Homeless Man Sleeping: New York

2»

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    leebase wrote:
    That's some high horse you are riding on. Worth perhaps a comment about what you think....but pressing on as if you have some definitive "Truth" about what is or is not "exploitation" etc. When I want sermons, I go to church.

Lee

I, too, find respect for people a form of egotism. rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I, too, find respect for people a form of egotism. rolleyes1.gif

How do you look at a photo and determine what respect that photographer did or did not have?

I know _I_ didn't look at the photo and think "wow, what a dirty bum laying on the street" or anything disrespectful -- nor did I think the photographer meant people to have that reaction.

I didn't see the photo and think "this proves that all homeless are mentally ill" nor that "this photo tells the story that people are bums because of their own choices".

All that prattle that people have gone on about is NOTHING about THIS photo but everything about their own feelings about the homeless.

I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what I should think about the homeless.

The fact that the photographer was in the area helping the homeless is a pretty good indicator that THEY weren't feeling "disrespect" for the homeless.

Lee
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Thanks for your comments.
    What is a "PJ piece"? Don't know the term. Thanks

Photo Journalism = Story(text) plus picture

disclaimer: I posted a thread of definition of photo journalism and I couldn't see a consensus. This is what I think it is...

:D
    Rags
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    leebase wrote:
    How do you look at a photo and determine what respect that photographer did or did not have?

I know _I_ didn't look at the photo and think "wow, what a dirty bum laying on the street" or anything disrespectful -- nor did I think the photographer meant people to have that reaction.

I didn't see the photo and think "this proves that all homeless are mentally ill" nor that "this photo tells the story that people are bums because of their own choices".

All that prattle that people have gone on about is NOTHING about THIS photo but everything about their own feelings about the homeless.

I don't need you or anyone else to tell me what I should think about the homeless.

The fact that the photographer was in the area helping the homeless is a pretty good indicator that THEY weren't feeling "disrespect" for the homeless.

Lee

Wow, Lee, a tad touchy, aren't we?mwink.gif I don't recall using the word "dirty," and I certainly didn't say that "people are bums because of their own choice." Nor did I say that this one image proves "all the homeless are mentally ill." In fact, while I did say that a large percentage - of individual homeless people suffer from mental illness or some form of substance abuse, the points I made were quite the opposite of what you're contending. My point was precisely that because most people are on the street for reasons beyond their control, we should think long and hard before taking one-off photos of them that accomplish nothing beyond giving us "bragging rights."

But hey, disagree with me, ignore me, say whatever you care to - that's your right."
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    But hey, disagree with me, ignore me, say whatever you care to - that's your right."

Thought I was exercising that right quite well ;)

I'd say more, but then I'd be doing that "preaching thing" that I was "preaching against" :D

Lee