Options

Wedding Story

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited June 5, 2005 in Weddings
This is the story of my second "pro" wedding. This time I'm not the "second shooter"...this time I'm not working for a wedding company.
I booked this wedding last summer after I shot a wedding rehearsal dinner. In that time I've gained a second camera, second flash, stand and umbrella...and a lot more experience. This time the whole gig (and thus responsibility) was on me.

24021553-M.jpg

Shooting weddings is HARD work. You'd think that looking around and pressing a shutter button couldn't be "all that tiresome", but I was exhausted after this 6 hours of shooting.

Worked hard to make sure that all my camera batteries were charged, all flash cards were formatted, hard drive backup was formatted. Bought a bunch of extra AA batteries for the flashes and hard drive backup.

Packed everything up nice and neat. Checked it twice. And proceeded to leave my suit jacket, tie and LightSphereII at home :)

Really glad I had my second flash on an umbrella stand...particularly having forgotten the LSII. Without the flash/umbrella on a stand, I could not have gotten this photo:

24091848-M.jpg

I really needed an assistant. I don't know how photographers do the portrait + photojournalism style shooting (what I attempted) without some extra hands. I took a risk in attempting the flash/umbrella lighting as I JUST got them last week and am still learning the ropes. I really think the shots would have been MUCH harder without it, though. And I also learned that I REALLY like my LSII as I missed having it very much.

I took about 750 photos...of which about 175 are in the "really good" category (IMHO) and 500 of which will be delivered on CD to the client. Bride and groom's family and I are all part of the same church and I took a couple early prints to them today. They are thrilled, and seeing their joy is really the fun part of being a photographer.

Not all the photos are done, but here's an early set. Haven't cropped, straightened, or dealt with the shiny skin yet (it was 85 degrees outside).

24011973-M.jpg

Gallery: http://leebase.smugmug.com/gallery/574662

Lee

Comments

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    I'd say you did great, but I'm no authority on the subject. I played primary photographer for my wife's best friend's kid. I had only had a camera in my hands for about 6 months at the time. They were on a tight budget (otherwise why would they have asked me). I was nervous as hell and it was a lot of work. I'm just telling you this because I appreciate what you went through. I wouldn't consider what I turned out to be anywhere near pro quality, but they told me they were very happy with the photos and were quite impressed (both of their families also).

Last fall (one year after that wedding) I took the camera to my brother-in-law's wedding. I was shooting just for the fun of it (also hopinig I could get something good enough to give to them as a gift). There was no pressure because they had hired a "pro" (although they along with the rest of both families said they enjoyed mine more than the "pro's"). With lack of pressure, I enjoyed it soooo much more.

I really couldn't do it full time. I'm sure that with enough experience it'd get a lot easier and less nerve racking - I just don't think I'm wired for it.

Sorry - didn't mean to ramble on like that. I started out with the intention of saying that I looked in your gallery and thought you had done a real fine job.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nice series, Lee!
    I like the stairs shot:-)

By any chance you can compare the LS2 to any of the Lumiquest-type system?
    Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    I'm just telling you this because I appreciate what you went through. I wouldn't consider what I turned out to be anywhere near pro quality, but they told me they were very happy with the photos and were quite impressed (both of their families also).
    That's how I started. I did 3 or 4 weddings as "friend with a camera" for folks in my church who couldn't afford a real photographer. I've shot weddings with only my Nikon Coolpix 990...and the folks loved the photos...though it's nothing like I can do today with my 20D and 5 years more experience.
    Phil U. wrote:
    Sorry - didn't mean to ramble on like that. I started out with the intention of saying that I looked in your gallery and thought you had done a real fine job.
    I appreciate your encouragement, and your story :)

Lee
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks. It was a real challenge lighting wise...and "everyone's eyes are open and everyone is smiling"-wise :)
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks!
    I have a lumiquest "softbox" (something like 6x8") and a lumiquest 80/20 (20 forward, 80 bounced).

The LSII falls off my flash frequently, and the lumiquest products don't :)

I like the LSII better, but I've not done any serious testing. Just my preference after using those products. I wish the LS didn't look goofy, and I wish it didn't fall off.

But when I'm shooting in a room with decent walls and ceilings...it's the product I want.

Here's a shot with just the LSII on my camera:

21120376-M.jpg

Lee
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Thanks!

Nik,

I've got a LSII, if you ever want to borrow it and check it out. It's sized specifically for my flash, the 420EX. It's very nice. Can't compare it myself, but from the samples I've seen on the LSII website, it looks to be nicer than the Lumiquest.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Lee, those are gorgeous photos. Funny, how things that are a lot of work and difficult look so easy.

I would never have known that a stairs shot required all that equipment and know how. Scary.

You did a great job, love the photos you showed.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I would never have known that a stairs shot required all that equipment and know how. Scary.
    Imagine if you only had the flash on your camera. How would you get all of them well lit without over lighting the girls near you and underlighting the girls at the top of the stairs far away from you?

Now imagine you have one stand with a flash and umbrella that you have extended to the max, about 10', and you don't want it to fall over when you move, and you have to figure out the best position for it.

[QUOTE=ginger_55You did a great job, love the photos you showed.

ginger[/QUOTE]
    Thanks,

24012213-M.jpg

I took this shot as a practice shot while the bride was unavailable to me in another room. Took this brides maid near a window to get natural lighting.

Lee
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    Nice job Lee. You did a great job. I'm not sure how you did it by yourself. I shot my first (and hopefully last) wedding the other week. I was very tired at the end of the day and I had an assistant (actually my neighbor). She was great and I don't know how I would have done all the formals without her. You are to be congratulated.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2005
    great shots lee!

i just shot a wedding for a cousin last night. they had hired a photographer, but they invited me to shoot as well. it was a very unconventional wedding and they had it in their house. i've shot other events before, but i found the wedding thing to be difficult and very exhausting. i'm not sure if it's the right thing for me, i think i need another wedding to decide. i'll be posting my pictures from last night soon.