Options

Have D50, Looking at moving up.

bc5964bc5964 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Cameras
I am shooting with a Nikon D50 and have been using it for the last 2 years with around 30,000 ckicks.

Lens:
Sigma APO DG70-200 1:2.8 II
Sigma24-70 1:2.8
Nikon DX 18-55 1:3.5-5.6

I am looking at moving up.

The camera which I am looking at is the NIkon D90 body.

I shoot alot of Events digitalmemoriesbyblair.com

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Good choice....of course the D300 is rated for 150K instead of 50K cliks........

Do you find the siggy 24-70 somewhat too long on the wide end???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    How is the D50 limiting you? If the D90 addresses this, I would say go for it if you want to spend the $$. I would also consider selling your two normal zoom range lenses and get a high quality one that goes a bit wider like the Tamron 17-50 2.8, the Sigma 18-50 2.8, or the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2009
    I am wanting to up grade from 6.1 megapixel to 12.3-megapixel

and a faster shutter speed.

digitalmemoriesbyblair.com is my web site.

I take alot of Event photos and get into low light situations.

On the D90 it has the:

Low noise ISO sensitivity from 200 to 3200: High signal-to-noise components and design deliver exceptional performance, even at high ISO setting.

and:
    12.3-megapixel DX-format CMOS imaging sensor: Coupled with Nikon's EXPEED image processing technologies and NIKKOR optics, breathtaking image fidelity is assured.

I am wanting to be able to sell stock photo's.

I am shooting an Event almost every weekend.

Where do you think I should go? New camera body or new fast lenses?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    Some stock photo sites are very strict about file sizes and resolution, some are more content oriented and then there are some that don't have many restrictions at all.

iStock accepts image sizes as small as 1600 x 1200 pixels. Your current camera certainly meets those criteria, as well as potentially meeting other image criteria.

Corbis is 1600 x 2000 pixels for news photos and much higher for "Corbis Funded Production Shoots". (Currently only the Nikon D3x qualifies for CFPS criteria, as well as the Canon 1Ds MKII, 1Ds MKIII and 5D MKII and the Sony A900.)

Be sure to check with your particular agency for submission guidelines and requirements.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Go for it, its on my wishlist to....iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Depending on your needs, either the D90 or D300 would suit you, but lets see if I can break down the needs you have and do a bit of comparison:
    bc5964 wrote:
    • Upgrade from 6.1 to 12.3 Megapixels
    • Obtain a faster shutter speed
    • Take event photos that usually require working in low-light situations
    • Ability to sell stock photos.
    Well, the upgrade in megapixels is a bonus, but not a deal breaker. As Ziggy said, check out the particular stock photo sites you're interested in uploading to and their particular requirements. Also, the higher megapixels will help if you do a lot of touchup work, or a lot of cropping, as there is more image data to work with.

Your camera has very little to do with a "faster shutter speed". I believe you are referring to the "low-light situations" you also mentioned, and in this case, either the D90 or the D300 have an excellent sensor that minimizes noise, even as you raise the ISO. Since you have 2 "fast" lenses, with a fixed f/2.8 aperture, your best bet is a body upgrade, if the D50 is limiting you because of its OK low-light performance.

Let us know if any of this is unclear, so one of us can help you understand and get the best BANG for your buck!

Best of luck,
    Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Depending on your needs, either the D90 or D300 would suit you, but lets see if I can break down the needs you have and do a bit of comparison:

Well, the upgrade in megapixels is a bonus, but not a deal breaker. As Ziggy said, check out the particular stock photo sites you're interested in uploading to and their particular requirements. Also, the higher megapixels will help if you do a lot of touchup work, or a lot of cropping, as there is more image data to work with.

Your camera has very little to do with a "faster shutter speed". I believe you are referring to the "low-light situations" you also mentioned, and in this case, either the D90 or the D300 have an excellent sensor that minimizes noise, even as you raise the ISO. Since you have 2 "fast" lenses, with a fixed f/2.8 aperture, your best bet is a body upgrade, if the D50 is limiting you because of its OK low-light performance.

Let us know if any of this is unclear, so one of us can help you understand and get the best BANG for your buck!

Best of luck,
    Nick

My main goal is to spend money where I need to.

I plan on selling the slow lenses.

Everyone has been very helpful.

Right now I am planning on selling the D50 and the slow lenses and buying the D300

Again Thank You
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    bc5964 wrote:
    My main goal is to spend money where I need to.

I plan on selling the slow lenses.

Everyone has been very helpful.

Right now I am planning on selling the D50 and the slow lenses and buying the D300

Again Thank You

Good choice, may I be that little voice that says D700. The reasons I say it is your lenses minus the kit are already full frame, and the high ISO of that camera is amazing.

The D300 will be no slouch but usable ISO 6400 images like the D700 pumps out is an amazing luxury.
    (I was just shooting a D50 1.5 years ago and the noise at 6400 is around if not a little lower than 800 on the D50)
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    No tech knowledge here but I had the d 70, upgraded to the d 300, and just recently to the d 700. I am blown away by the results of my new d 700. I feel I haven't taken a bad image yet! For me it is like a magic camera! I am 56 yrs old and have been shooting out of auto for just 15 months.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I went up from the D50 to D300 2 years ago. I love my D50 and still use it. Unless you want the video of the D90 I would go for the 300. It is more versatile and built like a tank. Dropped mine 2 times and it keeps shooting.
    Good luck on finding a fit for you
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BiffoBiffo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2009
    d90
    I have one of these D90s,I shot indoors without flash at ISO2000 and there was virtually no noise...Other than that i would be just as happy to use a D40 or 50 as these cameras give excellent images.At the moment I'm looking for one as a backup..I would go for the D90..Forget the video,If you want video buy a Video camera..No auto focus while panning even compacts give you that.No D90 for stills,Fantastic images..R.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited July 28, 2009
    Biffo wrote:
    I have one of these D90s,I shot indoors without flash at ISO2000 and there was virtually no noise...Other than that i would be just as happy to use a D40 or 50 as these cameras give excellent images.At the moment I'm looking for one as a backup..I would go for the D90..Forget the video,If you want video buy a Video camera..No auto focus while panning even compacts give you that.No D90 for stills,Fantastic images..R.

Biffo, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments. Do you have any image samples from the D90?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I progressed from the D80 > D300 > D700. However, I bought all my good glass while still having only the D80 (and before the price increase). No wait... that's a lie.... I've bought two lenses since getting the D300. I like having all three because if I want to go small, the D80.... the D300 is great with the long glass and the D700...... well, what CAN"T I shoot with it? rolleyes1.gif

[qoute]Coupled with Nikon's EXPEED image processing technologies and NIKKOR optics, breathtaking image fidelity is assured.[/quote]
    Just as a footnote..... you won't get Nikkor optics with Sigma lenses. Not that there's anything wrong with them.
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill