Hi! I'm new!

AmyMathewsAmyMathews Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited August 2, 2009 in People
I've been toying around, learning all I can for the past couple of years. I'm on the verge of finally upgrading to a D300, (too bad you actually need money to buy things! :rolleyes ) and am hoping to start up a business in the next 6 months. I love forums like this and learning from and being inspired by other photographers.

Anyway, glad to be here! :)

Here's a couple of recent shots that I like. Any C&C is greatly appreciated and welcome! They are my kids and my nephews.

Thanks!! :)

blake-river2.jpg

mitchellandjackson1.jpg

jackson2bw.jpg

jackson1c.jpg

lucas1.jpg

blakecorn.jpg

haleypool.jpg

Eliflag.jpg

Eli-7.jpg

haleyflag.jpg

Comments

• AmyMathewsAmyMathews Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    No tips? :cry
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    AmyMathews wrote:

Spend more time and money on the business of photography than you do with the photography part.

Lee
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    AmyMathews wrote:

hi and welcome on Dgrin!

you have some nice shots (im not that knowledgeable on portrait phot. so someone else will surely have some more constructive feedback probably).

give it a bit time, Dgrin can be slow at times :D lots of people watching but sometimes not so many people talking
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Lee has given you some great tips.

The only two pics which I like are the first one and the one in the cornfield. They are the only two which I, myself would want to have taken, although I think I'd have used less yellow in the cornfield, and done more work on the skin tones in #1.

All the others are just snaps (IMNSHO), some of them are just too cluttered up with stuff, or they're not technically perfect. Fine, they'll do for snaps, but what is your intention? If you are intending to sell pictures, then they have to be better than those of the competition; that's all there is to it… …nothing more!

You'll get lost of "…wonderful pictures!" and "…so cute!" and "…oh, best thing since sliced-bread!" and "…oh, Amy, your pics are so good that I want you to bear my children!" eek7.gif, but take little heed of it all!

Check around, look at other pics, see what works and what doesn't.

It's so easy to take and publish pictures today, that you would think that there would be millions of brilliant photographers around, taking millions of brilliant pictures; yes, well that's another story…

By the way, advice on most bulletin-boards is worth precisely what you pay for it.

Welcome again, and enjoy the hobby; and don't be put off by Old Curmudgeons like me! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited August 1, 2009
    leebase wrote:
    Spend more time and money on the business of photography than you do with the photography part.

Lee

headscratch.gif Ok, that's pretty much what I've been doing the past two years. And, I'm pretty sure that I really don't want to run a great photography business and take crappy photos. Maybe that's just me though. rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 1, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Lee has given you some great tips.

The only two pics which I like are the first one and the one in the cornfield. They are the only two which I, myself would want to have taken, although I think I'd have used less yellow in the cornfield, and done more work on the skin tones in #1.

All the others are just snaps (IMNSHO), some of them are just too cluttered up with stuff, or they're not technically perfect. Fine, they'll do for snaps, but what is your intention? If you are intending to sell pictures, then they have to be better than those of the competition; that's all there is to it… …nothing more!

You'll get lost of "…wonderful pictures!" and "…so cute!" and "…oh, best thing since sliced-bread!" and "…oh, Amy, your pics are so good that I want you to bear my children!" eek7.gif, but take little heed of it all!

Check around, look at other pics, see what works and what doesn't.

It's so easy to take and publish pictures today, that you would think that there would be millions of brilliant photographers around, taking millions of brilliant pictures; yes, well that's another story…

By the way, advice on most bulletin-boards is worth precisely what you pay for it.

Welcome again, and enjoy the hobby; and don't be put off by Old Curmudgeons like me! thumb.gif

- Wil

Thanks. thumb.gif My goal is to be the best that I can. I don't claim to be a pro and I realize that anyone with a dSLR these days pick it up and start a business. So, the point of these pics was to have some nice prints for my family to hang on their walls. And to post and get pointers on how I can make them better. :)
    edited August 1, 2009
    AmyMathews wrote:
    headscratch.gif Ok, that's pretty much what I've been doing the past two years. And, I'm pretty sure that I really don't want to run a great photography business and take crappy photos. Maybe that's just me though. rolleyes1.gif

The best of all worlds is to be the most amazing business person and artist. BUT -- while awaiting to be perfect in all areas -- put your time and money into the business part.

This set of photos does not scream "ready to put out the shingle in 6 months' to me. BUT -- that does not mean you can't be successful. Pleasing your clients is a lot easier than pleasing other photographers.

