Options

Wireless Triggers - Cactus V4 Radio Slave?

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited August 24, 2009 in Accessories
The new Cactus V4 Slave Wireless Hotshoe triggers...

I have the V2s right now... but I seem to have lost my receiver unit and haven't been able to find it for weeks... So, I desperately need to either find it now, or replace it. I think I might have taken it with me on my trip to Arizona, and it probably fell out of my camera bag :cry

I would love to get the Paul C. Buff ones... but $120 for a set (or however much it is) is out of the question right now.

And I don't really like the V2s because its not very sturdy in my opinion. Too many times have I seen my 580EXII start to tilt down while shooting (It can't handle the raw manliness of the EXII:bow )... which is unacceptable! Otherwise I would just purchase another receiver unit and save some money.

So, my questions are... Has anybody tried them? Do you like them? Are they reliable as far as when you take a picture it is triggered everytime?

This will sort of be my "buffer" until I purchase ACTUAL studio lighting (yay alien bees!) and when i do that I'm going to splurge and get the paul c buff ones. hopefully the commander transmitter will be out by then.
Jer

Comments

• Options
    kdgrapeskdgrapes Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    The new Cactus V4 Slave Wireless Hotshoe triggers...

So, my questions are... Has anybody tried them? Do you like them? Are they reliable as far as when you take a picture it is triggered everytime?

This will sort of be my "buffer" until I purchase ACTUAL studio lighting (yay alien bees!) and when i do that I'm going to splurge and get the paul c buff ones. hopefully the commander transmitter will be out by then.

I've got a set and have been happy with them. Had a few that didn't flash but nothing that had me upset.
    Ken Grapes

www.photograpes.com
    photograpes.smugmug.com
  • Options
    amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I just ordered my first flash to use off camera (Canon 540ez), and will probably purchase the Cactus V4s myself. I would really like a pair of Cybersyncs, but I am on a very limited budget. I hear the V4s are quite improved over unmodded V2s.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• Options
    StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I shoot with a Canon 40D and a 430EX flash and just got the CyberSyncs after watching some of the guys in my photo club get great results with theirs.

The CyberSyncs came in today, and I discovered I have NO IDEA how to get the receiver to work with the 430EX. I feel like I must be missing something very elementary, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.headscratch.gif

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Paul
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    I shoot with a Canon 40D and a 430EX flash and just got the CyberSyncs after watching some of the guys in my photo club get great results with theirs.

The CyberSyncs came in today, and I discovered I have NO IDEA how to get the receiver to work with the 430EX. I feel like I must be missing something very elementary, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.headscratch.gif

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

Well, if I'm correct you need either a 1/8", 1/4", or PC connection on your flash... which I don't think the 430EX has any of those. ne_nau.gif

You could look into getting a hot shoe converter like this http://www.adorama.com/FAHSPCA.html But I'm sure you could find something cheaper... thats just an example.
    Jer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Well, if I'm correct you need either a 1/8", 1/4", or PC connection on your flash... which I don't think the 430EX has any of those. ne_nau.gif

You could look into getting a hot shoe converter like this http://www.adorama.com/FAHSPCA.html But I'm sure you could find something cheaper... thats just an example.

that is a decent price but yeah they are all over ebay for less.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    that is a decent price but yeah they are all over ebay for less.......

Is there a specific model I need for the 430EX? I've heard that Canon flashes are not "universal" flashes...
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Is there a specific model I need for the 430EX? I've heard that Canon flashes are not "universal" flashes...

I think any shoe mount adapter would work. By non-universal they mean, it will only work on canon bodies and not nikon, olympus, sony, etc... But the shoe mount adapter will work for it...

Like Art said, check Ebay... they should be pretty cheap on there... I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks. the one I linked to on adorama was the first link i found in google, but I wouldn't pay anything more than $9.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009

I do not think so.....all flashes from the time of the troglodytes use the center pin as the trigger.....so any adapter that makes a connection to the center pin will fire the flash.....it fires it......does not allow it to communicate to the camera or other flashes as far as i know.....then the cable from the radio trigger connect to the pc outlet which is connected only to the center pin connection of the shoe....which in some cases i the whole metal part of the shoe...................

