Options

Big Bug Closeup

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited June 6, 2005 in Holy Macro
I didn't have any of my macro stuff with me when I found these bugs (Morman Crickets). These were shot using the in-camera (Sony V3) macro setting, nothing special here.
44200391.jpg

And a closer crop. Looks like he's quite content to make this a new home.
44200390.jpg

I'm looking forward to reshooting these bugs with my new setup (delivering today :smile6) with a real macro lens (canon 100mm f2.8 macro).

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 3, 2005
    These are really nice Chris thumb.gifthumb.gif

Super DOF for being that close clap.gifclap.gif Not to mention tack sharp :D

Don't sell yourself short on the "nothing special" bull.......lol That first one is wayyyyy good clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Phew, you folks have some of the most gorgeous hoppers and crickets I've ever seen. Ours are very small and no where near the colours of this. Ok, so I'm jealous..... but in a good way :D

Great sharp details Chris and that is one heck of an oviposter. Phew.

Danny.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2005
    Hi Steve and Danny,
    OK, I had to look up oviposter to figure out what you were talking about. Guess it's a she and not a he11doh.gif. Learn something new every day or it isn't worth getting out of bed. These guys and gals come in all sorts of colors, from black, deep red, purple to this colorful gal. We're in our 6th year of invasion and it's looking like they just might win the war. I can always send you a few million if you want some to shoot. It would take me a few days to collect this many bugs.

Steve, thanks for the comment, but I was meaning "nothing special" with regards to equipment. I too like the first one.

She was a real charmer for a bug. If I was a bug, I know who I'd be chasingiloveyou.gif.

I'm hoping to get a few more shots this weekend since they are overrunning the area just north of here.

Chris

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Wow Chris
    I didn't have any of my macro stuff with me when I found these bugs (Morman Crickets). These were shot using the in-camera (Sony V3) macro setting, nothing special here.
    And a closer crop. Looks like he's quite content to make this a new home.
    I'm looking forward to reshooting these bugs with my new setup (delivering today biggrinbounce2.gif) with a real macro lens (canon 100mm f2.8 macro).
    Chris
    What a great looking bug, I've never seen one of those before.
    I love the heads on crickets, grasshoppers and dragon flies, also those stick insects have the best looking facial profiles too :D

I've just been outside shooting a spider, but I gotta go to work, and haven't even had time to see if I got at least one good shot ne_nau.gif fingers crossed.

Thanks for sharing........Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    J: Incredible looking bug. You are soooo lucky.

H: The V3 sure takes some nice close-ups. Nice job to both of you.
    J&H
  • Options
    Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    first of all, those look huge, even if it is close-up

second, those are some nice pictures
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2005
    Thanks Jekyell and Ruffio
    I'm lucky to have these because I'm not living in their migration path nor do I have to camp in a field of these (Done this and it isn't fun). I was hoping to get more today but didn't have a chance to get out the the infested area. Maybe next week :).

Glad you liked them,
    Chris