I could comment on the "dead eyes" that are in several of those photos or other particulars, but really, I think your best interest would be in thinking "how am I going to make money at this".

Spending time on your branding, advertising, sales, packages etc. There's every bit a much to learn in that arena as in the photography itself. It's better to be better at the business.

You might wonder "why would Lee recommend I sell crappy photos". Well, they are not crappy. Those photos might not be "first rate professional photography" but they are certainly something a mother would love and if you are better at selling to that mother than the next photographer -- you win.

Also, I did the opposite. I spent years on my photography -- on my gear and software and skill both behind the camera and behind the computer. And I could have made more money doing none of that and working for UPS in the evenings and weekends.

I shot weddings for studios and brides paid $5,000 or so for my services. I get $600 of that. So I stopped shooting for studios -- and I stopped getting brides willing to pay $5,000 (or even $2,000) for my photography.

Why? Because I don't market like the studio. I have a "real job" and don't have the time to be a full time marketer. I wanted to make "extra money on the weekends". But in order to do that for yourself, you need to be working full time during the week building your business.

So, when folks like you are beginning to go down the same road I did -- I do my best to help you learn a lesson I wish I had.

If you want to pursue photography as a business -- it's more about the business than the photography.

Lee
    edited August 1, 2009
    leebase wrote:
    The best of all worlds is to be the most amazing business person and artist. BUT -- while awaiting to be perfect in all areas -- put your time and money into the business part.

This set of photos does not scream "ready to put out the shingle in 6 months' to me. BUT -- that does not mean you can't be successful. Pleasing your clients is a lot easier than pleasing other photographers.

I could comment on the "dead eyes" that are in several of those photos or other particulars, but really, I think your best interest would be in thinking "how am I going to make money at this".

Spending time on your branding, advertising, sales, packages etc. There's every bit a much to learn in that arena as in the photography itself. It's better to be better at the business.

You might wonder "why would Lee recommend I sell crappy photos". Well, they are not crappy. Those photos might not be "first rate professional photography" but they are certainly something a mother would love and if you are better at selling to that mother than the next photographer -- you win.

Also, I did the opposite. I spent years on my photography -- on my gear and software and skill both behind the camera and behind the computer. And I could have made more money doing none of that and working for UPS in the evenings and weekends.

I shot weddings for studios and brides paid $5,000 or so for my services. I get $600 of that. So I stopped shooting for studios -- and I stopped getting brides willing to pay $5,000 (or even $2,000) for my photography.

Why? Because I don't market like the studio. I have a "real job" and don't have the time to be a full time marketer. I wanted to make "extra money on the weekends". But in order to do that for yourself, you need to be working full time during the week building your business.

So, when folks like you are beginning to go down the same road I did -- I do my best to help you learn a lesson I wish I had.

If you want to pursue photography as a business -- it's more about the business than the photography.

Lee

Thank you Lee! That was a wonderful explaination of your previous comment and I appreciate your advice!:sweet It makes total sense now.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Welcome Amy!

I think some of your shots are lovely, some miss the mark a bit, but who am I to judge?! I am following a similar path, I am a grandma that began doing this 18 months ago. I do make a little money here and there, but I am learning and growing day by day.And I love it.

This is a wonderful place to share and learn. You'll get valuable advice. It will be fun to follow you on your journey!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited August 1, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Welcome Amy!

I think some of your shots are lovely, some miss the mark a bit, but who am I to judge?! I am following a similar path, I am a grandma that began doing this 18 months ago. I do make a little money here and there, but I am learning and growing day by day.And I love it.

This is a wonderful place to share and learn. You'll get valuable advice. It will be fun to follow you on your journey!!

Thank you! :)
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Hi again, Amy :)

Do you have a gray card? I found that it helps a lot to have a more accurate white balance.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1249142035/ref=a9_sc_1?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gray%20card
    edited August 1, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Hi again, Amy :)

Do you have a gray card? I found that it helps a lot to have a more accurate white balance.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1249142035/ref=a9_sc_1?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gray%20card

No, I don't, but thanks for the link! I usually can find something gray in the area I'm shooting, but not always. thumb.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    leebase wrote:

Lee

Amy, excuse my hi-jack of the thread but it's a bit related as well. Not trying to step on toes here, either. That being said....

When the former takes over the latter, you should lock the doors and turn in your tax ID! Creativity should NEVER take a backseat to productivity...PERIOD.
    edited August 1, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    When the former takes over the latter, you should lock the doors and turn in your tax ID! Creativity should NEVER take a backseat to productivity...PERIOD.

