,politely of course............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Ok, thanks guys. On another note then, if I have my website set up so people can purchase photos from there, who's to keep them from purchasing prints, scanning them and doing what they want with them?? Printing on T-shirts and making a bundle, etc? Should I even HAVE my photos set for sale on my website? Is that just stupid?? Should I only sell photos in private galleries and set the rest NOT for sale? Since I take pictures of horses quite a bit, those are more apt to be used for other purposes, unlike wedding photos or portraits. Clear as mud? Did I mention I was "green?" I've been a hobby photographer for years, but have no experience doing this as a business. I don't want to blow it here. rolleyes1.gif
    Any help/advice is MUCH appreciated, thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    ...who's to keep them from purchasing prints, scanning them and doing what they want with them??...

a little something called the law - specifically copyright infringement.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    OMG, duh!! LMAO! I forgot all about that! It's Monday and I'm fried, can you tell? Thanks again, Angelo. :)
    Angelo wrote:
    a little something called the law - specifically copyright infringement.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Small operations are more apt to work with you on credit line (by line) or even a reciprocating link back to your photo site.....than large corporations......

Even tho a lot of corporate users of graphics may not tend to even consider giving credit where credit is due.....
    IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK,,,,,,,,,,politely of course............

I know that Art. Credit due is PAYMENT for your work. I'd like to see our members focused on making money and thinking beyond tedious issues such as acknowledgments and watermarks.

The flip side of my earlier post is the photographers I buy from don't give a damn about anything except being paid for their work.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    I like to be paid for my work, and I am, but since I'm just getting started, word-of-mouth and free advertising is also important. Sometimes, more important than money in the beginning, yes?
    Carrie

Angelo wrote:
    I know that Art. Credit due is PAYMENT for your work. I'd like to see our members focused on making money and thinking beyond tedious issues such as acknowledgments and watermarks.

The flip side of my earlier post is the photographers I buy from don't give a damn about anything except being paid for their work.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I like to be paid for my work, and I am, but since I'm just getting started, word-of-mouth and free advertising is also important. Sometimes, more important than money in the beginning, yes?
    Carrie

You should read through this thread: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=134080
  • Options
    snaptie2002snaptie2002 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Angelo wrote:

Are you implying that Art is suggesting she take a credit instead of payment? I didn't take it that way.

If photo credit is important to someone it is certainly negotiable. As far as credits being a tedious issue, find a photo in Sports Illustrated or any news paper (other than advertisements) without one. That tells me that lots of mainstream professionals think credits are important.

Marty
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    If photo credit is important to someone it is certainly negotiable.

Yes, as is everything in life...

...find a photo in Sports Illustrated or any news paper (other than advertisements) without one...

We weren't discussing editorial, were we?

Carrie, here's another read for you:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=129612&highlight=stock+photos

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    As part of the negotiations, you can ask for whatever you want and settle for whatever makes the best sense for you.
    Getting credit is nice, and with a small company that is going to use the image on a website you may very well get it. However, I would suggest that you ask for payment with credit and then drop the credit line if needed in the negotiation.
    In the beginning I asked for a lot of credit lines and got most of them believing that it was more important than standing hard for money. The only clients that give me a credit line currently are the non-profits that I donate my time to.
    Angelo gave you a good baseline. A web sized photo will not make for good prints, so you won't have to worry about that. Get everything written up in the contract. How they may use the image, for how long, and specifically what editing (like cropping) that you will or won't allow.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    snaptie2002snaptie2002 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Angelo wrote:

We weren't discussing editorial, were we?

Actually, I was discussing photo credits.

Cygnus........Good idea! Photo credits make a good Red Herring at the negotiation table.

Marty