Options

Lenses...Your opinions please

mhamiltonmhamilton Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 8, 2005 in Cameras
I am looking to buy a zoom lens in the 20 to 100mm range and would like recomendations as to what to consider. I would like to stay in the $200 to $500 range.

I owned a 70-200 APO Sigma several years ago and sold it in with the rest of the Minolta equipment I had so that I could buy my new camera (Canon 20D). I was very impressed with its performance, but do not know if it reflects the quality of all of the other Sigma lenses. I am now looking for a good zoom lens that would work for the majority of what I shoot. I would like the lens to be fast, but I have been very pleased with the low noise levels at the higher ISO's.

What lenses do you have or have used that you would recommend in this range?

Thanks in advance for your posts!

Mark

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    mhamilton wrote:
    I am looking to buy a zoom lens in the 20 to 100mm range and would like recomendations as to what to consider. I would like to stay in the $200 to $500 range.

Two ideas come to mind.

Canon 28-135/IS
    Tamron 28-85/2.8
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    As always, the more money you spend, the happier you'll be. There are a lot of new zooms in ever-increasing zoom ranges, but one thing I can say from the looks of your price range is this: just make sure you don't settle for the super-cheap, "kit" 28-80 or 28-200 style lens; you'll be throwing it away in a year or two cause it's pure plastic and poor engineering. I'd say don't spend less than $300. About $300-$400 is the baseline for good quality, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I've shot some awesome, sharp photos with 28-80 and 70-300 $99 and $140 lenses, it's just that you'll have to replace them in a year or so.

That said, both of the previous reccomendations are awesome. The 28-135 IS is tried and true, although it might not be wide enough for a 20D. If you're able, I'd plunk down for the digital equivalent of the 28-135 IS, the EF-S 17-85 IS. From what I hear, it's a gem!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    mhamilton wrote:

I would like the lens to be fast, but I have been very pleased with the low noise levels at the higher ISO's.

What lenses do you have or have used that you would recommend in this range?
    Interestingly enough, the same exact lenses popped into my mind as mercphoto:

Canon 28-135 IS USM
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di

I have both and have been very satisfied with the results on my 20D. The Canon is definately slower-f/5.6 @ 135mm, but has better reach which I appreciate more for a general 'walk-around' lens. The IS and high ISO performance of the 20D help to offset this to a large extent.

However, there are times where you need fast, and the f/2.8 aperture of the Tamron has it. The Tamron is really a fantastic bargain for a mid range zoom and a good copy will give even a Canon L lens a run for it's money. The Tamron is also cheaper than the Canon 28-135 (apx. $345 for the Tamron with current rebates vs. $400 for the Canon with current rebates), which would leave you enough to pick up a nice fast Canon prime like the 50mm f/1.8 or 28mm f/1.8 if you don't have one yet.

Considering the trade offs, you should be quite satisfied with either. And honestly, within your budget and specified zoom range I can't even think of another zoom available that I'd recommend.

If you could swing it, for around $600 Canon has the EF-S 17-85 IS USM which offers the equivelent 28-135mm range on a 1.6 crop factor camera like the 20D, and would be a great walk-around lens in the range you are considering. I don't have one (yet anyway...), but from most of what I've read and heard it is a very competent lens in the EF-S mount.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    If you're able, I'd plunk down for the digital equivalent of the 28-135 IS, the EF-S 17-85 IS. From what I hear, it's a gem!

I've actually been looking at reviews of the 17-85, and most are saying it has too much distoration and color issues from 17-24 mm. I'm now tempted to stay away from that lens. I will probably compliment my existing 28-135 with a 17-40/4L. I also think the 17-85 is over-priced.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    I have a sigma 24-70 f2.8 ex lens coming in the mail on wednesday .....provides a slightly wider alternative to that tamron...cost me 371 shipped.... I will let you know what I think of it when it arrives. thumb.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    I have a Tokina Zoom Wide Angle 28-80mm f/2.8 AT-X 280AF Pro that I picked up from KEH in like new plus condition for $349.00, it sales new at B&H for $519.95. It has been a great lens with no problems or regrets. On my members page http://actionshots4u.smugmug.com/ all the images of the K9 Officers in front of their vehicles were taken with that lens.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    I really love my new sigma 24-70 f2.8. See my other thread for info and sample shots about it.....
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8