Options

I can't find my 1D MkIII Charger!

NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
edited August 9, 2009 in Accessories
Oh, the agony! That battery lasts for a long time so it's been weeks since I charged, but I'm down to 1 bar and I still can't find it! My wife re-arranged the house, but I can't put all the blame on her - I took the charger out with me last I can remember, and maybe I didn't put it back in the same place...

Those beasts cost $285! :cry Noooooo...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 26, 2009
    Is this right? There's a single-battery charger, not just the dual one that comes with the camera?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-LP-E4-LC-E4-Battery-%26-Charger-1D-Mark-III-Camera_W0QQitemZ300331834902QQcmdZViewItem

$56 sounds much better... and it comes with an additional battery.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited July 26, 2009
    Nimai wrote:
    Is this right? There's a single-battery charger, not just the dual one that comes with the camera?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-LP-E4-LC-E4-Battery-%26-Charger-1D-Mark-III-Camera_W0QQitemZ300331834902QQcmdZViewItem

$56 sounds much better... and it comes with an additional battery.

Never heard of those folks but that is indeed the correct model number for the battery. Feedback looks good. There is always some risk with third party lithium-ion batteries and chargers.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2009
    Well - I made it through 4 days of cheer camp at UT, ending with a blinky battery indicator!
    I've ordered the charger linked above, and I will post back here when it arrives and I've given it a whirl!

Meanwhile, for tomorrows shoot - I'm chargin' up the 30D! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    A very interesting update!
    I received my Chinese no-brand charger and battery. The feel of the plastic and the construction was definitely below Canon pro-gear feel. The battery didn't even feel like it slotted in well in the charger, but it did and the lights came on. After it charged, I went to put it in the 1D MkIII and it wasn't a great fit there either. I struggled to get it in and turn the tab to lock in in place. It worked!

The battery life was about 1/3 of the Canon battery, based on my gut feeling after using it until it needed recharging.

Meanwhile, I had put my Canon-brand battery in the no-name charger. The other morning, I grabbed my Canon battery and started charging the no-namer. That evening, when I arrived at the event I wanted to photograph...
    deadbat.gif
    The Canon battery never really charged!
    It was really frustrating. I got about 40 shots with what remained in my Canon battery.

So, for whatever reason, the no-name charger does not do anything for the Canon-brand battery. It only charges the no-name battery, which works fine in the camera.

I guess I'll keep looking for a Canon charger.
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nimai wrote:
    I received my Chinese no-brand charger and battery. The feel of the plastic and the construction was definitely below Canon pro-gear feel. The battery didn't even feel like it slotted in well in the charger, but it did and the lights came on. After it charged, I went to put it in the 1D MkIII and it wasn't a great fit there either. I struggled to get it in and turn the tab to lock in in place. It worked!

The battery life was about 1/3 of the Canon battery, based on my gut feeling after using it until it needed recharging.

Meanwhile, I had put my Canon-brand battery in the no-name charger. The other morning, I grabbed my Canon battery and started charging the no-namer. That evening, when I arrived at the event I wanted to photograph...
    deadbat.gif
    The Canon battery never really charged!
    It was really frustrating. I got about 40 shots with what remained in my Canon battery.

So, for whatever reason, the no-name charger does not do anything for the Canon-brand battery. It only charges the no-name battery, which works fine in the camera.

I guess I'll keep looking for a Canon charger.

But now that you have purchased something I predict that your will find your original at home — just in an odd place.

Jane B.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    But now that you have purchased something I predict that your will find your original at home — just in an odd place.

Jane B.
    Yes- I'm rather hoping for that classic karmic twist.