Options

Southern Utah in Sept.

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited August 1, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
I am planning to spend a few days (4.5 days) traveling between Zion and Bryce NPs on an upcoming buisness trip to Vegas, at the end of Sept.

Doing some advanced reading, there appears to be SO much that one can see and do just between Vegas, and these two parks, let alone the rest of southern UT (and nearby national parks), that a body could spend a few weeks (possibly months) in the area and not get to all of the "must see" places/sights.

Therefore my question, can anyone familiar with the area and the photographic possibilities, recommend any particular or specific sites within (or between) these two NPs that I should focus my attention and lens? I would like to maximize my time and not just try to see everything and zip back and forth, missing more than I am seeing.

Local intel on some of the lesser known or lesser visited sites and places to set up the tripod, would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    FWIW, my favorite Sunrise is at Thors Hammer in Bryce Canyon.
    (most good light in Bryce is morning hours due to the sunset light is shadowed by the ridge on the west of the rim)

in Zion I really love the Emerald pools hike all the way to the top pool.
    very hard to photograph and in Sept the sun light only hits the top pool for limited amount of time IF any direct light is getting in there during Sept.)
    also, not much waterfalls are around in Sept, but maybe you will get lucky)

Angels Landing is something you will remember all your life. But be ready for it...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    Southern Utah offers years of exploration just for a beginning.

A few books to get you started locally around Zion and Bryce

Tony Heugel "Utah Byways- 65 of Utah's Best Backcountry Drives" Most of these can be done in a standard rental SUV - I have done a bunch in my Honda truck.

Laurent Martre's "Photographing the SouthWest Volume 1" A guide to the natural landmarks of Southern Utah and Colorado. It has specific suggestions for Bryce, Zion, Paria, The Escalante Wilderness, and others.

Another is Kathy and Craig Copeland's "Wow Guide - Utah Canyon Country"

If you have time to get to south eastern Utah, another new world opens up from Hanksville to Moab and down to Bluff and Mexican Hat.

You can find lots of images from all over southern Utah here which is my travel gallery so I know them well.

Much of the best scenery is not in the National Parks - sssshhhh - this is supposed to be a secret known only to Utah's settlers.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BrentCBrentC Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    If you have the time, consider the North Rim of the Grand Canyon too! It's a six hour drive from Vegas and from Zion it's about 4 hours because there are no freeways once off I-15 at St. George. Lodging there is expensive and sometime with the recession still plaguing us there could be opennings for the motel that is there or the cabins. Crowds are mostly gone and the air turns to autumn. The North Rim closes October 1. Autumn hits Bryce & the North Rim around the last week of September and in Zion around the end of October. If you don't stay overnight at the Grand Canyon, it is a long day drive doable from Zion. Since your in the area, what's a few hundred extra miles and photos for a lifetime!
    Dusty Trails, vegasdesertfox
    Have tent will camp
    http://www.vegasdesertfox.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MarcyMarcy Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    you might want to stop in at Snow Canyon state park by St George and the Red Cliffs recreation area by Leeds - but there is a lot to see - If you like to hike plan for a longer day at Zion or Bryce they take a lot of time - in Zion you will take a shuttle through the park and can get on and off at various stops - at Bryce you drive the Rim then hike down into the canyon and back up to get out - if you take more time you will get more good shots - sunrise and sunset at Bryce is amazing - wide angle lens usually will do the job - not much wild life on a regular basis -
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited July 31, 2009
    You asked about Utah, but if you're traveling through Las Vegas you might want to consider two parks in Nevada too. Those are Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area - http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/ - just west of Las Vegas, and Valley of Fire State Park - http://parks.nv.gov/vf.htm - east of Vegas, and easily a side trip on the way to Zion.

I wandered in both parks in February. In case a view from someone else's camera helps, photo galleries from my too quick visit are at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/gallery/7421890_bAAKr.

--- Denise
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Thanks to All!!!
    To everyone who has replied to my request for So. Utah intel, for my up coming trip...THANK YOU!!

You insights, information, and shared photos are a BIG help, wish I could leave right now. I fear however, that a week will barely scratch the surface and this will be one area of the country that I will be returning too.

Now, just to get more clients and work in Vegas or SLC!!

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply with such useful and helpful information.thumb.gifclap.gif