Which Windows OS? (And video card)

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited August 2, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I am trying to build laptop that can handle my speech recognition software as well as graphics programs so here is the question

64-bit Vista or 32-bit XP

Does CS4 have any troubles with either? Also are there any big issues of 64-bit Vista that I should know about?

Also for CS4 how important is the video card? The two in the systems I am looking at are:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 370M 256MB
and
NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M, 512MB

How big of a difference would that make?

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    64-bit Vista or 32-bit XP
    64-bit Vista. And in October, 64-bit Windows 7. Why build a new computer and install a decade old OS? ne_nau.gif
    Does CS4 have any troubles with either? Also are there any big issues of 64-bit Vista that I should know about?
    Since you're building a laptop you have the ability to avoid these kinds of problems. Before you settle on a piece of hardware, check to see if there's a 64-bit driver for it.
    Also for CS4 how important is the video card? The two in the systems I am looking at are:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 370M 256MB
    and
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M, 512MB

How big of a difference would that make?
    No experience with this myself but I'm told that CS4 is able to use the graphics card and that this trend will only become more common with apps in the future. I'd get the 770M.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    64-bit Vista. And in October, 64-bit Windows 7. Why build a new computer and install a decade old OS? ne_nau.gif

Since you're building a laptop you have the ability to avoid these kinds of problems. Before you settle on a piece of hardware, check to see if there's a 64-bit driver for it.

No experience with this myself but I'm told that CS4 is able to use the graphics card and that this trend will only become more common with apps in the future. I'd get the 770M.

Sorry I used the wrong word, by build I mean customize a Dell Workstation laptop not build from the ground up.

My main concern is if there have been any problems installing or running CS4 in Vista 64 since I know some programs don't like it, and if thats the case I would go for XP 32 before Vista 32 so I could use more of the 4 GB limit of RAM (I would also get a free upgrade to Windows 7 32-bit when it comes out)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    Your application and needs are unique enough that you should be asking these questions of Adobe. They may have a clear roadmap to specific hardware and software to coordinate with CS4.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Your application and needs are unique enough that you should be asking these questions of Adobe. They may have a clear roadmap to specific hardware and software to coordinate with CS4.

On the software side - I agree with Ziggy. Just ask Adobe. I'm not aware of any problems with Vista/7 64-bit and CS4 however.

Regarding the hardware - if you buy a laptop that Dell sells with 64-bit Vista you can be certain that all your hardware will work. You may want to check the websites for any printers, scanners, etc. that you have also.
  • Diamond DDiamond D Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I am writing from an HP laptop with Vista 64-bit and CS4. CS4 installation gives you both the 32- and 64-bit versions of photoshop. The 64-bit version of CS4 works great, but some of my plugins (Neat Image noise reduction software to be specific) are 32-bit. Originally when I tried to launch the 32-bit version of photoshop when I needed to use this plugin, photoshop would freeze during loading everytime, due to what I think is a hardware driver error. However, I found a solution on the Adobe forum and everything works A-OK now.
    http://diamondd.smugmug.com

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 50mm/f1.8, 18-135/f3.5-5.6, 70-300VR/f4-5.6
    Tokina 11-16/f2.8
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Diamond D wrote:
    I am writing from an HP laptop with Vista 64-bit and CS4. CS4 installation gives you both the 32- and 64-bit versions of photoshop. The 64-bit version of CS4 works great, but some of my plugins (Neat Image noise reduction software to be specific) are 32-bit. Originally when I tried to launch the 32-bit version of photoshop when I needed to use this plugin, photoshop would freeze during loading everytime, due to what I think is a hardware driver error. However, I found a solution on the Adobe forum and everything works A-OK now.

Becareful about Vista 64bit edition. You will limit what hardware you can use with it, that includes printers. That being said, It will enhance your speed by a bit both inside windows and in CS4.

But if you have a 64 Bit OS, then you will be a black sheep and you should expect from time to time to hear, "I'm sorry, we don't support it."
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8