If you want to be an artist, be an artist. If you want to run a business, even a business creating art -- be better at the business part.

Well...unless being a starving artist is attractive.

For most of us, the allure of photography is in the creative process. We love creating great images. We see the images others make and it inspires us. We love the reaction we get from others who appreciate our work.

And at some point, many of us think "you know, I could make money at this". All I'm saying is -- when you make THAT decision -- it's no longer about satisfying the artist within, it's about running a business. Or it should be -- IF -- you actually want to make money.

Lee
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I'm not sure you ar still up for some critique, but here's some. I think #1 has a slight green color cast to it. Kinda like swamp baby or something. On the other hand, it might just be my monitor.

2 and 5 seem to be slightly out of focus to me. A bit soft. Like with 2, the dad is sharp, but the kid is not. 5, it almost seems like you went closer than the minimum focus distance. This might again be me. I'm not a hug fan of those soft focus effects most of the time. I'd rather slice bread with photos and all that.

Corn boy is actually pretty cool shot. But again, I think there is a really green color cast to the picture, no doubt from the reflected light. The boy reminds me of a Martian caught setting up to do some crop circles. Now, I think it might be the green look. But I like the framing. Worked out nicely (for me at least.)

4 is good too I think. Background is out of focus, and the overall warm color cast works for me. The problem I think though is that its somewhat OOF. Note the sleeve is crisp and you can make out the weave of the material. But you can also see that the arm is closer to the camera than the face. I was thinking it was motion blur that was ruining it, but I think instead its probably focus. Maybe both.

Last is great, except the background I think is too busy. I don't like all the cars. Perhaps opening the lens up a bit, or probably best, getting a different background might help?

Hopefully this is what you wanted. Its my honest opinion.
    edited August 2, 2009
    I'm not sure you ar still up for some critique, but here's some. I think #1 has a slight green color cast to it. Kinda like swamp baby or something. On the other hand, it might just be my monitor.

2 and 5 seem to be slightly out of focus to me. A bit soft. Like with 2, the dad is sharp, but the kid is not. 5, it almost seems like you went closer than the minimum focus distance. This might again be me. I'm not a hug fan of those soft focus effects most of the time. I'd rather slice bread with photos and all that.

Corn boy is actually pretty cool shot. But again, I think there is a really green color cast to the picture, no doubt from the reflected light. The boy reminds me of a Martian caught setting up to do some crop circles. Now, I think it might be the green look. But I like the framing. Worked out nicely (for me at least.)

4 is good too I think. Background is out of focus, and the overall warm color cast works for me. The problem I think though is that its somewhat OOF. Note the sleeve is crisp and you can make out the weave of the material. But you can also see that the arm is closer to the camera than the face. I was thinking it was motion blur that was ruining it, but I think instead its probably focus. Maybe both.

Last is great, except the background I think is too busy. I don't like all the cars. Perhaps opening the lens up a bit, or probably best, getting a different background might help?

Hopefully this is what you wanted. Its my honest opinion.

Your story of the little Martian is cracking me up! That's my youngest and he would totally be the time to do crop circles and get into trouble! That's how he got into the corn field in the first place, running away from me! lol

Thanks for the other comments as well. Focus is something I'm struggling with given my current camera. It only has 3 focus points and sometimes I think I've got it and then it's off. I try to do more manual focus, but that's not easy when you're chasing kids. So, that's the main reason for the upgrade to the D300. thumb.gif
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    AmyMathews wrote:
    Your story of the little Martian is cracking me up! That's my youngest and he would totally be the time to do crop circles and get into trouble! That's how he got into the corn field in the first place, running away from me! lol

Thanks for the other comments as well. Focus is something I'm struggling with given my current camera. It only has 3 focus points and sometimes I think I've got it and then it's off. I try to do more manual focus, but that's not easy when you're chasing kids. So, that's the main reason for the upgrade to the D300. thumb.gif

If you can do manual focus, then you are good. I'm just not fast enough, and it seems that 99% of the time, my cameras do better than I can with the small screen and no real focusing aids.
    edited August 2, 2009
    If you can do manual focus, then you are good. I'm just not fast enough, and it seems that 99% of the time, my cameras do better than I can with the small screen and no real focusing aids.
    My "nifty 50" will not auto focus on my camera, so I have to manually focus with it. It sucks, but it's helped me learn a lot too.