Options

My first portraits with lighting...

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited June 6, 2005 in People
Besides a flash on a handle. Several different concepts..

I used a 250 watt sunlight balanced bulb

A silver and gold reflector disc

Powder Blue Backdrop

1 effervescent actress who likes to be photographed.

I used an external flash on a handle for some images and a ring flash for other images.

On occasion, a modeling chair was used (not mine..she SWEARS its just her computer chair!)

Hope you like...this is my second time working with this actress..but the first time really didn't go my way for several reasons..this session was MUCH smoother!

MainFragger

Comments

• Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting pt 2.
    more pics
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting 3
    more pics
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting 4
    more pics
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting 5
    eat moor pics..
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting 6
    pics your nose and eats it...
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting 7
    clean till its pic and pan...(I am SO easily entertained!)
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lighting 8
    the pic of the litter...
  • Options
    Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    I like 3,4,7. I think those are them. She is cute. not to shabby. I personally think that portraits are a little tricky when it comes to lighting and stuff.
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • Options
    SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Great Model and some good poses.

If you've got the room, I would move her about 6 feet away from the background and position another light to fill the shadows behind her. I usually use 3 lights, main light to right, fill to left and small fill light behind.
  • Options
    debtoinedebtoine Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nice pics for a first try!

Like Steve said, move the model approximately 6ft away from the background, to get some more separation between the model and the background, and avoid shadows on the background.

Even though a third light makes it easier to do all that, it is doable with just a two light setup. I sometimes use a reflector to bounce the light onto the background.

Toine
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    debtoine wrote:
    Nice pics for a first try!

Like Steve said, move the model approximately 6ft away from the background, to get some more separation between the model and the background, and avoid shadows on the background.

Even though a third light makes it easier to do all that, it is doable with just a two light setup. I sometimes use a reflector to bounce the light onto the background.

Toine
    I agree, you really need to move her away from the background. You have some really great poses and a great model. Some look a little over exposed, easily fixed in post. Try some more and post again. I have found that a black background in the easiest to start with.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Ouch..Three strikes...
    Actually, space was an issue..and if you look carefully in some of the photos, you can even tell that the backdrop is bowed over the backdrop stand legs. The only nice thing about that setup was being able to use her rug to hold down the backdrop.

The images DO have to be post processed. I might leave a few of them a hair overexposed though. Sometimes I just like the feeling of brightness that provides...overexposed a little isn't always outright bad. At least in my opinion.

I was also going to use some special effects filters, but some of them you have to zoom a little to get them to be really effecftive, and well, the space just wasn't there to get them to come off right.

Next item on my to buy list is a power strip. I got there, and she had one socket to work with..hence, one bulb set up.

I was hoping no one would comment on the angle of the shoots or straightness off them, and so far no one has. OIS is spoiling me.. no tripod. When I eventually get a pro camera, something tells me the weight of the camera, and not having a OIS lenses will make the way I shot this much harder if not impossible.

MainFragger