Options

Canon 40D shutting down

ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited August 5, 2009 in Cameras
I have a Canon 40D.
It started out that every once in a while the camera would shut down when I took a photo.
I could power it down and back on and it would be OK for a few photos then it would happen again.

Now it doesn't even power up.

I have new batteries, all of the little door switches "look" ok without disassembling the camera.

Has anyone had this problem or know what is causing it?

HELP......

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    I would suspect the battery charger first. I had something similar happen and the charger would show it was charging when, in fact, the batteries were not being charged.

If you can find someone nearby with another charger I would try that first. Likewise, if you could borrow another person's fully charged battery to confirm.

Also clean the internal battery contacts in the camera. If you are using a vertical grip, remove it for testing.

If all that doesn't help then the camera may need servicing.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    I have 3 batteries and 2 chargers, but I will check them again. I've seen stranger things happen and I should know to never assume anything.

I'll chck the batteries with a volt meter. And I have the battery grip with the battery adapter for AA alkaline bateries I can try....

• Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    All batteries are charged and show good voltage on my meter.
    The camera is still not powering up.

Guess I need to find a service center.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    I'm afraid i agree. At least you did what you could to diagnose the problem. Thanks for getting back to us with your results.

Good luck,
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    I've heard that the canon service center is high $$$...

My camera is out of warranty so should I look for a service center more local or should I keep pay the extra $ and have it "factory serviced"?

• Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    If the camera is out of warranty (likely) then it's your call. If you have an extended warranty then you need to go with the service provider of that warranty. If you have a local repair shop that you trust, then you might decide they are worthy of your camera.

Canon certified repair centers will always have an advantage in that they can gets parts at a priority over the smaller independent shops. If you need the fastest service possible they might be best. (It can still take some time however.)

There is no absolute right or wrong way to go with repairs beyond warranty.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I sent the camera into the Irvine CA location to be repaired. They gave me a quote of $218 and a 7-10 day turnaround.

I'll post here again when I get it back.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Zimtok wrote:
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I sent the camera into the Irvine CA location to be repaired. They gave me a quote of $218 and a 7-10 day turnaround.

I'll post here again when I get it back.

Thanks for the update and I hope for the best.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    The final update....

The camera was sent UPS overnight to the Canon service center in Ivine CA on 7-15-09 with the explanation of failure as follows:

"It started with the camera shutting down when I took a photo. Now it does not power up at all."

I recieved an e-mail on 7-17-09 with a repair estamate of $218.00. I called that same day to give my aproval to goahead with the repair.

I received an e-mail on 8-3-09 that the repair was finished and it was shipped 2nd day Fed-X.

I received the camera today 8-5-09 in good working order, (with my settings still intact) with the repair expanation as follows:

"We have examined the product according to your request, and, it was found that the internal component was inoperative so that hte power supply did not operate properly
    The charge motor and shutter unit was replaced. Other inspection and cleaning wee carried out."

Overall I am happy with the results, and glad to have my camera back. I would have liked an expanation of what might have caused the failure just in case it is someithng I can try to avoid.