Remeber you will need to be in manual mode to use this set upthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif The best mode to be in any way......bowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Many thanks for the advice, guys. I'll be up and running soon...thumb.gif
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I'm actually about to purchase the V4's.

I'm a Nikon shooter, and have an SB 600 and an SB 800. All of my shots are limited to the SB 600 as the main and SB 800 for fill, on the camera shoe, as a commander. It's great in doors and in studio set ups, but this is not reliable outdoors where the portability of the shoemount flashes shines best. In a many of the shots that I've done out doors, the flash just doesn't fire consistently enough for my taste.

So, I'm ready for the next step, wireless triggers. Pocket Wizzards are out of the question. They are way too pricey, and Radio poppers cost even more.

Looking online for a 'cheaper' solution, I came accross the V4's. After various hours of research and reading. It appears as if the V4's don't work well on the SB 800's shoe mount. Lot's of reports of it getting stuck. That can easily be remidied with some velcro and a PC sync chord.

I hear the range is 30 Meters That's about 98 or so feet. More distance than I'll need. I'm sure a hack will come out just like the V2s to increase the range.

The reliability is not bad from what I've read. Obviously the further away the receiver is from the transmitter, you'll have some no-fires. But nothing is worst than the line of sight limitations of Nikon's wireless lighting system. Who shoots TTL or iTTL anyway?

I belive you are still limited to your camera's flash sync speed. At 40 dollars for a transmitter/receiver set and 25 dollars for each additional receiver, you can't go wrong.

I'm going to go ahead an purchase these little bad boys and put them to a real world test and see how they make out. I'll report back here with my findings.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    Frank, I look forward to your report.

I have a pair of V2's, and have lengthened the transmitter's antenna as suggested on the web, but still find my distance limited to maybe 30-40 feet - not really that much better than I get from my ST_E2 with my Canon set up. And still with occasional misfires.

I found that if I wanted reliable, consistent, never miss, flash triggering, there was really only one answer, and you know what it is. Not cheap, not small, but always reliable. PWs.

I hope to hear that the V4s work like the PWs. True? Or not so much?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Frank, I look forward to your report.

I have a pair of V2's, and have lengthened the transmitter's antenna as suggested on the web, but still find my distance limited to maybe 30-40 feet - not really that much better than I get from my ST_E2 with my Canon set up. And still with occasional misfires.

I found that if I wanted reliable, consistent, never miss, flash triggering, there was really only one answer, and you know what it is. Not cheap, not small, but always reliable. PWs.

I hope to hear that the V4s work like the PWs. True? Or not so much?

PF, I doubt they will work like Pocket Wizzards. LoL. But for 90 or so feet, they can't be beat. I also worked a little hack on my D40 that let's me flash sync to 1/4000!
    605329704_8Acvy-L.jpgEXIF

I'm certain that witht he V4's I'll be able to control the flash, in manual mode of course, at those same sync speeds.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Cactus V4's
    I've had mine for over a month now and am very happy with them- I wrote a short review at http://thecaptainnemo.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/cactus-v4-flash-trigger/

and I used them on a trip to mexico for cave photography I wrote briefly about that
    http://thecaptainnemo.wordpress.com/2009/07/25/giant-caves-of-mexico/

Everyone at the ICS (international congress of speleology) in Texas that I showed them to was impressed with how well they worked- I plan to order more soon.601205504_45UFo-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    I just ordered a Cybersync trigger/receiver, from the maker of Alienbees. It should come in tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Not the value of V4s, but certainly reliable from all I've heard.
    [AMG]photos

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I just ordered some Cactus V4 stuff.
    One transmitter with receiver, and two more receivers.
    If I did it again, I'd order 2 Trans. with rec. and a spare rec.
    That way I'd have one extra transmitter and an extra receiver for about $20 more.
    My order was around $100. I'll be using it most of the time in a 30 x 30 foot studio, so
    range should be no problem.

It says to allow up to 2 weeks for them to show up. After I get them, I'll do a quick write up.

P.S. the flashes that I'll be using with them will be 2 - 420EX canon flashes, and if I want a 3rd flash,
    a sunpak 383.

I've been using hot lights in the studio, so I'm kind of excited to see how this setup will work.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    I just ordered some Cactus V4s one trans. and one reciever. They'll be here on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll be able to post some results from them... I figured I might as well not spend $120 on wireless triggers since I'm heading back to college in September, and I wont be getting real studio lights till next summer most likely... so the cactus triggers are the obvious choice.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    well, so far I'm liking the V4 :D now I just need to test it on a real subject... hmm I have a senior session coming up soon, then I'll post some pics from that.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    I received mine today. Unpacking and testing. I'll post results soon.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    They can't be beat for the price.

I put my sb 600 in the bathroom around the wall, about 40 feet from the foyer. Then my SB 800 around the wall in my bedroom (Soon to be studio) 60 feet away from the trigger. The max safe sync speed is 1/800th of a second. 1/1000th at f4.

They fired everytime through walls and such.

SOOC at 200MM, trigger 60 feet away from the furthest remote.

f5.6 at 1/800th of a sec. ISO 200
    617201217_dpwgn-L.jpg

The only downfall of these bad boys is the sync speed. They have what appears to be a 1/1000 of a second reaction time. So any shutter speed over that, will produce a flashless frame. But 1/800th is more than enough I think. Some people are stuck with 1/250th because of their camera flash sync. They'll welcome these 3 or 4 stops of light to control the background better.

After reading on the internet about these triggers and remotes, I decided to use a PC cord to connect my SB 800 to the receiver. I've read about some horror stories about it not wanting to get off it. So I avoided that all together. But it went it nicely on my SB600 and acts as a flash base and caddy also.

For the price, can't be beat.

They also fit nicely in my strobist travel bag!
    617236256_sgKn4-L.jpg

617236274_a922J-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    I just got them. They work well.
    [AMG]photos

• Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    My quick review.

I have 2 Canon 420EX flashes.
    I now have a Cactus V4 transmitter with 3 receivers.

I went to the studio to try them out with my Canon 5DMKII with a 28-105 lens,
    and a old childhood friend.

Here's what I tried, what can I do, to do better.

First thing, check everything for batteries. One flash did, one didn't. Shit!

So, I tried it out with one flash. Batteries go quickly, but I don't know how fresh they were to begin with.
    Tried shooting into an umbrella, worked OK.

619333250_p5ef3-L.jpg

Then tried it with a flash defuser. That worked OK also.

619333282_5rmey-L.jpg

619333287_Hw9Sh-L.jpg

Oh oh, if I go over 1/160 shutter speed, I was getting this.

619333270_t4VBx-L.jpg

No problem, stay under that mark.
    Wait, I'm planning on using this outdoors this Sunday at the Strobist Senior Shoot.
    Would using a ND filter be the best way to control this, or did I miss something?

Anyhow, back to the shots.
    Flash with defuser and a reflector. I think this worked pretty well.

619333293_nfq2R-L.jpg

619333304_BiQGf-O.jpg

Coming from using Hot Lights, the hot lights are way easier to use.
    It's a WYSIWYG deal. Using flashes seems like a lot of guess work.

I will take all suggestions, and any help I can get.
    dave.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Are your flashes on manual mode? from what it sounds
    Tried shooting into an umbrella, worked OK.
    you were shooting in TTL mode...

If this is the case, try it in manual mode at like.. 1/16-1/8 through the umbrella, your results will improve greatly... The TTL sensors on the flash, cannot meter correctly through the umbrella for one thing... and I'm not possitive on this, but I believe the flash cannot relay meter data with the camera's meter so it doesn't fire acurately when on wireless triggers.

Strobe lighting is not guesswork... when you get good with it its all calculated out perfectly. Light Meters help get it all perfect.

Anyways, I'm the OP and I haven't shared my results with these triggers yet... sad... I will post my official review next week.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    Are your flashes on manual mode? from what it sounds you were shooting in TTL mode...

If this is the case, try it in manual mode at like.. 1/16-1/8 through the umbrella, your results will improve greatly... The TTL sensors on the flash, cannot meter correctly through the umbrella for one thing... and I'm not possitive on this, but I believe the flash cannot relay meter data with the camera's meter so it doesn't fire acurately when on wireless triggers.

As far as I can tell, there is no manual mode when the flash is off camera.
    It's an older flash, and I think it's shooting full on every time.
    dave.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    davev wrote:
    As far as I can tell, there is no manual mode when the flash is off camera.
    It's an older flash, and I think it's shooting full on every time.

I did not believe you when you said it, but I did some research and yeah, no "manual" mode on it. But when off camera it fires full everytime like you said.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    davev wrote:
    It's a WYSIWYG deal. Using flashes seems like a lot of guess work.

I will take all suggestions, and any help I can get.

Actually it is a visualization thing.............here is what I mean..............you are used to using hotlights......wysiwyg..........using flash (strobe) and no modeling light just means you need to visualize where that light is going and it won't take long to get good at it......of course there are those gurus that actually do not need meters or modeling lights they can look at their lighting......be it the sun, a hotshoe strobe or what ever and know what it will take to get a good exposed shot.....

Does you camera allow you to use a "High Speed Sync"? If so then this will be more help probably than using ND filters of any kind.....or else stay under the 1/160 and regulate with aperture......being carful not to turn you BG black.....or just unaturally dark.

sine it seems that 1/160th is you top sync speed yes ND filters can help and you will find that ND fileters for your strobe (theatrical ND Gels less than 10/ sheet) are much cheaper than filters for your lens......

• Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually it is a visualization thing.............here is what I mean..............you are used to using hotlights......wysiwyg..........using flash (strobe) and no modeling light just means you need to visualize where that light is going and it won't take long to get good at it......of course there are those gurus that actually do not need meters or modeling lights they can look at their lighting......be it the sun, a hotshoe strobe or what ever and know what it will take to get a good exposed shot.....

Does you camera allow you to use a "High Speed Sync"? If so then this will be more help probably than using ND filters of any kind.....or else stay under the 1/160 and regulate with aperture......being carful not to turn you BG black.....or just unaturally dark.

sine it seems that 1/160th is you top sync speed yes ND filters can help and you will find that ND fileters for your strobe (theatrical ND Gels less than 10/ sheet) are much cheaper than filters for your lens......

Hmmm, I don't have time for this shoot to get and try gels for the flashes, but that sounds like a good idea.
    I have quite a few ND filters from shooting IR with my Sony 717 that will fit the lens I'll be using.
    I'd rather take the shutter speed down with the filters and ISO so I can sill keep control (somewhat) of DOF.

Question:

The Cactus transmitter's battery, how long does it last?
    dave.

• Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    davev wrote:

Question:

The Cactus transmitter's battery, how long does it last?

Not certain but I've been using mine a lot for the last couple of months- still going strong. I did pick up a couple extra batteries at an electronics store ($1.49) just in case though.
    Here's a shot from Texas, I was very glad I had the cactus V4's here as several people were trying to take pictures at once and triggering each others optical slaves. 611457610_VHLbH-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Ok, so I had two senior sessions today so I was able to test them out in a real life application.

The first session I'm disregarding altogether because it was at 1pm and I was battling the sun the entire time (the senior chose the time, not me, I did not recommend it but it was the only time available for him).

However, the second was in a nice park. With lots of TREES! And it was at 3 so it was, still harsh light, but better than at 1.

This is the only setup shot I took, and its not that great of a shot. I was pressed for time because her mom brought two other siblings, and then the mom's brother showed up with a friend, and everyone was hot and wanted to leave... so I was in a hurry.

Say hello to Alex my assistant for the day. He accepts payment of pizza and mountain dew. The setup I had him carrying all day was a lightweight lightstand with an umbrella holder attachment, on top I have the cactus receiver screwed onto the umbrella holder, and my 580EX II mounted ontop of the receiver. This is an "out takes" picture obviously!

628636315_F8cBb-L.jpg

The Beautifull young lady he's firing the flash at is Mercedes, yes like the car. Its strange, I know, get over it!

As you can see in this picture the sun is coming from camera right, shining on her back, I used fill flash from the umbrella to lighten the shadow on her face. And I think I have done a nice job doing so. Sadly her sweat-shirt is blown, but I'm not too worried about that.

628113021_GXyUs-L.jpg

Edit: Just looked through the first session again, and I do have a picture where it shows the flash helping. This is Anthony.
    628194262_U5LnP-L.jpg
    Jer