Options

Keywords Indexing

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I just saw this:

keywords: beach california coastline stacks editted san diego del mar groman california coastline cwskopec chris skopec chrisskopeccom [Indexing: skopec torrey pines torrey pines state beach costal]

I haven't noticed the "[Indexing:...]" before. Is this a new feature? Or have I just not been paying close enough attention before?

In either case, I'm curious... where are the keywords getting Indexed? Just on SmugMug? Or are they being indexed on Google or similar?

Here's the gallery I noticed it on, just in case. 2 of the images no longer show the "Indexing" but the first one does.

Thanks!
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Yes, this is new, it's based on a request from our customers, to show that 'hey, we got your keywords, we're indexing them!' -- they are being indexed by SmugMug's search engine.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, this is new, it's based on a request from our customers, to show that 'hey, we got your keywords, we're indexing them!' -- they are being indexed by SmugMug's search engine.

Cool! Thanks for the hard work and fast response, Andy! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Is indexing taking much longer now?
    Yesterday I added a large amount of images and the keywords were indexxed immediately. Today I added another batch and going on an hour now and still displaying indexing and the keywords are not available in searches.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    SPK64 wrote:
    Yesterday I added a large amount of images and the keywords were indexxed immediately. Today I added another batch and going on an hour now and still displaying indexing and the keywords are not available in searches.
    IT can vary. Just like Google or any other search engine. They will index.
  • Options
    MichaelJMichaelJ Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2009
    SPK64 wrote:

Same problem here. Been at least 2 hours.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    MichaelJ wrote:
    Same problem here. Been at least 2 hours.
    What photo? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    What photo? ear.gif

Sorry, Andy! Looks like my curiosity opened up a can o' worms for you!

If you take a look at the gallery I linked to before (here's the link ), all three images were uploaded at the same time (about midnight, pacific). The first one still shows "Indexing" yet the other 2 appear to be done.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Going on 2 hours for me also.
    At this location.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Give it the day please, and let us know if they're all set or not.
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    How do I set the # of keywords to display on my keyword page: http://www.journeyamerica.org/keyword/

I've looked for this answer, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the help

Jerry Nelson
    www.MeeSoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    How do I set the # of keywords to display on my keyword page: http://www.journeyamerica.org/keyword/

I've looked for this answer, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the help

Jerry Nelson
    www.MeeSoon.smugmug.com
    Control panel, homepage tab, adjust number of keywords.
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Control panel, homepage tab, adjust number of keywords.

Great! Thanks so much!

Jerry
    www.Meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Give it the day please, and let us know if they're all set or not.

Hey Andy,
    I'm still seeing "Indexing" on one of the images (here). All three in the gallery were uploaded at the same time (a little before midnight on Tuesday). This photo was uploaded just prior to my first post yesterday (it's the one I first noticed the "Indexing" on) and it appears to be done indexing.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I don't know whether it's the new indexing or me going a bit mad, but google seems to be returning my site in more searches for keywords now. I certainly aint complaining!!wings.gif
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Excellent new feature! It will certainly reduce the number of shift-refreshes, as I check whether smugmug has picked up my new keywords
  • Options
    CosmicVoyagerCosmicVoyager Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I added a new 152-photo gallery yesterday, and none of the photos have been indexed 18 hours later. (Still shows "[Indexing...]", and does not show up in keyword searches.) It used to only take a few minutes before.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I added a new 152-photo gallery yesterday, and none of the photos have been indexed 18 hours later. (Still shows "[Indexing...]", and does not show up in keyword searches.) It used to only take a few minutes before.
    The gallery is unlisted and unlisted galleries are not keyword indexed for the public.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    CosmicVoyagerCosmicVoyager Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    The gallery is unlisted and unlisted galleries are not keyword indexed for the public.

They were not indexed for the owner (me) either. Anyhow, it seems the indexing process has finally completed and the keywords are now up to date.
  • Options
    dkinderdkinder Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    So, is there a description of what we should expect from indexing somewhere? I *really* appreciate having numbers in the filenames included in the index (it allows clients to search for an image number in a gallery of 500 photos), but I'm not seeing consistency in the indexing process. I've got part of my gallery with image numbers (that are part of the filename) listed as a keyword and part of it not (the "not" part were files added a few days after the images that do have image numbers indexed). If a gallery starts as "unlisted" and later is made public (with a password), would that affect the indexing? How long should indexing of a gallery take (roughly a few hours or a few days) before we get concerned that indexing is done (and is incomplete)?

(I just noticed a gallery uploaded Oct 20th and image numbers were missing from the keywords, now has the [indexing: 1234] showing up, so maybe patience is the answer -- since you recently added numbers to the indexing scheme and it's gonna take a while to scan images and get these included.)

Here's a gallery that's got partial image-number indexing:
    http://kinderpics.smugmug.com/Lakeridge-HS/LHS-2009-Beauty-and-the-Beast (password is "stuff")
    The first files (taken through Nov 9th) have the image number (from the filename) listed as a keyword, but later on (capture time-wise) the image numbers don't appear as a keyword (starting with this image taken on Nov 12th): http://kinderpics.smugmug.com/Lakeridge-HS/LHS-2009-Beauty-and-the-Beast/10212395_YJUNi#712383712_Ct69y
    -- David Kinder, kinderpics photography
  • Options
    Out-of-FocusOut-of-Focus Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I have a quick question on "Indexing"

In "theory" if I put a unique "keyword" (out-of-focus)on my pics.. I should be able to find all my pictures with this keyword (at the smugmug main page).. am I right? its been over 5 days.. and the search comes back with nothing.

Am I missing something?

http://www.out-of-focus.us
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009

In "theory" if I put a unique "keyword" (out-of-focus)on my pics.. I should be able to find all my pictures with this keyword (at the smugmug main page).. am I right? its been over 5 days.. and the search comes back with nothing.

Am I missing something?

where is a photo you've keyworded with that "out-of-focus" ?
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009

Am I missing something?

The dashes in your keyword are going to mess that up. You need to change it to "out of focus" or something else.

Dave
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    pilotdave wrote:
    The dashes in your keyword are going to mess that up. You need to change it to "out of focus" or something else.

Dave

Really? If you search for that specific keyword, out-of-focus with the dashes, it still won't work? Or do you mean searching for "out of focus" won't work?

Malte
  • Options
    Out-of-FocusOut-of-Focus Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Here is the link to one of the pics with the keyword "out-of-focus"

http://www.out-of-focus.us/Nature/Flowers-2009-07-18/10324692_aRwwU#713773745_7JABs

I see that it does not like "out-of-focus" with the dashes.. but "random" as a keyword works

Thanks for all the help.. I will make the changes and take out the "dashes"
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Here is the link to one of the pics with the keyword "out-of-focus"

http://www.out-of-focus.us/Nature/Flowers-2009-07-18/10324692_aRwwU#713773745_7JABs

I see that it does not like "out-of-focus" with the dashes.. but "random" as a keyword works

Thanks for all the help.. I will make the changes and take out the "dashes"

Dashes are used to combine multiple keywords. When you try to look at the single keyword "out-of-focus," smugmug looks for photos with the 3 keywords "out", "of," and "focus" but NOT the single keyword "out-of-focus." If you change the dashes to spaces, smugmug will look for photos with the single keyword "out of focus." Dashes just happen to be special characters that smugmug uses internally.

I have learned that the hard way, over and over, every time I make that mistake. :)

Dave