dgrin and smugmug going down tonight

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited May 3, 2004 in SmugMug Support
We're moving to a new, faster, more secure data center tonight around midnight and we have to take down the site to do it.

It's possible your computer may have trouble finding the new site when we move, although we hope not. You can always email help to get the new IP address if you are affected.

Thanks and sorry for any disruption this may cause you.

All the best,
Baldy

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    Midnight ET, CT, MT, PT or Alaska? :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2004
    Congrats on the move. I work for a Nationwide ISP that provides big bandwidth for low cost. Its always nice to get more/better/faster for your money.

I'm in San Francisco & can lend a hand if you need help. Chances are, I've been to your new colo, and probably even have my equipment there.

Dave
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 1, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    We're moving to a new, faster, more secure data center tonight around midnight and we have to take down the site to do it.

It's possible your computer may have trouble finding the new site when we move, although we hope not. You can always email help to get the new IP address if you are affected.

Thanks and sorry for any disruption this may cause you.

All the best,
    Baldy
    Thanks Baldy! At least I'll get my rest this evening :)

Oh, and good luck with the move (BTDT, DIA!).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2004
    How did the overall move go? Thanks for the hard work.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 2, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    How did the overall move go? Thanks for the hard work.
    Well, I think. We're still looking for possible problems but I think we've got it. It took from 11-6:30 and the only real problem was they reversed the polarity of the power in one cage so they had to call the electrician and get him out of bed.

This should give us more reliably fast network connectivity than we had before and as we do some of the good stuff we can do with our expensive new router, it should get even better.
    edited May 2, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm in San Francisco & can lend a hand if you need help. QUOTE]Thanks, Dave! Turns out we had a lot of bodies.

Man, the photos in your galleries are beautiful.

2744876-M.jpg
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2004
    I'm glad to hear everything went well last night. A big move has the potential for disaster.

Thanks for taking a look at my galleries! That picture has to be one of my favorites.

Dave
  • shecodesshecodes Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Well, I think. We're still looking for possible problems but I think we've got it. It took from 11-6:30 and the only real problem was they reversed the polarity of the power in one cage so they had to call the electrician and get him out of bed.

This should give us more reliably fast network connectivity than we had before and as we do some of the good stuff we can do with our expensive new router, it should get even better.
    One problem I've seen is that I can't email my pictures in like I could before.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    Intermittent service
    shecodes wrote:
    One problem I've seen is that I can't email my pictures in like I could before.
    My access to smugmug and to dgrin has been very intermittent (mostly no access) since about 8pm EST last night. Just thought you might want to know.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    nod.gif I think for everyone. Might take a day or two to steady down.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 3, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    My access to smugmug and to dgrin has been very intermittent (mostly no access) since about 8pm EST last night.
    We're very sorry about that. There seems to be an intermittent and very hard-to-track-down routing problem that uunet thinks is on their side and they believe they've fixed. We're monitoring it closely.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    Thanks for the update
    Baldy wrote:
    We're very sorry about that. There seems to be an intermittent and very hard-to-track-down routing problem that uunet thinks is on their side and they believe they've fixed. We're monitoring it closely.
    Thanks for the update. I sure I am speaking for everyone when I say how much I appreciate the "personal" attention I get from everyone involved with smugmug.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    Just FYI, here in Miami, smugmug speed has increased greatly. It used to take longer to pull up my smugmug account but now it's flying. Thanks a mil for keepin' us updated and improving the site.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

edited May 3, 2004
    Just FYI, here in Miami, smugmug speed has increased greatly. It used to take longer to pull up my smugmug account but now it's flying. Thanks a mil for keepin' us updated and improving the site.
    It's amazing how much feedback we're getting about this. I wish we'd had the network we have now long ago, but better late than never.