Options

Two new "street" shots

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited August 1, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hello folks. No story here -- just a couple pictures. They have some mechanical problems but C&C is certainly welcome. Enjoy!

1)
3774572893_99d732c940_o.jpg

2)
3775378404_4849a769b7_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    The first shot isn't doing anything for me. It's almost as if everything in the frame made a conscious effort to be as uninteresting as possible. eek7.gif There needs to be something that engages the viewer. It doesn't need to be something literal. An idea or concept could be the drawing card.

But, I'm really enjoying the second shot a lot. It has me wanting to create a story in my mind about the couple's many decades together and possibly how they met on a similar ride for the first time and fell in love. I think there are some technical issues with the image that others would be better able to comment on. Especially with the far right on the ride's central spindle.

Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Hi Travis,
    I hope by what you mean by "no story" refers to your words accompanying the post and not the pictures themselves.

I think the second picture is superior to the first. That's a sweet scene and the woman's expression is wonderful. I wish you had just another few degrees around on the capture so we could see more of their faces. Did you consider a more vertical crop? though I could see that frame losing the context of a carnival ride.

The first one has some interesting elements, like the heads on the table. The weakness is that we are seeing the back of a guy and that's just isn't engaging enough to me to carry a shot. I see he is interested in something, but that merely serves to frustrate me because I cannot see his expressions.

I find that more effective street shots capture people's expressions, emotions, and body language. Faces often are the key to the former two attributes. I also have seen a lot of aspiring street shooters, especially younger people, feel inhibited about capturing subjects more directly. It's safer to shoot from the side with a telephoto or from the rear. So, I'd recommend you practice direct shots. As you have a good eye, your rewards will come quickly.

M
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I love the second story clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    The first shot isn't doing anything for me. It's almost as if everything in the frame made a conscious effort to be as uninteresting as possible. eek7.gif There needs to be something that engages the viewer. It doesn't need to be something literal. An idea or concept could be the drawing card.

But, I'm really enjoying the second shot a lot. It has me wanting to create a story in my mind about the couple's many decades together and possibly how they met on a similar ride for the first time and fell in love. I think there are some technical issues with the image that others would be better able to comment on. Especially with the far right on the ride's central spindle.

Thanks for posting!
    Hi Travis,
    I hope by what you mean by "no story" refers to your words accompanying the post and not the pictures themselves.

I think the second picture is superior to the first. That's a sweet scene and the woman's expression is wonderful. I wish you had just another few degrees around on the capture so we could see more of their faces. Did you consider a more vertical crop? though I could see that frame losing the context of a carnival ride.

The first one has some interesting elements, like the heads on the table. The weakness is that we are seeing the back of a guy and that's just isn't engaging enough to me to carry a shot. I see he is interested in something, but that merely serves to frustrate me because I cannot see his expressions.

I find that more effective street shots capture people's expressions, emotions, and body language. Faces often are the key to the former two attributes. I also have seen a lot of aspiring street shooters, especially younger people, feel inhibited about capturing subjects more directly. It's safer to shoot from the side with a telephoto or from the rear. So, I'd recommend you practice direct shots. As you have a good eye, your rewards will come quickly.

M

Thanks, both of you, for the comments. Since you had similar replies I'll just respond to both at once. :)

I was uncertain if I should post the first shot as I think what I saw in the image was entirely too subtle to translate well. I wonder if this version holds more interest?

3774837161_92a89384dc_o.jpg

The second shot was a tough exercise in framing for me! I stood in front of that damned ride for 30 minutes trying to time the cars and get some decent shots. I got some that were better timed but none, I think, that told a story as well as this one. I tried various crops but this one, I thought, told the best story.

And yes, Miguel, I meant I wasn't going to write a story for them. :)

Thanks again for the comments!
    Travis
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I love the second story clap.gif
    Thanks Dan!
    Travis
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I reallyiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif #2!!! So sweet but kinda funny!
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    I reallyiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif #2!!! So sweet but kinda funny!

Thank you Melissa!
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

Thanks for posting!

Agree, agree - Love the second one Travis -what great characters...I hope you got them a couple times as they whipped around...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Agree, agree - Love the second one Travis -what great characters...I hope you got them a couple times as they whipped around...

Thanks for the comment B.D. Unfortunately, I got to the ride just as it was ending so I only got two of this couple. I'm hoping they're coming back to the fair tonight and I catch them again. The other shot was quick and the couple was out of focus so this was the only winner. Wish me luck!
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    The second one is fantastic. She exudes some enthusiasm, and he seems very stoic about it all.thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    The second one is fantastic. She exudes some enthusiasm, and he seems very stoic about it all.thumb.gif
    Thanks for the kind words!

Alas, I did not see them at the fair this evening so all we get is this lonely shot. That's ok, though, as it's far better than no shot at all!
    Travis
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Number two is a rare shot indeed. What stories this one tells. Great capture. If it wound up in great shots for 2009, I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Number two is a rare shot indeed. What stories this one tells. Great capture. If it wound up in great shots for 2009, I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, what a great compliment. Thank you!
    Travis